1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Right Now..... who would you trade Steve for??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SmeggySmeg, May 6, 2003.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yeah sorry misread it, getting mixed up thought this was a thread about who we could for steve if we trade him

2. riggs

riggs Member

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE PLAYER IT IS THE COACH!!!!
    Do you honestly think that Phil Jackson could not find a way fro this team to work together and win a championship. A good coach would not take this ego centric ball hoggin crap .

3. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Now everybody is ignoring me! :( :)

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Be careful what you wish for.

5. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I edited it. :)

Anyways...don't trade Steve Francis.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Smeg,

I think keepjuaquin has officially hijacked your thread buddy. :)

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

seems like a worthy cause Codell ;)

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Jackson still has problems with Kobe jacking up ill advised shots frequently more than 30 times a game. Jackson wouldn't even want to try to work with the Rockets because they don't have the most dominant player in the league. Jackson has never been a guy to go into a growing team and develop players. He goes to teams with the best players and manages egos and role players.

9. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley or Vince Carter, Alvin Williams, and a 1st Round Draft Pick.

Steve Francis, Eddie Griffin, and Jaon Collier for Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, and Ron Mercer. ;)

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yeah, it's funny.

It seems that Kobe always wants to prove that he's "Jordan." And Phil always tries to reel him in; "Calm down Kobe..."

Secretly, I think that Phil knows that there are certain things that Kobe can't do well, that Jordan could do well. But Kobe is constantly trying to "force the issue."

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why Not?

The more I think about this the more it seems like a possible deal.

Indiana has had luck trading for young developing power forwards before.

Steve gives them a recognized star in the league with two all star games under his belt.

Eddie gives the Pacers another young power forward with potential that was considered by some to be the best talent in his draft.

If Eddie works out the Pacers end up with 2 superstars for the price of one. If not then the Pacers still have one superstar in Steve Francis.

Francis salery is probably in the range of what Jermain will be asking.

This whole trade makes since to me. Much more than the possibility of trading for Brand. Mobley probably does not carry enough value to get Brand and Steve probably makes to much money for Sterlings taste. Indiana on the other hand wants to win.

BTW, you will need to drop Jason Collier off of the list since he is a free agent.

Steve Francis and Eddie Griffin for Jermain O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley

I would do it in the blink of an eye.

12. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

LOL...oh yeah! There is no need to include Jason Collier or Ron Mercer. ;)

I like your trade better than mine.

Well lol......thanks for replying.

But I don't like my trade anymore......because I don't want Francis gone...

Jamaal Tinsley/Moochie Norris
    Cuttino Mobley/James Posey/Juaquin Hawkins
    Bostjan Nachbar/James Posey/Glen Rice
    Jermaine O'Neal/Maurice Taylor/Terence Morris
    Yao Ming/Kelvin Cato

Not a bad lineup to me..big man team...Rudy likes.

Steve Francis/Tim Hardaway?
    Reggie Miller/Fred Jones/Ron Mercer
    Ron Artest/Jonathan Bender (who is good)
    Eddie Griffin or Jonathan Bender or Adam Harrington (all have potential and are young/some guy...
    Brad Miller/Jeff Foster

Not bad either...a guard team isn't bad.

But I don't think this blockbuster trade will ever happen. Even though it makes sense.:D

Really.....the Rockets would be awesome. Cuttino Mobley and Bostjan Nachbar the shooters on the wings....who can also cut and slash. Jermaine O'Neal the post player. Yao Ming the high post player. Tinsley the initiator...who can also shoot and pass very well. Our bench...Posey would be our energy along with Cato and Rice from the bench. And Taylor would replace O'Neal....

BUT STOP DREAMING! :(

Francis is stuck with Houston.

#152 KeepJuaquin, May 11, 2003
    Last edited: May 11, 2003
  13. riggs

riggs Member

You might be right about Jackson going into established teams with dominant stars. I still remember that the lakers had not won a recent championship until he took the helm. Maybe we do have good players that more can be brought out of them to make them great.
    I still think the Rockets main problem is Rudy.....he can't pick talent , mold it together, motivate, dicipline and ultimately coach.

14. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

With all the talk about Yao Vs. Lebron, Why not steve for lebron.

Lets say Lebron doesn't want to play for Cleveland because Lucas is gone and wants a trade. How many other teams would honestly part with their superstars and go for LeBron. A lot of teams would be interested but how many teams would have the bait, and the balls to do it. The only teams with enough talent to bait seem to be in the playoffs and I really don't think anyone in the playoffs is going to say lets trade Kobe for LeBron.

IMO, only the Clippers have better bait than us.

I would be perfectly okay to pull the trigger on a steve for lebron trade. From what i've seen he can be a point forward.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

so you want to trade your All star starter for an unproven high school player?? You like being in the lottery?

16. Sane

Sane Member

I'd trade Steve for Lebron. Common, marketing machines like Lebron can't fail. He has Stern in his corner.

I doubt anyone could make a better offer.

17. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

For every KG there's 10 JaRon Rush's. Do you really want to chance giving up a proven, all star point guard that really has carried this team for a few years, for a very possible bust?! If we're going to trade SF then at least trade him for someone with a little credibility and/or proven talent.

18. MManal

MManal Member

crash,

As much as I like the idea of Francis moving to the 2 spot, I actually think that trade proposed of essentially Francis and Griffin for O'Neal and Tinsley makes some sense for both sides. I'd try to dump Moochie's contract on Indy and include a swap of Mo Taylor for Croshere as well, but the basic idea makes sense. The deal could be done despite Steve's BYC b/c Indiana could be under the cap this summer depending on how they manage their various contracts. However, I think a deal of that magnitude going down is slim to none. I would be very shocked if Steve Francis is not in a Rockets uni in November.

19. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

This is why it takes balls.

This is also why we took Yao Ming. Many assumed he was going to be a bust and named Jay Williams as the most ready player in the draft.

I remember once that the Lakers made a trade for a possible bust coming straight from HS for an Allstar center.

Stevie Franchise has done alot. But the one thing in his 4 years is getting us to the post season. If Lebron is half of what people think he's gunna be, we'll come out on top. He would bring size to the backcourt, add depth to the 2 and 3 positions, be a matchup problem for most opponents, install a team oriented game with his passing and put fans in the stands. He could possibly somewhat of a defender with just his sheer size.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

i'm not opposed to trading steve for lebron. however, it would leave us with a problem: who is going to be relied upon for scoring, outside of yao ming? i guess you could try cuttino at first, then if it doesn't work trade him...

hmm..

PG: good, veteran spot up shooter
    SG: cuttino
    SF/pointforward: lebron james
    PF: griff/motay
    C: yao ming

come to think of it...yea. i'd do it. i'd still prefer steve for vince, but i'd do this one also...