1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Vent) University of Houston.. Changing Major to Business..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Feb 24, 2014.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

So they got this new rule they started to implement this year that you can't change your major to business major if you have 45+ hrs...

I have 44 hrs and by the end of this semester I would have 57-60 hrs done therefore they won't allow me to change my major to business.

This has got me pissed off. I seriously don't know what to do now. I thought that we could switch our majors anytime and then they tell me this rule today... What the heck is this shizzzz

I don't wanna be stuck with a Kinesiology Degree or do any degree relating to science.. now what?

Computer Information System or Supply Chain Management Logistics?

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

That is some bs, why would UH do that?

3. SexyButIgnorant

Classical Studies is where the money's at bro.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Drop out of school right now so you don't get anymore credits. Start again next semester with 44 credits.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

IF you fail the courses you dont get the credits.

6. SK34

SK34 Member

I only have 6 withdraws.. I don't wanna use all my withdraws.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Can you go from a business major to a different major?

8. spydermex

spydermex Member

thats dumb, what if you wanted to do a dual degree?

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The college is probably crowded with transfers and they don't want to dilute their GPA or ranking.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Major in Econ and Minor in Business?

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Switch to accounting.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Either or both, or even learn to love science.

Better yet, bite the bullet and transfer. Texas has an unbelievably high number of colleges compared to most states down here and in general, so you get more options with in-state tuition and they've all got business schools, just check for AACSB and probably go ahead and major in Accounting.

Maybe give this a once over so you're not calling another audible two or three years in.

13. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

At UH you can't double major with different degree terminology. So if you want to major in Economics which is either a BA or BS you can't double major along with Finance which at Bauer is a BBA. Kind of dumb, but it is what it is. That's the reason why I decided to major in Econ and minor in finance, and along the road I will go back for my MBA.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He might need a grad degree to get mileage with an econ bachelors at a state school.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well, I hope it's not too saturated. I wanted to start sometime soon but I need to seek professional advice.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When did UH become this stupid? Bummer, OP.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

UT hasn't been doing this for years? I really think it's just about simultaneously handling too large an applicant/transfer pool and trying to beef up their rankings. I think we all just got used to the convenience of having an underutilized but fully accredited college in the largest job market before college enrollment stats caught up with reality and UT and A&M reached critical mass.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Accounting , Finance can't go wrong with either one. Accounting has more job opportunities . Also I know a lot of accountants doing finance stuff.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Probably stems from a resentment of students jumping onto business as a backup in mind while carrying along poor to mediocre grades from the previous majors.

If you're a dept. head, you don't want that crap diluting your numbers when the people who stuck to it are getting higher grades (quality of grades is a different thing)

I think they're doing him a favor though. Business and International Relations are so broad a major that anything outside of more schooling or networking will sink his chances of landing the job he wants out of college.

Accounting is a great idea if you want to do something businessy without sinking into indentured servitude inbetween the time you graduate, get experience, then an MBA.

CIS or SCML are decent majors, though with the former, you kinda want to be technical otherwise you'll become a pointy head douchebag manager no one on the team likes or relates to...

20. SK34

SK34 Member

They can have GPA requirements to be in the certain College. Business College for UH is 3.0 GPA to be in it. So GPA isn't the case.