1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have waived Ronnie Brewer and signed Troy Daniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets0515, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

Does Morey waive casspi for a vet 4 ?

2. steady

steady Member

Apart from Garcia who is 33, the seniors on the team now are Howard (who recently turned 28) and Asik (27).

:eek:

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yup. Brewer/Casspi/Garcia sucking it up? Hello Covington/Daniels/Hamilton. They could be great and take Casspi/Cisco's minutes, or their mere presence could light a fire under their asses. Win-win, if you ask me.

I like.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Daniels AVERAGES 14 three point attempts a game.......

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

he's still 40%

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Makes it more impressive that he is shooting over 40%.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Anthony Morrow 2.0?

8. Nook

Nook Member

Went to VCU and graduated last year.

He was ONLY a three point shooter in college and that is not an exaggeration.. he shot literally 90% of his shots from 3 last year.

He was not drafted because there were some concerns that he could not put the ball on the floor and because, while he shot well from 3's (38%), it wasn't good enough to entice a team to draft him as a snipper.

Since the Rockets coaches in the NBDL got him, he has improved driving to the basket and getting his shots in the flow of the offense. Also, his defense is better.

He has a quick release and long arms, he can shoot over people.

9. Clarinetmonster

I would love to see these guys break the rotation but don't you think McHale will keep going with what's not working?!?!? I think Covington in particular could be more useful and a better shooter than Casspi.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I see no reason why this pickup and potential veteran buyout are mutually exclusive. For one thing, he's only owed what, maybe $200K? It's supposedly unguaranteed next year, which means it's only for the rest of this season. By NBA standard that is chump change.

To me this seems like a perfect case of covering all your options. With the deadline passing and teams like Orlando and Philly buying out these vets, they'll also want to sign players they feel have upside. The Rockets signing Daniels preclude him from being signed by someone else, because you know someone's going to take a flyer on him.

The veteran buyout guy may or may not come to fruition. The right player may not be released, or he may not want to come to Houston. In which case, Daniels is Plan B. But should someone like Granger is willing to take our Room Exception for the rest of the season, and Morey likes him, Daniels simply gets released, Les eats 200K, and we sign Granger.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He has an elite skill. I've been hoping they would sign this kid for quite a while now. I was really concerned that some other team would sign him before the Rockets did. We will see how will his 3pt shooting translates to the NBA where players close out on the 3pt line much quicker.

12. Nook

Nook Member

They are two seperate moves. If the Rockets really want one of the waived players they can get one and waive Smith...... Also, I think Daniels is better than Granger, Terry or Gordon at this point.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Highly likely they won't see the court unless there's an injury, but I'll just hope for the best anyway lol. Maybe even just the threat of young competition will push them to step up their game.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Not entirely true. He runs the floor well, and isn't bad in transition. Defensively he has improved too.

Look, he isn't going to be a star but with his ability to get his shot off and his size he could be a good player... he isn't entirely one diminsional.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, Daniels is better than those guys right now. If someone special becomes available they can always make a move.

16. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes.... shooting 40% on 13 threes a game is very impressive. Also, he takes many of them 2-3 feet behind the line and gets rid of the ball very quickly.

He shoots 46% on 3's at home....

Not bad for a kid cut twice from his junior high team.

18. Mitchmantc

Mitchmantc Member

I agree 1000%

Given his track record, Morey deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I'd be lying if I said I was completely happy with the moves the last 2 days. If this was any of the last 3-4 seasons, i'd support trading proven NBA-level talent for potential but I always thought these "low risk, high reward" moves would stop once we got back into the championship picture & we would start to follow the more traditional route of signing veteran players to low cost deals.

That is just my initial feeling though. Like I said before, Morey has more than earned the benefit of the doubt, so i'll reserve judgement until the end of the season.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Just keep in mind that there is a reason that players like Jason Terry and Ben Gordon were cut. They have played at a subpar level this year, the same with Danny Granger.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Are trying to win a championship or develop young talent. How about we wait and see if Terry, Granger or Davis get released before we start adding dleague talent. We still have yet to make a move that'll help advance us in the playoffs. Meanwhile the Clippers & Pacers are aggressively tryna win a ring