1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden asked McHale to let him guard Zach Randolph

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Should Harden get some minutes at the 4?

1. Yes but it depends on the opponent

41 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Absolutely not

148 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

All I know is Yao used to get fronted by guys a foot shorter and like a 100 pounds lighter. I think it's a horrible idea but cant deny I've seen it work before. Aint like ZBo's that much quicker than Yao

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Aint like Harden's that much quicker either.

3. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Harden may very well be stronger than Casspi, and perhaps longer than Parsons, who has a small wingspan for his height. Strength is one key to post defense (ala Chuck Hayes).

4. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Oh there's no question about it, Harden is definitely stronger than Casspi.

Everyone walked into that locker room looking beat down from all the physicality, they were getting bullied, bumped and pushed around. They needed an answer other than Dwight who they knew would get fouled out guarding Z-Bo, so Harden put his hand up and no one objected because they have seen Harden push around the bigs in practice.

Straight away Memphis go into Z-Bo and Harden bodies him up hard resulting in two consecutive stops, he even blocked Z-Bo on one shot. Zero points and one assist was all Z-Bo could do while Harden was on him. Of course, Harden wouldn't be able to do that all game long like he did with Ibaka who is far less physical, but based on what we have seen this conversation is valid.

5. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

What's really worrisome is the coach didn't make this adjustment. It was something Harden had to ask to do. Had this change occurred sooner than the 2nd game in the latter part of the 2nd half, one wonders if that would've been a factor in our win loss that night? It looked like it made a big difference having Harden guard Zbo over Parsons.

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

More often than not, the best player on your team will ask to guard the opponents best player, because when they turn it up on defense, it's very hard to get past them. Even a mediocre defender like harden. When your star player is fired up and pissed off and says "coach I got this," you just got to let him do it.

7. makio9

makio9 Member

I didn't mind the match up and it seemed to work with Zach not doing that much, but I'm baffled as to what the Rockets PF guarded?

8. makio9

makio9 Member

Even more baffling is why Clutch Fans use 1 Adsense block and 4 other CPM blocks. Moderators, if you're reading this, that's really baffling!

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Good theory but that isn't what actually happened is it?

It's not like Randolph is just going to turn and shoot it and Harden would be unable to defend. Randolph's jumper is a set shot that he shoots from right in front of his face. Harden's standing reach is 8' 7.5". Harden wouldn't even have to leave the floor to prevent that jumper. Like it was said earlier, if Harden could just stand there without leaving the floor and get Randolph to shoot his jumper then that's a win every time. He simply isn't a jump shooter.

Randolph did also attempt to take the ball inside but he was unable to score and even had his shot blocked by Harden.

I also see why you would think that Harden would foul out in 10 minutes, but what actually happened in the game? Harden guarded Randolph and had zero fouls.

Logically you don't expect it to work but in reality it did. Just as it worked when he guarded Ibaka in the playoffs and Ed Davis last game. He also did well against Lebron last season...at least as well as anyone does against LBJ.

Realistically, Harden is too important to our offense to ask him to guard bigs the entire game but in short spurts it has proven to be a viable option.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

They were playing small at that point with no true PF on the floor. Parson's was the PF and he was guarding the SF.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I like that harden wanted that challenge, but there's no way I would give it to him

12. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Our best lineup without Parsons? Not sure if serious.

13. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

guard your own man first