1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Agreed. And this makes me believe that what Morey wants for Lin is even more outrageous than what we heard he wants for Asik.

Exactly.

2. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Yeah, sell him, I'll buy him for my sister's B'day

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

TBH, the market for Lin who is an average PG at best just isn't there.

He is not good enough to be starting for any of the Championship contenders and he is too expensive (and probably too old and a bit too productive) to be starting for a lottery team.

Lin should just embrace his role as a 6th man and main guy off the bench like he did last game and be his aggressive best any time he sees the floor irrespective of the minutes he plays. Role players will always have up and down minutes depending on how well they are doing in that particular game.

4. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

5. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

He has been a good, solid player on this team but nothing more. To say he is invaluable of irreplaceable is a bit overkill. But that being said, I would only trade Lin if it is an obvious win for the Rockets (despite loathing Lin fans on here, he contributes to the team). Plus if the ultimate goal is making a run at someone in the summer of 2015, Lin's contract coming off the books might be more valuable than anything they could trade for.

6. Neped

Neped Member

I agree I am anxious to see how good he really is. I think he would be better than John Wall. I just hope he goes to a team that lets him play the point guard. Can't WAIT!!!!

7. Neped

Neped Member

He's not in the right system as Dragic and Lowry. He can play the same level as both of them if he were in Toronto or Pheonix maybe better.

8. SirKen

SirKen Member

Oh come on!! That second article is dumb. Let me quote it here for you.

How does that even make sense?!

I don't agree with FTW Rockets FTW on Lin's potential but I agree that no team will touch his 15M contract even if they need his services. The only way I see it happening is if he was packaged with Asik to cover both balloon payments with his jersey/merchandising sales. That is highly unlikely at the moment when you have all these teams trying to tank for the draft. Not to mention, most GMs don't want to help out Morey. With patience, They can just acquire him from the Rockets next year when he is a UFA.

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

Well, the thing is, it is very unlikely that the Rockets will trade Lin, hence, he is probably stuck here for this year and next. When he does become a FA, though, teams are going to go after him hard.

10. yummyhawtsauce

With the numbers Dragic and Lowry putting up, I wouldn't go as far as Lin playing BETTER. Maybe similar, but I don't think better. I can see him averaging 16-18/8 with a decent FG around 45%+. He also needs lots of PNR with a big to run with.

11. zdrav

zdrav Member

It's the knee-jerk assumption about Asian players. It's the same in soccer. Many European fans think that Asian players are there primarily to sell shirts, even though Asian players are doing very well in the leagues that they're in (primarily, the Barclay's Premier League and the Bundesliga).

12. NotChandlerParsons

Lowry plays for Dwayne Casey. Until Rudy Gay was traded their entire offense was DeRozan/Gay isos. He plays with two bigs who can't shoot and a shooting guard who can't hit threes. If Lin was in the same "system" he would certainly not be averaging 18/8 or whatever Lowry is at post-Gay trade.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sell high, if possible.

I'm concerned about TO's, consistency, leadership and an overall stability that you usually see from the PG position that we don't really have.

Look into the trade market. Unless you're able to hit a homerun, look at what options are available that both provide an upgrade -AND- do not interfere with potential 2015 plans.

Lowry and Rondo are the logical targets. A longshot, perhaps, but this is the type of player that we need. A Jameer Nelson type could potentially be useful also (and cheaper).

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is no "Sell High" for Lin. We can only hope to get decent value back for him. This is why most Rockets fans don't want to trade him despite his fans. We don't expect to get any positive value back from trading him. He contributes more often than not. He is a good player to hang onto and help us win, provided he played properly.

15. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

If morey is making "outrageous" demand for lin, that means lin is more important to this Rocket's team than most of you think.

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

Agree. I don't think we are going to get equal value back in return. Unless the salary is an albatross - which I don't think it is.

The way the season has gone, it is nice to have some quality depth. Imagine Harden being hurt for a couple of games in the first round...

17. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lin has proven based on his play in multiple roles that he is as good as any young PG in the league. You could extrapolate Lin's numbers with or without Harden over 48 minutes and you'd have numbers that put him in the same range as Lillard, Lawson, Irving and others. I think Lin is built for a championship contender because he creates matchup disadvantages for 1s and 2s attempting to guard him and knows how to dictate tempo and get good shots for role players as well as star players. Unless Houston could get a Deron Williams or a healthy Rajon Rondo it would be a mistake to move him. You could look at what Dragic and Lowry (and what Lin himself did in NY) and get an idea of how he would perform in a similar role on a different team. Why move him? Why not find ways to use his skills more effectively?

18. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

I thought we dispelled this myth? Simple extrapolation doesn't cut it. Too many variables.

IMO if Jeremy keeps playing like he has as of late he'll be a key piece in our playoff run. Time will tell.

20. Clarinetmonster