1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: "Heard some news about some potential deal involving Jeremy Lin"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rocketblood713

I hope its Asik + Lin for Lebron like Rice Man said or is it Rice Cake... *shrugs*

2. hamsession

hamsession Member

Lin + Asik for Melo. Man, that would be sweet. Melo, Harden, Howard equals championship.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hey let's grab Kyrie Irving for Casspi and a first round pick too

4. hltiki

hltiki Member

**** the 1st rounder, get Blake or Durant. Silver will be forced to change the rules so that there will be 5 balls on the court.

5. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

they lost:
    Jason Kidd
    Rasheed Wallace
    Chis Copland
    Kurt Thomas
    (good) J R Smith

6. neostars

neostars Member

Yes 2 ball hog on the same. That going to win u a championship.

7. jocar

jocar Member

8. jocar

jocar Member

found one!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Lol, I was trying to figure out how I started this thread since I posted the opening comment in the random trade thread, then realised clutch did it for me.

I ended up listening to the entire podcast and he just sounds depressed, he now sticks up for Brooklyn more than the Knicks when callers bash the respected teams

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

would be extremely stupid. As a fan of the Rockets I care much more about their success then the GARM.

1 person likes this.
  11. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Yeah, it'd be the Knicks. The remaining teams that do not have a NBA-quality starting point guard are tanking, they aren't going to give up assets to get an expensive point guard who will only hurt them by giving them a few extra wins.

But it's hard to come up with a trade that makes sense for both sides. The only assets the Knicks have are Hardaway Jr. and maybe Shumpert. Them two straight up for Lin doesn't seem like a trade the Knicks would do, and Morey isn't going to deal Lin for just Hardaway.

My guess is they are using Lin to the Knicks, Hardaway Jr. to the Rockets as a baseline, and are trying to bring in a 3rd team to find something that works. Maybe a taker for Asik, maybe a taker for Knicks bad salary, a veteran contributor to send to the Rockets, etc.

Don't hold your breath.

12. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Yes, in your dream.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bottom line: The Melo Hit is what is in play for the Knicks. 'What does Melo want???'

Bottomer line: More sense, if any sense at all, would be a three-way with JLin to Raps for Lowry to Knixies, then the deal gets built.

14. Nook

Nook Member

He also broke LBJ and Bosh signing in Miami with Wade. He didn't throw it out there as a possibility, he said it was happening and got into detail about Riley and LBJ and Maverick Carter and Bosh being an after thought... So he sometimes breaks news.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Exactly. Clutch is missing the bigger point. Melo was running the team then when they decided not to sign Lin. What I disagree with or am not so sure about is if Melo is running the show now.

Melo is definitely unhappy. He wants to win and he wants to do it now. He has already declared he is looking forward to free agency. He knows what the Knicks can offer him. 30 mil more than anyone else. If he was planning on staying he could have easily declared that. The Knicks want assurances he will stay. He hasn't given them any assurances.

You have to remember the Knicks are owned by MSG Network. They have boatloads of money. Not saying they want to throw it away but Linsanity was making them a profit. They could have easily road that boat if only Melo said yes please. He didn't. The first words out of his mouth after Houston made it's offer was, “It’s not up to me. It’s up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract that’s out there.”

Since when did Melo determine what contracts are ridiculous. Melo clearly voiced his opinion which was don't pay that boy. But now he is not their Darling or at least the real possibility of walking is real. And MSG Network whose most important job is to put an entertaining product on TV is worried they will have crapola next year to air.

Losing Melo gives them nothing next year. They still will be in cap hell if he leaves with only the MLE to add someone and a team of Stoudemire, Bargnani, Felton JR Smith and Chandler to role out on the floor. MSG is terrified of that. They don't have a first round pick. In fact only 1 in the next three years and have traded all of their second round picks until 2018 :eek:. The Knicks are a mess and Melo wants to hold them hostage.

Lin is an alternative to Melo. If Melo walks they will have someone to showcase. Yeah he is not a star but he lead a starless team on an insanity tour the season before less. MSG can bank on his character. So the tank unintentionally in a year they own their first pick. They clean house that summer and witth Lin they only have 20 mil in cap used. If they somehow work a deal for Asik as well they have a reasonably young PG and center to build around. Even with bot those players they would still have enough for at least one Max player and another solid starter.

Melo is not coming back. He sees the hell that is the knicks and maybe just maybe the Knicks see what melo is. A flashy scoring superstar that will never win a championship. People about the poison pill contract of Lin but the really poison pill is Melo. If they resign him that team will be miserable for years to come. If they cut their losses now they will at least have a much quicker rebuilding process. When they got Melo MSG thought had the star they needed and let Lin walk. Now they realize that was a mistake and are trying to correct it.

If I'm the Knicks I trade Melo for Gasol and the Lakers first round pick. Sign Lin and move on. It's their best chance to get back on track and why they want to deal with us now and are ready to throw Hardaway in a deal. For Houston Lin is a high price to pay for a 6th man. For the Knicks Lin gives them a box office draw they hope. New York went crazy for Linsanity. Linsanity 2 is a real possibility. I just Morey sucks them dry if we do the deal.

16. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I think the LOFs would shi t their pants....a dream come true for them. I can see it now: Lin saves the Knicks Part 2. Morey...don't do it. Keep Lin!!

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I wouldn't mind Shumpert and Chandler for Asik and Lin. To me it still doesn't seem like Asik is happy to be here, but I could be just reading to much into his facial expressions. Salaries seem to match: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k4xaa3l

18. SachaShakur

SachaShakur Member

Oh my goodness…. we woudn't even make the play-offs … to much ball-hoggers …. seriously I hope you know this would't work !

to much it's my team on ONE team…..

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

possibly the worst argument i have ever heard.

all you have to look at is team USA, they have every superstar on the roster and have the ball moving around the perimeter like the current miami heat

20. Play07

Play07 Member

It's simple

YES: Lin + asik + pick = chandler, shumpert, hardaway
    NO : Lin + asik = chandler, shumpert
    YES : asik + brewer + smith/casspi + pick = chandler & shumpert