1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 1/25/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2014.

1. DreamEarlNolan

For the Rockets to be a championship contender they need either Howard or Harden to become a true team leader and they need them to be more consistent. If you look at the teams who have won championships in recent years they all had a great player that they can rely on when things get tough. Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, Wade, Nowitzki, and even going back to Jordan and Olajuwan. Harden and Howard aren't at the level at this point. Harden is still young and I hope that in time he will become that player for the Rockets.

2. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I wonder, too.

But really, it's basically the same problem the Rockets had last year. Dwight on the bench, difficulty rebounding. Hopefully Asik helps that. But even greater still, the Rockets don't have a wing that can lock down on D. James Johnson getting double figures back to back nights is unacceptable.

3. Clarinetmonster

I get that same sinking feeling :( I just hope that it's not too drawn out and that some kind of good change comes from what's learned in the losing.

4. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Excellent post.

He didn't.

Please stop with your facts. We're using the close-one-eye test here :eek:

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have no identity - Memphis does - the Rockets don't have anything to rely on when plan A doesn't work.

DD

6. Clarinetmonster

Not only that, but most of those guys you mentioned were/are vocal leaders out on the court and definitely called teammates out if they we're skating/sucking. We need that desperately (I think).

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

first of all, what is plan A

8. Dementium

Dementium Member

Lol. Don't you know? Pass it to Harden and pray.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree, and the blame for that is on the coaching staff.
    Ultimately, it does come down to the players to execute the plan.

10. infinite-loop

infinite-loop Member

Shhhh... it's a secret (even the players don't know).

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Bingo! I think that we have a Kubiak problem with McHale. Both really, really nice and decent human beings, but not so good as head coaches.
    Needs:
    New coach
    real point guard
    Real Power Fwd
    Back up 5
    New bench

Disgraceful last 2 games. What we have is a soft pathetic team.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Plan A is to push the ball - and try to get early offense, but when a team plays good tight defense and can matchup with Dwight on the block one on one, we are toast.

DD

13. Clarinetmonster

Ever notice that ultimately, the role players mirror the stars unless they are a natural leader vocally and otherwise. Harden and Howard, great as they are, are not grind it out, gut it out, leave it all on the floor type personalities and are also not vocal leaders. It's really hard for a role player to feel qualified to assume that um...role, unless they are an experienced veteran.

14. baki

baki Member

LOL, rockets lost because:

- Randolph+Gasol >>> Howard+nobody, we don't have a 4th guy inside banger yet and Howard will never be a Shaq O'Neal
    - Harden is ineffective against good defense as usual, did anyone see him put up a missed shot and just stood there while the Grizzles ran the floor the other way for the easy bucket?
    - Parsons' 10 3 pointer game was basically a fluke
    - Grizzles' coach >>>>>>>>>> Rockets' coach, I really want to see what the Hell McHale writes on that board and how he communicates strategies to the team because something is not right there

And lastly, Howard and Harden should not play in the ASG, they don't deserve to. They are terrible when it comes down to when it really matters and have learnt nothing from the last game which was only a day ago.

15. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

The whole team is underperforming and while I still think that it's fair to give the team time to gel, I think that the coaching system is slowing down that process and Lin being used as a SG is a big part of what's wrong.

If the Texans decided to start using Andre Johnson at RB for 75% of the game, how well do you think we would fair? It would be ridiculous.

Every once in a while we have a guy who can come along and play multiple positions well (i.e. Magic Johnson or KG) but let's not fool ourselves... Lin isn't that guy. What he is however is the best guy on our team to get the ball movement going and the best guy at driving to the hole and dishing it out to the open man. The LOH's can disagree all you want but Bev doesn't do that, Brooks doesn't do it and Harden doesn't do it. So you take the best attribute of a player and nullify it by putting him in as SG? Ridiculous. Let's let Dwight post up at the top of the 3 point line and shoot 3's all day while we're at it (which he actually does want to start doing once a game).

I'm not making an excuse for Lin. I'm explaining why our offense looks like crap when we have Bev or Harden playing point while Lin sits around the outside corner and waits for a pass.

16. RRockets

RRockets Member

You nailed it, man!

17. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

18. Clarinetmonster

Please elaborate. You teased us with your keen and original insight and now you leave us wanting to hear more.:grin:

19. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

iso and iso, the sort of assists that harden or lin or parsons got is literally all from iso...not from a system...they all play hard, but lack of efficiency...
    closely watching CP3's game, you'll find that his distributing is kinda like pitching, always with strategies, to force the opponent's defense to change or to create mismatches...

if Harden wants to be that man like CP3, just be it, and sticks to it, but not quits on it whenever he is gassed...and what he should improve in his game is his cardio and stamina...and casspi should start as a SG...definitely not PB or LIN

If Rockets want to stick to the small ball, and Parsons need to cut down on handling, but running like a spear to attack in transitions and utilize his height to shoot or create only in half-court offense and Lin should start over PB to push the speed cause Parsons and LIn got the widest running coverage

If lin wants to survive in the system, he should just confront the coaching staff, telling them that he is misused cause, as a PG, he got sizes and court visions and cardio; however, as a SG he is seriously undersized, and his existence on the court will be nothing but a mismatch! and he should be traded for a better SG

our coaching staff should utilize the talents we got

There is already no playbook in Rockets' system...if they still cant use the talents right, i dont think this team is going anywhere further than the first round~

20. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Plan A: Play hard.

Plan B: Play harder.

If all fails: Play harder! Play harder!