1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Some foundation player(s) by no mean are stars/superstars.

Last time I checked, there are a bunch of foundation pieces around the league. Bucks have Alphabet, Sixers with Michael Carter-Williams. Pelicans have Davis and Kings have Cousins. They are NOT superstars, and some are just budding stars....just like Harden was.

Yes, you are asinine to assume foundation players are stars/superstars.

Lastly, learn to read before you jump on my post. I said "superstar" not foundation player or star.

2. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I now feel like a moron for saying the Rockets should trade Lin as soon as possible.... As of a two weeks ago, I really believed his best games with this team were behind him.....

Now I don't know what to say. There appears to be a camaraderie with Pat Beverley that seems unbreakable. (Lin and Bevs are now my two favorite Rockets players.) Lin himself still has that look of uncertainty, but I don't know whether this is merely another episode of good games short lived or a breakthrough set of games.

I will say this, his threshold for giving up is somewhere in the ionosphere. He keeps his head while all of this fans break down. Me being one of them. Maybe the stretch of struggling play will ultimately make him a stronger player. Lin might not be close to the best player to set foot on an NBA floor, but he might have the will of a champion.

So should the Rockets trade Lin when his value is high? Just two weeks ago, my answer would have been a resounding YES.... But now, I don't know.

The one thing I will say about treating Lin.... Stop looking at him under a microscope.... For whether you like him or hate him, doing so will likely drive you insane.

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Doubt we can ever sell high on Lin... unless he started producing 20 pts 8 assists from here on out, but then again if he did that, Morey wont let him go anymore.. so a big No....

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lin can't hit a jumpsuit? I guess you would know, Chandler.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd like to see Lin perform like this against some better defensive combinations, the crippled Spurs, the Mavs and Cavs are awful defensively at the guard spots.

6. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

you were going to sell him the day you signed him to a 3 year deal...

one could say the Rox screwed Lin over 2 times already

but then one could argue there would be no Linsanity if you didnt waive him the first time around

and he wouldnt be due 15 million next year to stand at the 3 point line, working on being a SG for another team...

7. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

the funny thing is you guys dont think they have been trying to trade Lin for a long time now...

or think Lin dosent know it...

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is that Jeremy Lin isn't really worth much in a trade because no one really wants him at the price he commands.

We are stuck with him for better or worse. That or we take on an equally expensive contract.

9. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

but a lot of folks here keep complaining about cap space. You think anybody would take him for nothing with that sort of contract?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

You seriously believe that Morey would call Giannis or MCW "foundation players?" Well, let's just agree to disagree on that.

As for you talking about "superstars" and not "stars", how do you know your definition of a superstar matches what the poster you responded to believes to be the definition? There's no clear definition for the term anyway.

11. yummyhawtsauce

keep in mind, Lin is much better than many point guards in the league, however, those teams are keeping their point guard (and roster) intact because they are in perfect tanking position ;)

12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Beverly's stock is pretty high right now...he would get quite a haul.

13. yummyhawtsauce

I think Lin gives good production for his salary and role on the team? Who would you rather have? Jennings, felton, nelson, d williams, kendal marshall etc...

14. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

15. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lowry, Dragic and Lin have all proven based on each player's performance on other teams that the Rockets simply don't value the PG position as much as they do other positions. They don't want the PG to be one of the top 3 or 4 options on offense. They favor a Derek Fisher style model (or at best Rondo). In that case the Rockets should trade Lin in a package for a defensive forward who can guard SG/SFs and a veteran PG.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I want to keep Lin. Let the team keep building unity and gel. Stop the turnover. Put the Morey shuffle on pause. Lin is very young player. I think he is getting better and better. Linsanity was a flash of what is to come. It is all a head game with Lin. When his head is on straight he can ball with the best of them.

17. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

All of you clamoring for us to trade Lin or Beverley...it's just not going to happen. Who are we going to trade them to? For what assets?

First of all, the NBA is filled with talented PGs. Almost all teams have a good starting PG, and backup PGs are not hard to come by (just look at our own team's history with PGs over the last 4 years). You don't give up assets to get a backup PG.

Maybe you give up assets to get a starting PG if you need one, but there are only a handful a teams that don't already have a pretty good starting PG. Let's look at see if they are likely to trade us anything good for Lin/Bev:

Bucks - They're tanking, so they aren't going to throw away assets trading up at PG.

Magic - They're tanking, so they aren't going to throw away assets trading up at PG.

Lakers - They're tanking, so they aren't going to throw away assets trading up at PG.

Knicks - Only tradable assets are Hardaway Jr. and Shumpert, neither of which fill a need for us.

Pistons - Only tradable assets are Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond. Probably not realistic to think we can get either of those. No way you could do it without sending Asik, but Detroit doesn't need him, so you'd need to bring in a 3rd deal...virtually impossible.

Conclusion: Lin and Beverley are definitely here for the remainder of this season, and most likely will be here for all of next season as well.

18. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Trade him, get rondo

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes he can. Lin started the season the most consistent Rocket on the team. I was one of many who said Lin is playing to good not to start. Then he started stinking up the court, not always but enough to say his play was not consistent and then Bev went out and Lin didn't step up. It wasn't so much he played bad but he wasn't really helping us win.

Now Lin is back. The last three games are as solid and consistent as you could ask. He has a better all around game then he did during Linsanity.

McHale said the season is long and players have their ups and downs. I call it ebbs and flows but what I see as last year Lin is constantly improving. Lin is like a blue chip stock that has it's peaks and valleys but you can bet on it's productivity in the end.

I am all for selling any player high if you can get something better for him. But selling Lin now is not selling Lin high, it's selling him low.

McHale was complaining he wanted someone like Dunleavy, the team needed someone like Dunleavy, Garcia wasn't cutting it. Well he is found someone in Lin and Harden. That small ball lineup of Lin Harden and Beverly will throw fits for many teams. You can add Casspi in there to back up Parsons and even if Asik doesn't return we have a good 8 man rotation with Lin, Dmo and Casspi off the bench. If Asik does return even better.

We have a young nucleus that is hungry. Lin is part of that selling now would only disrupt the team. And there is that added factor no one is interested in buying because the cost of Lin next year is out of line. If Lin has a good playoff run someone might be willing to pay the price. Still doesn't mean I would do a deal but it's always nicer to a deal that benefits you as opposed to one that is just for cap purposes.

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

people, lin is untrade-able now. first year... maybe. now, no way.

which GM is going to go his owner and say "um... can we trade for starting pg at 8 mil/yr? yes? ok. oh yeah, and we'll have to pay him $15 instead of 8, even though he only counts 8 against the cap".

that's just insane. who in their right mind would do that huge of a favor for houston? so houston gets to pay him on the cheap for $5/yr and someone else is left with the check? seriously. and if another team really wants him, why not just wait until his contract is over and pay him? even if you overpay him at $10mil/yr, that's still a heck of a lot less than a $15mil/yr rental.

at the deadline next year.. maybe. because by then the other team will only need to pay $7mil and they might be able to get an extension out of him to offset some of the premium.