1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] How The Rockets Should Solve the Chandler Parsons Conundrum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Clarinetmonster

Are you saying replace Love with Parsons and the Wolves would be better??? Not sure I buy that.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

Trevor Ariza and Michael Beasley are not as good as Parsons. While they're shooting better this year, they're both really inneficient scorers historically. For Beasley's numbers you're extrapolating 15 minutes out to 36. That's a stretch to say the least.

Leonard, yes. He's awesome. Saying Leonard is as good as Parsons is a not a bad thing.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, though. I don't think Parsons is worth more than 10M. But he's definitely worth more than 6. I would say the 8-9M range is more realistic.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sometimes I wonder if people understand Restricted Free Agency has the word "Free Agency" in it. If Parsons become a RFA, other teams will still be able to bid on him. And what they bid on him is not going to be $36-40mil.

4. conquistador#11

batum money plus inflation of that batum contract. (using my maury app here)
    that comes out to....8,265,695.00 Euros + a year supplies of glenrice's hair products.

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

How much is Buffalo Jeans paying the man? Shoot, I would pay my own money to get all snugly with Ashly Sky. Nothing to do with this topic, just wanted to throw that in there. :grin:

6. JD88

JD88 Member

I just still dont understand why we cant accept the option, ask him what he wants, let lin and asik expire, sign a 3rd 'star', and just tell Parsons we will use his bird rights to sign him once we use up our free cap space.

How hard is to ask, 'hey, so do you want to be in Houston? Cause if so we'll let you be an UFA and as a thank you for allowing us to pay you **** for a 4th year, we'll give you 4/40 after we use our cap space.

We get, possibly an all star pg, harden, parsons, Jones, dwight.

All you have to do is ask him if he wants to be a rocket

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Well sorry, but Harden already is a Superstar.
    And at 24 years old being the second year of people looking to him - you think he should have the skills, and mindset of a solid veteran?

That is just ridiculous.

Yes his SITUATIONAL defense is bad.
    His on ball defense when his man is taking him 1on1 is actually pretty damn impressive.

This is akin to saying in his first year - Parsons won't amount to anything because he isn't good at shooting.

Not even three years later and look where we are with Parsons.

You see what I'm getting at?

8. xAliceInChains

It would be a crime against humanity to not give him his contract. We OWE him. The Rockets truly are in Chandler Parsons debt.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We owe him. Gtfo. What about Dragic? I felt a punch to my heart.

This overrated cat you wanna pay him 10 mill?

10. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Agree completely. Also it gives you another year you can use exceptions and still stay under the luxury tax. Save that extra year and push those implications further out.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This dude doesn't even know what he's talking about. He thinks the team would be better off going foward with Howard parsons and Courtney lee, over harden Howard and parsons. Hardens in the media alot right now and that's okay the media is taking his game and putting it under a microscope because he is a superstar on a very good team. As of right now no one knows how far he can take us because we haven't hit the playoffs yet.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

For the millionth time, Parsons never called Harden out. It was a completely misrepresented quote which the "journalist" made up.

13. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Parsons is going nowhere, but if we had a high caliber 3 and D guy -- a defensive stopper who can play either the 3 or the 2 (this would also make it easier to hide Harden defensively) -- that would be perfect for us.

14. Nook

Nook Member

We need a clutchfans myth thread.... The amount of BS and just garbage being passed around has to be an all time high.

15. MichaelG281713

A team will overpay Parsons. And, it won't be the Rockets.

It'd be great if we could keep him, but it seems unlikely knowing what we know.

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Umm....yeah? That seems to be the topic at hand which the article and people on here are discussing.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We pick up his option, and take the 9 million we save to add to his next contract.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not terribly concerned if Parsons is offended or not. But, if you prefer we can call Parsons the third star and worry instead how we're going to land that fourth star. Because this team with Parsons as the third star is still not running with contenders like Miami or OKC.

I believe what you're suggesting -- promising him a certain contract in 2015 before you make a decision on his option in 2014 -- would be cap circumvention and not allowed. And, it would be a risk to both Parsons (what if he agreed to $10m/year and then completely blew up in the intervening season and had much larger offers?) and the Rockets (what if they promised $10m/year and then Parsons blows out his knee and his contract is an albatross before he signs it?).

If you're suggesting something more general with Parsons being made to understand we would give him a fair offer in 2015 and the Rockets being made to understand he would consider signing a fair offer in 2015, they probably already have that. That's why I think exercising the option will work out just fine. But, I think we have to live with the risk that another team might be willing to overpay for him and leave us in a situation where we either let him walk after all or give him a heavy contract.

Yes, but paying people in the future for what they did for you in the past is a bad recipe for team-building in the NBA. With salary cap rules such as they are, paying him more or earlier has real consequences on what other talent we can have on the team, not just the amount of money that comes out of Les' bank account. If we sign him after a third star in 2015, it won't be so bad to overpay because our last big play would be done anyway. But, signing him early throws away a chance at an additional big-name player for nothing but a little goodwill.

19. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

The Lakers are in Kobe's debt, but that still doesn't justify his new contract extension given his current status.

I trust Morey will do the right thing here with Parsons. Whatever that is, I don't know. Both sides give good arguments here.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL most of the people here who are saying Parsons is just an average player blah blah blah don't really understand his value, or the way FA and RFA work. RFA doesn't just allow any team to match an offer, it also acts as a deterrent, because once a team makes an offer their capspace becomes used until that offer is matched or rejected by a player. As such teams won't even bother bidding on a RFA if they think the team would match, because while they have their 12M tied up to Parsons, another team could sign Wilson Chandler or whatever and they'd be left with capspace but no one spend it on. On the other hand, if someone is a FA teams can bid on the dude knowing that they are guaranteed to get their guy if they have the highest offer. So they can go "all in" on Parsons since they plan on getting him anyway.

Because of this the question really is do you want to keep Parsons at a reasonable price or do you want to let him walk away for capspace? Obviously, I think the way to go is sign him up in RFA. It's quite hard to find a guy like him who can score 15+ points at good percentage as a 3rd banana, if you look at teams with one-two punch like Miami, Boston and OKC, Parsons' 15 pts with high efficiency is on par with the 3rd banana guys like Bosh, Ray Allen and James Harden, and those guys were stars in their own right before becoming the 3rd option or became a star after he left his team.