1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

I do wonder if the Raptors would accept a trade of Jeremy Lin, Donatas Motiejunas and one of New York's second round picks for Kyle Lowry and Chuck Hayes' contract.

Probably not.

2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

This is so true. LA makes the best trading partner for Lin and Ask but the jeopardy of them winning a chip before us is too great a risk to take. Would rather suffer another year if LOFs than help LA.

3. SHARKLIN-SOUP

SHARKLIN-SOUP Member

Sometimes there are so many rumors about trading Lin that I think sometimes the player would just wish he WAS traded! Its better than playing in so much uncertainty

4. jayland

jayland Member

Unfortunately no one is taking Lin. Not with his poisonous contract. No one is paying that much for a backup point guard.

You have to consider the list of starting point guards that is better than Lin:

Chris Paul
    Russell Westbrook
    Derek Rose
    Stephen Curry
    Tony Parker
    Rajon Rondo
    Kyrie Irving
    Deron Williams
    Damian Lillard
    John Wall
    Ty Lawson
    Mike Conley
    Goran Dragic
    Isaiah Thomas
    Jrue Holiday
    Ricky Rubio
    George Hill
    Jose Calderon
    Michael Carter Williams
    Jeff Teague
    Kyle Lowry
    Brandon Jennings
    Kemba Walker

That's pretty much all but a handful of teams.

5. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Are you serious....

6. jms99

jms99 Member

that is true. But it's also true that the Spurs team deserves some credit for where Parker is now.

7. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Jrue Holiday? Jose Calderon?? George Hill??? Brandon Jennings????? Oh yea and we have a big sample size on Michael Carter Williams.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That was never the question here or the argument. Your argument is that we don't develop PG's which is blatantly untrue. That they don't flourish is also untrue. They do develop and they have flourished. Now did they turn into all-stars or stars, well no, but few do. If your argument from the start was that Spurs did a great job developing Parker, then I would agree with you. However that was not the case.

Again, unless you were a Rockets fan and watched those guys play, please don't try to comment on them like you have a clue. If you don't understand, simply ask instead of assuming. I watched those guys play game in, game out. I saw them improve and flourish.

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

I don't suffer from LOFs. Those who "suffer" from LOFs are just weak in the mind.

;)

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LoF's are a cancer. Since they have invaded CF, quality posters post less and less. If we do trade Lin, getting rid of them would be the best part of the trade.

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Credibility crash. Made red those that are not obviously better than Lin...and for those not in red, some are very debatable for various reasons (blue).

#171 pwnyxpress, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Fair criticism, though he's clearly better than Jennings. I think a close look will also show he's better than Walker and Rubio, both of whom are bad and still living off their pre-draft hype. The once impressive Deron Williams is also a shell of his former self, and Lin may be better.

Not saying Lin is great, but he'd be just a slightly below average starter. He's not obviously exploitable except by the top PGs.

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

It only bothers you if you let them; it only gets worse if you respond to them. The more you complain about them and the more you have them on your mind. So don't. It's pretty simple.

1 person likes this.
  14. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I agree. I can ignore LOFs pretty easily because most of them are so ludicrous and at least don't pretend to be anything else. LOFHs are much worse because they keep pretending like they're absolutely correct all the time, but instead overreact to LOFs' rhetoric and go too far the other way.

It's like extremist Tea Party members who get in your face as a reaction to a group of hippies invading a region lol...

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I am just hoping that Clutch one day gets mad enough and puts them all down with the ban hammer. It is common knowledge that they bother him a lot.

16. jms99

jms99 Member

well, that was certainly part of the conversation. You said Parker was a diamond in the rough. i said that's true, but part of the reason he's good has to do also with Spurs Player Development. I don't see how you think that isn't a natural extension of the conversation.

I define a flourishing player as one who leads us to significant wins. One who develops at his position, and learns to make good decisions, one whose basketball iq increases by a substantial amount during his stay at houston. If the player is a point guard, I define flourshing as learning to become a better point guard, not necessarily scoring a lot, or making a lot of assists.

Harden may be one of the top scorers in the league for the next few years. But if he's in Houston, and doesn't get past the first round, I would not say he flourished while at Houston.

I think the point guards we've had performed well at times, and some may have flourished at certain moments. But overall, I think Houston player development and drafting are weak compared to most teams.

I've been watching Houston games since the Olajuwon era. I don't know why it would even matter though. You can find weaknesses by watching a single game. I think Lin and Harden are overrated. I don't hate them though, and I still believe they can be good players if we have the right people to teach them. But if we DON'T have the right people to teach them, all I'm saying is that we may be able to win by focusing on getting the right big players. We can win championships while not focusing on PG/SG defense problems if we have other strengths.

17. Grigori

Grigori Member

Well, some of them actually have some interesting opinions to share once you get past the blind hatred, but certainly not all. It just would be less trash to read if people could quit with the backseat moderating and just let the moderators do their jobs as they will. Man, now you have made me part of the problem. Shame on you!

;)

18. jms99

jms99 Member

Here's someone else's opinion. I'm not saying this is absolutely correct, just that it's not an unreasonable opinion to say that player development at Houston is not its strength. It's something that I talk to other fans about and many agree. There are certainly people that don't agree, but I don't think it's "blatantly untrue." More like a debatable issue.

http://82games.com/bestdraftingteams.htm

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The only thing I can say is your definition of "flourish" is very skewed IMO. As for whether or not it is important having watch said players, it absolutely is. If you haven't seen a player play, you literally have no right to comment on them. You have no knowledge, no insight, or anything at all to build an accurate opinion on. Basically if someone never saw previous PG's play as a Rocket, they have nothing but baseless opinions. If you did watch the Rockets like you claim, your assessment honestly raises my eyebrows.

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. Will we lose a precious few Lin fans that actually contribute anything of worth? Probably. However, IMO it is far better to lose the few that are decent if it means getting rid of the massive amount of garbage the other ones are.