1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The myth that Dwight Howard is good at posting up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm going to build a scenario to illustrate synergy's problems when a player gets continuously doubled.

I post up 150 times

50 times i get single coverage, i choose to try to score in this scenario, i score 50 points from those attempts, i turn it over 5 times, i have a 1 ppp.

The other 100 times i get double teamed, 25 times i try to score, and i get stripped at a bit higher rate, 5 times, but i still score 25 points from these, i have a 1 ppp.

The other 75 times i try to pass the ball, i turn the ball over 25 times, but almost every time i successfully pass the ball, the recipients score at 1.5ppp, however whenever i make a successful pass it counts as their possession and is no longer my post up, and every time i turn it over, it counts as a turnover on my post up.

Synergy's final figure for me is 100 attempts, 0.75 ppp with a 35% turnover rate. Does this sound familiar?

However my team's final result from such attempts is 150 points on 150 attempts, a ppp of 1.

This is why we look better with inside out yet Dwight's post results aren't personally exceptional, synergy punishes the double teamed and rewards the open man.

6 people like this.
  2. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

a very logical and well written response.

3. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

20 games over .500 and the only guy on this team to play every game. I am fine with whatever he is doing.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He do notice that if Dwight new where to spin he would conserve energy and score much better per a position. Man needs to learn to not spin into traffic...

5. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

I very much doubt our FO is letting us do so many Dwight post-ups just to keep him happy. More likely is that they believe it's possible he can improve to being a good post player again, but he needs to be allowed to practice in real games for that to happen.

And it seems to be working.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yet Dwight's team is in the third seed and Kevin Love's team is irrelevant.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Look at my signature. Those stats don't take into account the positive of effect of him posting up like collapsing the defense and his passing. People always find something to b**** about. He isn't Dream, but he's still the BEST center in the league, so I will take it.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While he certainly isn't a post up stud, I wanna see his prime Orlando numbers, and his Rockets numbers over the last 20 games or so.

He has shown a noticeable improvement as the season has progressed, he was terrible at the beginning of the year.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dwight has never proven that he's "good" in the post.

TOs
    Touch
    FTs

are all negatives with Dwight's efficiency.

Dwight has post game has improved this year vs years past, but that's only relative. Still not good overall IMO.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Is there any in-season breakdown stats? My test tells me his post up improved a lot from earlier this season. It'd be interesting to see how much he has improved. Or maybe that's myth too...

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Does his weak post ability make him...a light pole?

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's definitely been way better than he was the first 15-20 games or so. Stud player is a stud.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its similar to last year with the Lakers. But in his Orlando years, Dwight had better post up numbers.

It has to do with the type of post catches he gets. He'll always be much more efficient if he gets his catches in transition while he's on the move, or if he can make a very quick move immediately off the catch.

The longer he holds onto the ball, the less efficient he becomes. I bet if we knew how long he was holding onto the ball on post-ups this year compared to his prime Orlando years, we'll see that its much higher this year.

14. bro2044

bro2044 Member

This.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So..
    Dwight's post moves were better during prime ORL? Or did he just score more points?

He was more athletic in ORL for sure. His rebound and block number reflect it. Eye test says he doesn't jump nearly as high. Still good though.

16. bro2044

bro2044 Member

He's played every game.
    He's shooting over 58% (above career avg) from the field after a rather meh start to the season.
    His pts are down from the perceived "prime Dwight" however he's never played alongside another star outside of an out-of-sync Laker team, so I'll take his almost 20ppg next to Harden.
    He's an athletic defender that rebounds, blocks, and gets double-teamed on the other end of the court.
    I'll take it.

He has no in-game jumper (altho we see him sink them in practices...) close to the basket, so of course his post-game will suffer anyways... there's no options of close turnarounds, bank shots, and all the wonderful dreamesque moves that would heighten his overall post-game. We're spoiled for life there if we watched Dream anyways. Its a hook, layup, or dunk from both sides of the basket and thats it. or pick-and-roll and putbacks/alley-oops.

I'm glad that he's quickened his decision-making for the most part, but yeh his footwork and offensive options aren't good enough unless he's positioned himself well and gets a good entry pass. If he dribbles too far out, then yup, will probably be gone. Plus, he gets fouled and its probably not called a 1/3 of the time, which will lead to a missed basket or turnover. Maybe you can say that for every post-player, sure, but then again he his fewer options to score so it affects his greatly.

I guess with every player you take the good with the bad, and with Dwight we already know his strengths and weaknesses. There are certain things he may never develop, and I'm sure we'd love him to, but heck...as fondly as I remember Yao, I cringed when he'd get it stolen by smaller players all game because he wouldn't keep it above his head/not dribble. To be honest, I think Howard is playing at a high-level, and with his numbers as they are next to Harden, I'm pretty sure its on that same level as Orlando Dwight at this point in the season.

I'm happier overall with this team's performance than I have been in a long, long time, but I get what the OP is saying. That being said...f the stats.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Assuming 90% of his assist opportunities are from post and 50% of free throw attempts are caused by fouls while in the post, his ppp would be 0.91 ppp for times Dwight shots (0.75 ppp), gets fouled w/o making basket (1.08 ppp), or has an assist opportunity (1.2 ppp) out of the post.

References: stats.nba.com, mysynergysports.com, basketball reference.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Got any stats on the last 20 games compared to the first 36? This thread is garbage. The post game works in the playoffs. The team is just now learning how to get Howard the ball in his spots and a good ole fashion eye test will tell you something is different compared to the beginning of the year.

Continue to post up Dwight. It's the only way we win a championship in a league that lost the art of posting up.

This thread does not take into account the improvement or continued improvement we will see.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We are 3rd in the wild Wild west The hottest team in the NBA right now lol with Dwight pretty much dominating in every game during this hot streak ( 17-5 since the beginning of year. And some fans complaining about his post not being up to par.

Lol gotta love clutch city

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

His 45.2% is one of the best post up FG%'s in the league. Higher than all but Brook Lopez and Al Jefferson, IIRC.

Obviously, there are other factors involved. Just pointing that out.