1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Casspi still getting playing time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 18, 2014.

1. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

much of the Casspi hate come from DoF posters.

are u so unsure about Dmo skills, that u need to belittle any player who (in your mind) threaten his minutes ?

2. makio9

makio9 Member

Casspi is here because McHale recruited him. Understandably, there's going to be some playing time there.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Morey been developing him, he was All star MVP yesterday, was working our with Howard the night before at 2am. Howard told media yesterday I feel that he can help us now he has a good 3 SHOT & has left band size to play good D, "I just tell him to keep working and be patient" Howard said. That's why I think Morey hasn't brought anyone in just yet. He's on contract 3 more years so no rush.

Moreys tweet to feigen yesterday

"@Jonathan_Feigen @Holla_At_Rob33 (ROBERT COVINGTONS) has been impressing me"

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Just my .02c
    Casspi is having career highs in TS% (54%), A/40, SHEFF and PER. Kudos to the coaching staff for generally get the most out of Casspi. Casspi converts fast breaks at a good clip which fits with the team. They should try to get him some more attempts from the corner for 3's and see if his good clip from that area holds up.

5. bongman

bongman Member

Interpretation : I am propping up his trade vale :)

6. Oracle

Oracle Member

I had a look at your spoiler and you are absolutely right. People have to realize that we are not looking for an individual good player with significant salary. Morey has two problems that he needs to deal with. First, he needs to pay Parsons, but he can postpone that a little bit. To bring in a third star class player, he has something like $17 mil to play this year with (=Asik and Lin salaries) granted that he wants to keep it under the salary cap. However, in the end some of that goes to Parsons new contract. Ilyasova's contract may be restrictive to keeping Parsons. I don't think that is a good idea. Ariza has only 30 games left on his contract and it is difficult to know what he demands after that. I'm not sure that he is that much of an improvement for the Rockets. He does not shoot every night the way he did in Houston. Therefore, IMO, Morey is looking at getting a 1st round pick or a good player on a rookie contract for Asik and/or Lin.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The disclaimer on this thread should read: Minimum salary player that's playing above expectations. Any comments, negative or positive, should be mindful of that fact. Carry on...

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

He is probably the most frustrating Rocket to watch.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Dude thinks he's a Parsons and Harden hybrid. Instead of shooting the damn open shot he pump fakes to try to drive.

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I still don't understand why they don't just bring Robert up and let him play Casspi's mins. Can't be any worst than it's going now.

Casspi just keep trying to drive and do random passout, he seem to not hit his 3's much lately.

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

J Ham about to bring it

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Well we have Jordan Hamilton now so you won't have to worry about Casspi/Garcia ever getting extended minutes again.

McHale giving Casspi that much PT over D-Mo is mindboggling

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Casspi is one of the worst rotation players in the NBA. Couldn't even make it on the Cavs of all teams. Dude thinks/plays like he's a superstar, but can't shoot, can't hit free throws, makes dumb decisions.

I can't think of a single thing Casspi does well.

16. allaroundplayer

Why is Casspi still on the Rockets???? is the real question......

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

stand and shoot. I would rather see him just do that then try do something off the dribble. Even if he's missed 8 times because otherwise he just turns it over.

18. quatin

quatin Member

Honestly, I don't think Casspi is playing bad. The problem is we expect too much out of him.

Casspi is a back up stretch 4. You expect him to nail open shots and drive occasionally. However, with the sad state of our back up perimeter players, he's sometimes the #2 option in the game with Lin and even if he's having a bad game, Garcia wouldn't do any better. We are sorely missing one more perimeter shooter.

19. The Jabberwock

Well, that's very insistent of you, ItalianRocket... Gotta give you that much. ;)
    No matter how many data-backed answers you get from various fellow CFs,
    you keep asking the same thing each time Casspi misses 2-3 shots in a row... :)

Oh well, never mind - I don't mind trying to provide the answers again.
    I'll bring different points and and data each time, so I don't get bored with this.
    Deal? Here goes -

The things that most of us CFs expect from Omri are basically 3 & D, right?
    Let's check those, then.

★ 3:
    Well, as much as I hate this fact, even when Casspi is not shooting well from beyond the arc,
    he is still our 2nd best 3PT shooter (Now that AB is gone).
    With 35.4% he is better than any other Rocket except CP (39.8%).
    Look it up yourself here: http://stats.nba.com/teamPlayers.

★ D:
    No room for too many words. The figures speak louder, anyway.
    Just look at Opponents' stats when Omri is on/off court. (NOTE DISCLAIMER BELOW)
    *All stats from http://stats.nba.com/teamOnOffDetails.html?TeamID=1610612745&MeasureType=Opponent
    ** Opponents performance measures are per 48 minutes.

[​IMG]
    It seems like Casspi sure makes the effort on D... :cool:
    His EFFECT ON THE OVERALL TEAM DEFENSE is very positive, to put it mildly:
    ★ Perimeter D? Omri ranks absolute 1st in our team in keeping opponents 3PT% down in the periods he is on court.
    ★ You mentioned decision making? He is 2nd (to D-Mo) in forcing TOs and 1st in avoiding blocks during his watch.
    ★ More top-seeds? The other team makes less assists when Omri is on court than at the presence of anyone else.
    ★ Less impressive figures? Opponents REBs and STLs are average or less under Omri's watch.

DISCLAIMER: It should be noted that as a bench player Casspi doesn't usually play against the other team's best rotation.
    This is certainly a factor that plays against the starters, lowering their ranking in this "opponent performance" matrix above.
    Still, that would probably not account for ALL the variance in rankings.
    If the opponents' skill level was the entire story you wouldn't find 2 starters like PBev and TJ on opposing ends of the list
    in so many boxes above... ou may also note that our bench players are NOT all grouped together in all the boxes,
    and that no other bench player (Not even Asik!) is so consistently high in these ranking as Omri is.

20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He hustles, cuts well to the basket, good on the fast break. He plays hard even though he may be outmatched (not a real 4 but not his fault). His shot is lost and it's frustrating but for the most part he is a serviceable BENCH player. The coaching staff need to recognize when he's off to give someone else a shot, like last night Dmo should have played more.

Casspi doesn't make playing decisions. If you want to blame someone, blame the coach.