1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com] Rockets have their own dynamic guard duo in Beverley and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SirKen, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I normally don't like blaming the system to excuse Lin's weaknesses. But I do agree that IF the "fit" theory is correct, then we don't need a "real starting PG." Some people cry that we don't have a starting PG yet use the "fit" thing to bash Lin fans. You can't have it both ways. Either admit that Lin is not used correctly alongside Harden or admit that we don't really need a so-called starting PG. We just need a shooter who can defend.

For the record, I am very skeptical about the fit theory and believe that Lin can thrive alongside Harden if he can play to his capacity AND they adjust the system to maximize the synergy of the backcourt.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I guarantee you are wrong.

3. Clarinetmonster

What happened to the whole theory about 'not enough shots to go around with the starters' - that was part of the rationale for bringing Lin off the bench and having Bev in there who takes less shots (and facilitates less). So if DWill was here there would suddenly be a lot more shots to go to the starting PG - who do they come from, Parsons? That's what the data seemed to show with Lin in is that Parsons attempts etc suffered. Anyways, it's probably a moot point as Lin and Bev are on an upward trajectory and DWill is not.

4. adobo

adobo Member

This thread is such a contrast to the Lin vs Bev discussions

5. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

I agree completely. Kyries showy but actually really struggles to take good shots/set up teammates and play defense, hence his weak fg% high TO's bad team record. Dwill is coming off the bench for Brooklyn and even in the eastern conference he looks like a fish out of water. So to say things would be the same with either of the them over Lin or Bev is ludicrous. I'd be happy if we won a game...

6. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Harden already a real starting PG in this team. This team need a defensive shooting guard next to Harden that can catch and shoot.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This isn't a case of "not enough shots to go around". This is a case of having another player who can create for himself and others consistently, and is a constant double team threat as well.

Saying that the Rockets record would not change at all if they had Irving or D-Will is just a plain ignorant statement.

Though that doesn't mean I want either players, I would prefer Kevin Love if this team was to ever acquire a 3rd star.

8. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Because in Clutchfans "true fans" this theory only applies if Jeremy Lin is involved. Any other PG will automatically somehow get more than 9 shots per game without sacrificing other players game because they are "elite".

9. Clarinetmonster

DWill is no longer elite.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Have Brooks start and BevLin come off bench, opponent 2nd units will get wrecked

11. Nook

Nook Member

Lin is a good

12. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't about "not enough shots", it is about having a PG that can hit 3's, limit turnovers, drive enough and defend. Beverley and Lin each do some of those things, but not enough. The Rockets don't need Chris Paul but they do need better than what they have gotten.

13. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

No such player is available. You pretty much described an all-star anyway.

14. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I like the idea of Bev and Lin. Bev compliments Lin as he compliments Harden.

Bev / Lin
    Harden / Lin
    Parsons / Casspi / Harden
    T Jones / D Mo / Parsons
    Dho / T Jones

Hm, outside of Lin, we definitely need a bench upgrade.

15. Neped

Neped Member

When they say Lin isn't good enough to be an elite point guard, they never give examples of who would be a good point guard. They are mostly trolling and trying to bait LOFs.

16. theangrycanary

Harden and Brooks don't have enough D to play together too long.

Lets just say theoretically though, Garcia and Asik come back healed.

Harden starts as PG with Garcia as SG. Garcia can play D and hit the three.

So that gives us our inside out game, with good D.

Bev, Lin, Asik, Casspi, n Dmo come off the bench and destroy the other teams bench on a nightly basis.

Just thinking out loud.

17. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

Lol I've kinda garnered that from from what I've read on these forums over the past year or two, lot of ignorance and I don't understand where it's coming from. I know over on the west coast we revere people of Asian heritage for their work ethic, I don't know if it's just these forums or if that's the norm in Houston (hope not) but I see a lot of people here and even the Houston announcers with subtley racist tendencies... For the record, I'm white 6'5 220 and played college bball and been a Houston fan since the budinger days lol #impartial

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

The only person holding back Lin from is Lin. He doesn't get pulled because he's taking too many shots, he gets pulled when he has one of his passive games where he just stands in the corner and contributes nothing. When Beverley goes 1 for 10, he still moves around, plays defense and rebounds.

19. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Therein lies the difference between you and I. Lin is not better suited as a 2, but rather as a traditional 1 in which the pg runs the offense. Look at every good game Lin has had and where Harden has been efficient. It's when they play their respective positions.

20. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

well said.