1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

McDonald's drive-thru is kicking your as this morning?

2. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Good to see that we have a centralized LOF vs LOH forum. I've noticed other thread has been much better recently.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What does ticket discount have to do with this article? Clutch offers discounts for the benefit of the CF community.

Another conspiracy theory from a certain player only fan.

4. King1

I've said it many times, we have 3 backup PGs.

5. davek

davek Member

Yes I am a JLin fan and the numbers are not clear at all! This does not acct the opponents they were playing. If I recall when JLin was out with injury the team they were playing mediocre teams. Then PB got injured when the teams were getting a lot tougher. Therefore a lot of the stats were padded unintentionally. This is going with what I remember....I'm not a stats person...if you are...please use stats base on opponent standing or whatever...I would like to see the results. =)

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

are you saying Lin was the official starter before Clutch's article? talk about delusional...

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Here are the teams we played with Lin as the starter.

- Dallas
    - Utah
    - Clips
    - Portland
    - San Antonio
    - Memphis

- New Orleans
    - OKC
    - Sac
    - NY
    - Lakers

- ATL
    - Washington
    - Boston
    - Milwaukee

If a team is bolded, we've played them with Bev starting as well. So that leaves you w/ the Pelicans, Thunder, Wizards and the Bucks as the only teams we've played with Lin as the starter but not with Bev. Other than OKC, I'm not certain you could characterize them as "a lot tougher."

8. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I think we have 3 backup PGs for a contending team. Lin is more than enough to be a starter for mediocre team.

He did pretty well last year

9. Clarinetmonster

I can get (via #'s) why many have come to the conclusion that Bev should start - what I don't understand is the notion that Lin is better off the bench than he is as a starter.
    Starter Stats
    22 games
    W -L 15-7
    Win % .682
    3FG % 35.1
    +/- +2.8

Bench Stats
    14games
    W -L 8-6
    Win % .571
    3FG % 29.3
    +/- -1.7

Please tell me how he's better coming off the bench? or more valuable to the team? Not saying he should definitely start, but why do we keep saying he plays better off the bench? Not supported

10. Clarinetmonster

And for those who love net rtg:
    Starter 5.8
    Bench -0.1

11. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Thanks for the stats. There are at least 2 fewer losses when you account for games where Lin played along side Harden as a starter. At least 2 of those games (Dallas/Philly) Harden did not play and the team lost. If the 2 losses against Memphis represent a trend where they play around .500 ball to the all-star break, then it will put some pressure on either management to make a trade or on the coaching staff to reassess what they're doing at the PG position and the overall rotation.

12. RRockets

RRockets Member

Yes, the numbers are clear!

13. King1

That's true but the Rockets were supposed to be a second round team this year.

I don't mind Lin as the 6th man for the next two years. I don't mind Brooks or Bev coming off the bench either. We need a starter though and we don't have it. It also hurts that our bench is beyond pathetic and the depth we have is at PG. If Asik wasn't such a puss that would be a huge swing but I've given up hope there

14. Clarinetmonster

I agree - They may or may not want to continue this experiment. I think if they've definitely settled on Bev they may really want to trade Lin as he SEEMS to thrive more as a starter as per the #'s - I'm not talking lineups here keep in mind. I think getting a stronger starting point than Bev though would be warranted.

15. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Yea, but which legit PGs are available right now for the trades to work?

Having PBev in the starting lineup is just a bandage on the PG situation, Harden MUST commit to playing defense, PBev needs to have a least some what of a legitimate offensive threat. It will make Harden's job A LOT easier.

If PBev could be consistently better offensively, he should start. If Lin could be consistently better defensively, he should start.

Bench just needs Asik.

16. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Rando.

17. SunsRocketsfan

another thing that is clear is if bev has another one of these horrible 2-10 shooting nights we are going to struggle no matter how much defense and energy he brings. Defenders can play off of him and just pack the paint. This may be a reason why Howard is struggling too. But it's a small sample size so lets see how it plays out.

Regardless on who starts I still believe Lin > Bev and the MATH IS CLEAR

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Beverly is fine, he just needs to stop playing like he's a shooter. He's not. unless beverly has a wide open point blank shot, i don't think he should be shooting at all. In our starting 5 we have 4/5 people that can shoot the ball from their prospective areas. They should be taking the shots. not beverly. He does everything else well, just don't shoot.

same thing with lin and 3's. either step inside the ring, or drive to the paint. i clintch when i watch lin shoot 3s. just like i clintch when i see BEV shoot at all lol

19. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Not only this, but I think Lin is better when he actually plays PG instead of any other position. Most of the time, I can't tell if he is playing SG or SF, but it's definitely not PG.

The TEAM is more successful when Lin plays PG and Harden plays SG. Harden is the best SG in the league, but when the coach makes you play PG, he loses his edge at being the best SG in the league.

Bev is great for energy and hustle, which has always been best when utilized off the bench. I think McHale is hurting Bev by starting him and playing him too many minutes. Bev would probably get more steals, more points, have a better FG % and contribute more to wins if he played 15 to 20 minutes off the bench.

20. SunsRocketsfan

Agreed, he needs to stop looking for his shot and just let the shots come to him. That's how he was so effective his first game back.

Well both our PG's are struggling right now but hopefully it was just a bad match up with Memphis.