1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats better : Xbox or a PLaystation 2?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc rock, May 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

When is Metal Gear 3 coming out? I love that thing!

2. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

I don't know the release date but we'll get more info on the game at E3 later this week!!! I can't wait to take a look at some of the screenshots that are coming..

I wonder if they'll mix in a litte online play into the game. Heres hoping they do!!!!!
    :cool:

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Listen closely to what SamFisher said... it is the only true comparison out there.

Most people who are supporting PS2, naturally, own a PS2. Likewise with the Xbox.

Its the people who own both who will tell you the true story, like myself, and just as SamFisher said... you got to go with Xbox.

When you play both systems, you will be blown away by what the Xbox has to offer. I've had the PS2 since it first came out, and loved every minute I played with it. Yea, you'd get the occasional "disc read error", and it did take awhile to load up, but you got used to those things, and enjoyed the games despite them.

Then, this past summer, I got an Xbox... I was blown away. First of all, the sucker is so powerful (comparable to most PC's), it loads up almost instantly (in comparison to the PS2), and its games run just as fast as well. Plus, you have a harddrive, which means no more pointless/expensive/SMALL memory cards to deal with. Finally, you have the Xbox LIVE component, which not only allows you to talk to friends online, but also allows you to download/upgrade new content on several games... in addition to the kickass online one-on-one play.

Also, since the Xbox is basically a PC with a certain operating system, this makes upgrades for the system that much easier. In the future, instead of buying a whole new console, they'll just let you upgrade the software... kinda like goin from Windows 95 to XP. Also, don't worry about the games. If you really desire GTA that much, than get a PS2 for that, and that game only.

Additionally, you'll enjoy the DVD aspect of the Xbox much better. Sure, you've got to spend $30 extra dollars, but with that you get a much better DVD interface, and a fully functional remote. While the PS2 DVD option is free, it always felt like a makeshift DVD player. Put it this way... I had my PS2 playing DVD's for free, and I still went out and shelled the $$ for the Xbox DVD kit... its that good, and it feels like a true DVD player.

Finally, I guarantee you... if you have the choice between getting a game for the PS2 or one for the Xbox, you'll choose Xbox faster than you can say halo.

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Nick put it well, I own both systems and I love my X Box way more than the PS2. Nobody's PS2 has died yet??Anything I put in now, it says disc read error!!:mad:

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Not to mention XBox's superior HDTV and DD 5.1 capabilities. If somehow Halo2 is high definition I will personally go kiss the feet of whoever owns Bungie.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

depends what kind of games you like.

for me, PS2 > GC > DC > Xbox.

If its a debate purely over the hardware, I would go with Xbox over the PS2.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

If you're talking only about hardware, like Crisco said, yeah go with XBOX.

Though I'm not sure about that 'won't have to upgrade the system' thing. I SERIOUSLY doubt that for the next round of consoles there won't be an XBOX 2.

Games wise, its highly debatable. The graphics are better, but the choices on XBOX are more limited. It just matters what's more important to you.

I have a GC, PS2 and a relatively new PC. So other than HALO 2 (Which won't be out until sometime in 2004), there isn't much about XBOX that I miss.

Either way though...WAIT TILL AFTER E3!!!!!

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Somebody hacked/stole/leaked the trailer for MGS 3 from Konami, so it was all over the internet by Friday, MGS 3:Snake eater, it looked pretty cool. Most videogame websties have it up by now or else you can find it on their message boards if you want to see it.

Oh, and in response to what somebody said up there, Rockstar has announced that they are going to come out with XBox and Gamecube versions of GTA 3 and GTA vice city in 2004 as soon as their deal wih Sony expires.

9. Stylez

Stylez Member

I own a Xbox while my brother has a PS2 so I've played games for both.
    1. Price is not an issue since they are both 200 bucks but there are rumors Xbox might drop their prices and no matter what Sony says, if the Xbox is 150 than the PS2 will be 150.

2. Its already been stated that the Xbox is more powerful and the graphics and loading times (lack there of) give that advantage to Xbox.

3. PS2 has a larger library obviously since they came out over a year before the Xbox. They fan base is larger so a lot of game publishers are quicker to amke a game for the PS2 b/c they can sell more but the number of Xbox games is continuing to grow a long w/ publisher support so the number of PS2 exclusives is starting to shrink. All the sports games come out for both systems so the distinguishing factor there leads to my next point.

4. If you have broadband Xbox Live destroys PS2's online gaming experience. The connections are quicker and sturdier so you can really enjoy playing someone a thousand mles away. If online gaming doesn't interest you just refer back to point 3 that all the sports games are virtually the same.

In conclusion, I'm partial personally to the Xbox put the PS2 is a fine system. If you want more games, go w/ the PS2 If youre looking for more of the intagibles, go w/ the Xbox.

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

thanks for all the help, but I have one last question. Which of the two is better for sports games ? Another question I had was about the DVD player, both of them have it, right?

thanks, again

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For sports games, it depends on what games you plan to get. Across the board, Xbox will have smoother graphics on all of them, along with most of the features.

For EA Sports games, Madden in particular, they have an exclusive agreement with PS2 for the online option. Xbox counters that with LIVE support for its own NFL Fever and Sega titles (2k3's), along with Roster updates available for High Heat baseball by 3DO.

Tiger Woods is great on both platforms, but you can play 4 players on Xbox (it has four controller ports), whereas you need the multitap to play 4 for PS2.

NBA Street vol. 2 (which just came out) is also good on both platforms, but once again you can easily play 4 players on Xbox, and the graphics are much better.

Overall, if I had both consoles, I'd get the sports games for Xbox over PS2.

As far as DVD playback is concerned, yes they both have them, but Xbox's interface is far and away better than that of PS2. It feels like you have a real DVD player, whereas a PS2 feels like a video game console that just happens to be able to play DVD's (with poor loading time, and non-user friendly menus).

12. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Link?

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I personally own an Xbox since Dec. 2001 and love every minute of it. I am moderate gamer (play probably at the most 15-20 hours a week at the most) and even got XBox Live, was even a beta Tester and had it since Sep 2002. It all depends on what games you want. PS2 is good for fighting, PS2 exclusives (GTA, Squaresoft games), and of course the number of overall games avaliable. XBox is great for online, games that come out all systems (sports games, Enter The Matrix, NBA Street Vol 2, etc...), and their own exclusives (Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Panzar Dragon Orta). Whats funny is that I got my XBox for XMas and even thought about getting a PS2 instead. I looked into it, and made a gamble with the thought XBox would be the next Dreamcast but happy with what I got. I love the Hard Drive, 4 controller ports, and the NIC card already included with the system.

As for the trailer for MGS 3, check this:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/401/401741p1.html

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Can't wait.

Just hope it doesnt have a hokey ending like MGS2

15. SamFisher

Since most sports games are multiplatform, I buy the xbox version because it looks better, loads quicker, and the internal hard drive (franchise mode on a PS2 game eats up a bunch of memory card space).

But if you really are in love with Mdden and want to play it online, then the PS2 is better.

16. montelwilliams

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I somehow doubt this because Sony was losing 10-20 bucks everytime the sold one. Even with better production now, I think they barely break even on the consoles themselves.

18. SamFisher

I'm just repeating what Shinji Mikami supposedly said in a radio interview. I think he claimed that it inflated their sales numbers and allowed them to charge higher royalty rates to developers, etc.

19. rocks4life

rocks4life Contributing Member

For everyone who owns a PS2 and have the disc read problem. Check to see if the game is a dvd type game or a regular game. Sometimes the console will not read dvd type games. I say this bc my ps2 had the same problem and contacted sony. They will show you a way to test your console. After the test, my ps2 still didn't work so I called them and they fixed my ps2 free of charge. I recommend that you contact them if you have the same problem.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

...and not that pansy ass, round, new designed deck either...The OLD deck in which you spent ten minutes trying to get a game to start!