1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

I've been arguing something similar. If Lin were playing the role of a traditional PG, then it would make sense to upgrade to Rondo. There would be two scenarios:

1) Rondo brought in. Nothing else changes, and he plays Lin's role with Harden as the primary ball handler. The results would be similar to now, plus Rondo would be pissed off.
    2) Rondo brought in. Harden forced to adapt his game. Now the team is playing a completely different style with a PG centered offense. Results unknown because we never tried it with Lin.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The concern I have with Lin is whether he can handle some of the elite super athletic aggressive defensive teams in the playoffs-- Miami and OKC in particular are two teams the Rockets would have to beat if it hopes to win a title and Lin has so far struggled greatly against them.

His ball-handling ability just isn't great, at least at this point in his career, and this is not likely to change by April. The real top players like Rondo and Melo have just had more of a proven history of being able to handle these foes.

I don't think Lin is a bad player. He has had success against even some good to very good teams (like the Spurs) and still has the potential to improve. And I wouldn't just make a deal with him in a lateral talent move unless there are some serious overriding considerations (like if Morey has word that Bosh want out of Miami and is willing to sign for $16M if only Morey clears 2014 cap space).

But if you can get a proven elite commodity at this point, you have to do it. And for any of these deals, Lin's name (and Asik's name) will have to be discussed even just as a matter of the salary matching rules.

3. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Struggled? Lin hasn't even played against Miami in the playoffs before. Not as Knick or a Rocket. He played some against OKC in last season's playoffs, but the only reason this team even got as far as it did was because Bev injured Westbrook.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lin has played in the regular season against both teams and have struggled badly. The sample size is not huge but it's significant enough to be concerned.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01/splits/

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

He only played 25 games with the Knicks and became a starter for the first time. Last season was mostly spent recovering strength in his knee (which explains why he looks so much better now). Given those circumstances, I wouldn't say 4 games against Miami really establishes a trend. He's better against OKC, but this entire team in general struggles against them.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You have to admit that Melo and Rondo are very flawed NBA players. And very expensive. I certainly do not buy into the third star fixation that every fan here displays. The only NBA team with three stars is the Heat. And with the new CBA is that model reproducible unless a team has a bazillionaire Russian owner? And sorry the Spurs do not have three stars anymore.

And so what do the Rockets need to have a good shot at the chip? My first inclination is to say nothing. But for arguments sake let's consider it. What type of player can damage the Rockets seriously in a playoff series? I would speculate that it is the tall mobile excellent shooters in the league who can also defend like Durant and LBJ. But we should look at it by position:

Center: Howard. Nobody is lighting that man up in a seven game series. Period. He might not win a series against the likes of Hibbert but he certainly is not going to lose a series either.

Power Forward: Jones/D-Mo. Here falls a select few dangerous opponents. Love, Blake, Dirk, West. Jones IMHO has become a borderline defensive liability. He is too inattentive to handle players like Dirk and Love, and not strong enough to handle Blake or West. D-Mo on the other hand is big enough to bang with NBA power forwards and has shown amazing growth within the schemes of NBA defenses recently. I would wait on any upgrade.

SF: Parsons. Problem here. This is Durant's and LBJ's spot. I could see either of them going off for 30+ in five or more games in a playoff series. A position becomes an extreme problem if you are losing 10+ points a game there.

SG: Harden. There is no shooting guard in the NBA that can outdo Harden overall in a seven game series. So certainly not a problem.

PG: Bev. The Chris Paul's of the league might light Bev up, but he is going to be there scratching their eyeballs out every play. Besides there are what, 3 point guards in the league in Paul's class? Not a problem.

What do I take away from the above shallow analysis? The Rockets need a lock down defensive small forward in a playoff series. Offense is optional at the position. Certainly not the most popular conclusion around here though.

So who fills that spot in the NBA? Ideally Paul George of course. But he is absolutely not available. If I was the coaching staff I personally would take Parsons out to the wood shed and beat him until he focuses almost completely on defense.

7. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I agree with pretty much all you said.

I like the guy as a player and love the guy as a person. Love the story. Love when he plays well.

But, I share some of the same concerns, although as you say, it's a small sample size.

He did however, have probably his most impressive game of the season last year vs. OKC in the game where Harden went "Barber" on Ibaka.

Would love to see him HEALTHY in the playoffs. Would love to see some redemption for the guy during the playoffs.

I do think he'll get that opportunity with the Rockets, but it's definitely possible he could be moved.

8. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

He's only played in one playoffs. Knicks made it because Lin saved their season, but he sat out (delusional fans still wanted him to play despite having knee surgery only 5 weeks earlier). He was healthy entering his first playoffs against OKC, but took a hard shot to the chest from KD. Simply put, we're dealing with a sample size of 1 and all the speculated conclusions that come from it.

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

lol, yes I'm well aware of those circumstances.

Redemption is still something I'd like to see. He was "busted up" by some for not playing for NY and then busted up for not playing well last year, even though he was obviously a shell of what he's normally capable of.

I'd almost guarantee you he'd use the word redemption when it comes to the playoffs.

10. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Along with the word opportunity and healthy.

11. gene18

gene18 Rookie

He is a mean dude who will probably alienate many of his team members like he did in Boston. Not to mention his last coach Doc. Rivers.

12. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Best Durant Stopper? Acquiring Durant

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

shorter feigen- don't rule out the thing I predicted, so when or if something or anything happens, or maybe doesn't, I'll say I told you so. or not. don't rule it out.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

JJ is stinking it up!

Edit: Wrong thread

15. visible

visible Member

You should more worry about Parsons positions from those teams.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I thought signing Dwight Howard was that move.

It's bad enough that a lot of people think having two max players isn't enough to contend this year, but you're saying it's not enough to contend NEXT year either?

17. Stats

Stats Member

Agreed. All the top tier contenders have a elite SF. Either chandler needs to refocus on his def in the championships or we need to get that Lebron/George/Durant stopper, although less concerned about George offensively.

18. TheFreak

I thought we were supposed to have the best GM in the NBA? Why is it that having 2 max players in their prime and the best at their positions isn't enough to have us in serious contention? Why do we need another 'big trade' to contend with OKC, who really has had only one max player healthy this year? I don't think SA has any max players at all on their roster right now. Miami has only LBJ playing at a max level and does Indiana have any max players at all? Why are we so content to keep waiting to win big games? Is our GM not good enough to make significant incremental adds that solidify our supposedly strong foundation that includes 2 max players in their prime and a borderline all-star in Parsons along with a player that is apparently too good to trade for anything short of an all-star in Asik?

19. TheFreak

Wait, aren't we supposed to have the best defensive center in the league? Why do we need stud wing defenders if that's the case?

Lee is on the small side?

Seriously?

[​IMG]

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You need to have someone you can trust on your bench that can come in and help when the team is struggling. Can you honestly say with a straight face that you trust Lin to come in and lead the charge when the team is struggling? I like Lin but Houston doesn't have anyone on the bench you can call on to score regardless of the opponent. That's why I'm more in support of Morey trading Lin for some bench depth rather than using Asik. With Asik, you have someone that can rebound and play defense. That used to be a huge hole before Asik started playing again.

1 person likes this.