1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yay for Austin!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SLA, May 11, 2003.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Samsung as well.

I like Austin, but I think almost every big city (besides Detroit and the deep south) can be what you make of it. Would like to move to Houston one of these days.

Austin is pretty close to perfect, though I do sometimes with there were more Asians.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Solectron
    National Instruments
    Tokyo Electron
    Applied Reseach Labs

Austin's growth was out of control for awhile, but the overbuilding of apartment complexes has plummetted rents around town to new lows. Next month I'm moving to Montevista, on the canyon off 360 next to Lake Austin. My rent is only $890 for a 2/2 1070 sq. ft apartment.

Not to mention all the newer apartments on the Metric/Parmer/Wells Branch areas that are going for dirt cheap.

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

You can add all the apartments on 620 as well - what I like to call Apartment Ave. I live at the Verandah and pay only $625 for a 950 sq. ft 1/1 apartment that was built a few years ago.

One thing remains the same about Austin: People will ALWAYS want to live here no matter how crappy the economy is. Thats a fact.

There is still a lot of growth, otherwise I wouldnt have been offered to transfer back here in the first place (I work on the sales end of the construction industry). There are new subdivisions (especially the master planned golf course communities) sprouting up everywhere (Lakeline, Leander, Cedar Park, Hutto, Kyle, Manor), although probably not as quickly as they were about 3 years ago.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

For every big company that you tick off in Austin there are 20 that big in Houston.

But I'm being childish. Austin is actually a great town and I love to visit there. Its a blast, has some good bars ans music, has some pretty scenery, however, I do believe that people tend to over-rate Austin because they view it as "unique." Its not that unique, there are a lot of other small citites in the U.S. that tend to be liberal and have lots of bars...BUT Austin still is fun rrreeegart-less.

5. Heretic

Heretic Member

How far out is the Veranda if you don't mind me asking drewdog? Those kind of prices sound dirt cheap.

I'm moving from south austin back up north at the end of july and I'm looking at being close to ACC northridge and parmer/I-35 where I work.

6. Drewdog

Pretty far out there for you (620 and 2222). I got it because I wanted to be close to work (Parmer and 620).

For you I would suggest the area of Parmer Ln. between Mopac and 620 (near Motorolla). Lots of apartments - good rates.

I have a buddy of mine that does Apartment locating that can REALLY help you out. His name is Will - phone: 231-9888. Give him a call in the mornings and tell him Drew referred you. He will let you know all the deals right now, etc.

Just talk to Will - dude knows his stuff. Let me know how it goes.

Drewdog

7. Heretic

Heretic Member

Cool, thanks man.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dude. I work with Will. Will is awesome .

9. Drewdog

Jesus dont tell me you know Phillip too - guy that referred Will to me. Thats who I work with.

Small world though..... :D

Will has a saweeeeet Tahoe.

10. Baqui99

If you're taking classes at Northridge, there's TONS of apts less than 5 years old right down the street. The Marquis at Walkers Bluff, AMLI Stonehollow, Camden Huntingdon, Village at Gracy Farms, and Renaissance are all dirt cheap right now.

Drew, the 620 area is really suffering from vacancies. My friend got a 2/1 at Jefferson Canyon for $570. :eek: That's freakin cheap for a place that's so new.

11. Drewdog

Dayum!! :eek: Wish I would have looked there! I almost feel bad for them, almost..... Im trying to save up for a condo in the Far West area. With intrest rates at their lowest, and the housing market being a buyers market, now is a good time to buy. I just hope I dont miss the boat in 2004.

12. SLA

SLA Member

I know Houston was #15 on the list....but it's not bad to be like Jayson Blair. Exaggerate and make stuff up!

Jeez you haters! Bashing me for putting "Cities in California" and "Houston" together!

I will remember next time I post on this board to put "(Cities in California) and (Houston) were no where to be found!"

Lord!

Anyways.....Mummywrap...thanks for the appreciation. ;) Go Texas!

13. Baqui99

I'm at Far West and Woodhollow right now. There's plenty of townhomes and condos in this area. Not sure how much they're selling for though.