1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

May not be legit now, but I damn sure hope that changes. The ROX bench would be SOLID.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Amazing at how quiet this trade deadline has been. Very little coming out from anywhere. Of course that doesn't surprise me with the Rockets, as their real trades are almost never leaked until the deal is all but final. Still, you'd expect at least some informed speculation from some of the national guys.

3. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Maybe it can be

Asik + Lin + Casspi
    For
    Chandler + prigioni + shumpert or Hardaway Jr.

Prigioni can be a very usefull backup PG.

Chandler brings 48 minutes a fantastic ring protector

4. Classic

Classic Member

Getting Tyson Chandler for Asik would be pretty interesting.

I can envision lob city south.

5. theangrycanary

Weird. I'm having to repost this... must have hit wrong button or something.

Anyway. Asik for Chandler would make our bench way better in my opinion. Lin would have DMO and Chandler setting hard pics. He could lob to chandler off the pick and roll. And Garcia, Casspi, and DMO could stretch the floor. Defensively? Meh... but that bench could put up the points to hold their own against any bench in the league, which is what their primary job is.

I would take this trade in a heartbeat.

But Chandler and Lin would be eating 23 million in capspace next year. So... Morey would probably never do it. Thats a max contract player right there. I'm too lazy to go crunch all the numbers to see how the capspace would work out. But its pretty prohibitive. Plus Parsons needs to get paid and all that jazz.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Lin would have to be included. It would have to be Lin + Asik for Chandler + ____ (combination of Shumpert, Felton, Hardaway, etc).

If they'd give up Shumpert and Chandler for those two I'd take it. Shumpert is your wing defender with a decent outside shot and Chandler fulfills the backup C and much needed veteran leadership. I can't think of a better guy to help usher this team into the playoffs and bring some mental fortitude.

This is clearly speculation but I think it's plausible. The Knicks are one of the few teams that are likely to value Lin highly (someone to excite the fans again and sell tickets when 'Melo leaves). Also, being such a big spender, they would seem less likely to worry about the balloon payments next year.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Assik and Lin for TC would be paying 14 min to a guy coming off your bench, and what if he doesn't want to be a backup?

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

[​IMG]

Starter for now, trade asset later.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Chandler is injury prone, but if he's healthy, he's not a lesser Asik. He's way, way better.

As for Felton, he has a 4 million player option in 15-16. That is not happening.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ed Curry, man in slimmer years

11. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

And if I found a million bucks on the sidewalk my life would be pretty much made, but I don't see the point of talking about impossible hypotheticals.

Chandler is done, he will never be who he was in 2011 again.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

What he was last year is still better than Asik. Also, he might be willing to become a backup for years to come, al la Dikembe, which we know Asik has absolutely no interest in.

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lin + Asik for Chandler+ Shumpert or Hardaway?

Where do I sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

No way Knicks give up Hardaway Jr. Shumpert maybe.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Shumpert on this team would be NICE!

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

a) We are already set to pay Asik and Lin $15mm each to come off the bench next year ($8mm cap figures, but we'd basically be paying TC and Shumpert the same amount combined to come off the bench)

b) Unless he has a no trade clause he doesn't have a choice. It would be in his best interest to cooperate for 1.5 seasons and try to get another contract from somebody.

17. theangrycanary

Exactly. He IS injury. And he's hit that age where physically he's going to lose some of his skills fast. He's a seven footer with a lot of mileage. Plus, he knows this. He's already won a championship. He's not going to risk a sever injury by playing beyond himself. He's already got the money, the title, the recognition, etc.

Seeing as how this is reality, that makes him a lesser Asik in my book.

18. rocketsmetalspd

No way Knicks are giving up Hardaway Jr.

Chandler + Prigioni + Shumpert thought would be nice to have.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Any rumors involving us getting Felton from NY should be dismissed immediately as nonsensical chatter unless Carmelo Anthony's name is also attached.

20. rocketsmetalspd

Chandler for Asik + Brewer would work without giving up anyone else.