1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[from 2014]The return of Kyle Lowry?? Espn article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 45souf, Jan 28, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like Lowry and I like Lowry on this squad but I have a few concerns:

1.) I don't think Toronto will take an offer this low. I think it takes more, and I would be willing to give more like a 1st or Dmo, but Id try and squeeze PF depth out of it like Hayes to help solidify our two year window till the soft reset in 2015.

2.) Lowry vs. McHale - I really don't know what their issues were nor do I care, but I have to wonder if they can co-exist for a half season. I have been a firm McHale supporter but if he is the difference between Lowry staying or going in the offseason, I am keeping Lowry and looking at a George Karl as a replacement. Solid coach upgrade, solid PG upgrade.

3.) Lowry vs. 2015 cap space - If you nab Lowry, I hope you sign him long term. The problem is, you have set yourself up for 2015 and signing Lowry cuts your 18 million cap space down to 8 or 9 assuming any number of completely unpredictable variables (LOL). Does that leave you enough cap room for a Milsap in 2015? I would take a Lowry/Milsap combo in place for a shot at Love or LMA. What kind of deal is Lowry going to expect? Can we front load it to free up cap space? An alternative is you could trade Asik for a Thad Young and go from there.

Lowry / Beverley
    Harden / Garcia
    Parsons / Casspi
    Young / Jones
    Howard / Smith

Could do worse.

1 person likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Toronto's population is 12% Chinese, for starters.

Not to bring demographics into it, but Lin's Facebook page is in Chinese, I believe, so....

I think Morey could make this trade work, depending on what other suitors might offer.

It'd be ironic, in a way, if we surrendered a first rounder to get Lowry back.

Look at all this. Pure speculation. Makes sense, such a trade, but pure speculation.

Love the Chuck Wagon. Don't know what he still has because he doesn't get much of a shot at playing.

I know you're a McHale supporter and I've had to contend with you and jtr on this. Lowry's relationship with McHale is a significant question. Can they co-exist without Lowry winding up in a mugshot on (inter)national TV?:

The headline as it would appear in Brazil:

Jogador de basquete americano mata o técnico:
    “Ele mereceu, rapá! O cara era chato demais!”

I'm also dubious of the Kevin Love sweepstakes. Even if he said to Harden, "I want to play with you and Dwight", that's (probably) two years in the semi-wilderness of playoff flameouts before we'd get him.

#82 ROXTXIA, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Lowry is arguably playing as well as any guard not named Chris Paul and Curry so far. I just don't see them settling for Jeremy Lin and some mediocre second rounders.

Even if Lowry walks, they'd be left with max cap space. That's not so bad. So why not try to re-sign Lowry and see what happens.

I don't see much logic in this espn trade idea.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not sure why Toronto would do this deal, but hell yes. Not about to get my hopes up, though.

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Do u remember Lin is getging &15m next year?
    If u wound not take out Hayes, why would Torondo want Lin?

6. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

If Toronto is willing to do the deal I would take it and run.

7. duteman

duteman Member

MAKE IT HAPPEN. This will please the true rocket fan, LOH, and the Lin fans in one fell swoop.

We get a bonafid pg that has defense, offense, and ball control...a hands down starter.

Then the Lin fan in me gets to see Lin run the show in Toronto. Granted this is a one season fix since lowry could be gone next season, but us clutchfans are nearsighted anyways

8. P Bev Tha Goon

k lO n 2Pat

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Doubt Lowry still wants to play for McHale/Morey.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Lowry knows whats up.

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

as long as mchale is the coach, lowry will never be a rocket.

12. joeguo

joeguo Contributing Member

That's right. McHale will still play Beverly as a starter and Lowry comes off bench.

13. naesoon

naesoon Member

Lowry would not want to play for McHale again. Whatever issues the had will come up again.

14. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

For sure. I can definitely see Lowry getting benched for Dragic again.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Get er done murray

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Actually http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=249202

17. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I think the trade would be good for Lin, bad for Lowry. Lin would be the type of player who would likely stay in Toronto long term and be a building block for that franchise. He would grow there with all of the athletes they have and a very good GM. He'd probably make the all star team. Lowry's stats have fluctuated widely based on his usage rate and whether he is playing with ball dominant players. In that sense, Lin is steadier, more flexile and adaptable than is. Lowry. Lin has proven that he can make himself and his team productive playing alongside Harden. The coaching staff might not see it but the stats and win/loss record over a season and a half are there for all to see.

It isn't clear that Lowry would be able to do the same. Lowry's and Lin's games are comparable and I doubt Lowry fits any better beside Harden and the legion of 3s than does Lin. For the Rockets, Lowry would at least settle the PG debate for the remainder of the year and that might actually allow this team to take flight in what will be a tough remainder of the schedule. Lowry would not likely stay with Houston unless bags of money were thrown at him.

18. RRockets

RRockets Member

In the article it says since Rudy Gay left Toronto Lowry has been playing really well. From Lowry's point of view, isn't Harden like the new Rudy Gay to Lowry if he comes to Houston and needs to pass the ball to Harden all the time in order to make Harden look like an all star to justify Morey's acquisition of Harden?

1 person likes this.
  19. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

I like Lowry a lot but the problem with our PG position is not that the guards aren't any good, its that when you have a ball dominant wing player like Harden he negates the PG all together. Lin is being asked to play a role that is unnatural to him b/c of Harden. Beverly is ideal b/c he's not a traditional PG that needs the ball, his ball handling is terrible so him playing next to Harden works. Look what Lowry was doing with Rudy Gay and Derozan in the lineup with him and thats what it will be with Parsons and Harden with him. We'd be giving up a rotational player for a guy who could leave us in the dust if he so chooses. With this coach and his lack of coaching and game planning is our biggest problems. Adelman won 40 + games each year with Chuck Hayes as his Center, poppovich gets the most out of his players even when his starters don't play b/c he coaches. Tom Thibideaux has very little to work with but his guys give him the most and they have an identity and know what to do. Our coach has no system, no game plans and no plays, name a successful team in any sport that wins like that?

20. Nook

Nook Member

Huh?

Lin a "building block"? He has done nothing to show he merits being viewed as a building block. There is no reason to believe Lin would make the all star team.... although I hope the Raptors follow your line of thinking.

Lowry and Lin's games are not really comparable. Lowry can play on and off the ball and he hits 3's at a very high rate, all are needs for the Rockets. Not to mention that he defends and can rebound.

The issue that Lowry had with McHale had to do with Dragic getting minutes. There are no concerns about whether Lowry would start and get over 30 minutes a game.

I will take my chances with:

C - Howard
    PF - Jones
    SF - Parsons
    SG - Harden
    PG - Lowry