1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 1/24/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Clarinetmonster

Very true - those that want to single out the PG position have some serious rest of the team blinders on.

2. Razsan

Razsan Member

What we need is an effective offense that doesn't rely on how hot our shooters are from the outside. Who's the PG for the Heat? They seem to manage with guys that aren't starting caliber PG's. Lin is a more than capable PG. Our offense is the equivalent of a street ball matchup..we have 2 players that "clear the court" when given the ball. That's not a recipe for a championship.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Heat lost to a lot of scrub teams as well, therefore by your theory they are not Chsmpionship caliber this season either. Correct

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Early on Parson was inconsistent as well.

5. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Overall, I thought we played good defense. Just gave up too many offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points in the last 5 minutes.

M. Gasol + Zach Randolph > Dwight + Jones + D-Mo

6. Houston79Astro

You can not...

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

This is pure conjecture. Parsons was horribly inconsistent to start the year, while Pat and Lin were killing it. And we lose to scrubs "all the time?". Yes, we've lost to teams we should have easily beaten. But not all the time. And isn't Memphis something like 5-1 since they've been healthy w/Lee? Hardly what I'd call a scrub record.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm sure it's already been discussed to death, but I'm still really baffled (and troubled, frankly) by McHale admitting he didn't anticipate a double-team on Parsons on that last play. I just don't understand.

9. TheJet

TheJet Member

Bad coaching. On the previous two or three possessions they were already starting to shade to Chandler and had him pushed out way past the three point line even before he had the ball. I was all for getting him an open look, but asking him to create off the dribble vs. doubles and keyed defense (even with a pick) is not something he's done well. That ball needed to start with Harden, Lin or even Brooks in hopes of breaking down a defender. Just my two cents.

10. Andrew Wiggins

First of all, what does harden have to do with this? Second, you fail to mention Harden's 13 assists, 1 turnover, or that he was playing well on defense. He was playing against the best half court defense in a half court game and still managed to get 10 points on 11 shots. You know you would be happy if Lin had the same performance with 13 assists even if he played poor defense and bricked every shot. But because it is Harden you attack him instead of defend. I admit he didn't get it going offensively and that's on him. He found another way to get points on the board with his assists. I just wish Lin could draw half as much attention on defense as Harden.

I doubt you read all of it because I attacked the coach, GM, Harden and even praised Lin for his ability to finish, handle the ball, and attack with speed and quickness. You are just a LOF and see what you want. AND YES the PG is supposed to attack the rim. By very definition an NBA PG should have the best attributes to attack the rim. No other player should have the combination of ball handling, passing, speed, quickness, and court vision like the PG. A PG's job is to get assists. They do that by attacking the rim because they are the fastest player out there, beating their man, and finding the open man (usually a cutter). This is unless you have a LeBron , Durant, Kobe, or McGrady on your team who do/did a better job at beating his man and finding the open player when the defense collapses than most NBA PGs. Durant just scores even on the double. He doesn't need to find the open man.

So yeah, think before you start calling someone a hater.

11. Andrew Wiggins

As for Beverley, it's what? His second game back with tape on his hand? If he is getting minutes over Lin then it's clear the coach prefers his defense over Lin's shooting ability. Harden is the designated driver on this team because of the reasons mentioned in my post on page 78. Conley is a tough point and having better defense on him vs. having Lin's offense on the floor makes sense. Stopping Conley stops 95% of the Grizzlies playbook.

And I agree, most Rockets fans want to see Lin as the starter because it means he's figured it out.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Who singled out the point guard position? I listed a number of problems the Rockets have. Having said that, starting point guard is a real weakness on this team.

13. firepit

firepit Member

what did you just said a point guard supposed to do for the team?

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

Players can't just go freelancing within a system. That's what gets them benched or in the doghouse.

Lin was able to succeed on the Knicks under D'Antoni because D'Antoni gave him the keys to the engine to do whatever he wanted.

Clearly, in Houston, he's sometimes even Beverley when it comes to being assigned playmaking duties. This is just mind-boggling.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am sure Lin would have free reign if Harden went down and his job became to step up and become the primary ball handler.

Unfortunately for Lin, when there are better players available, just like in New York with Dantoni, he has a limited role.

There is no grand injustice here.

16. instantno0o0dle

This is true. I never even thought of that. How can you not have a backup plan if your initial plan fails and how could you not anticipate a double team from one of the better defensive teams in the league

17. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

Also, you have to keep in mind that throughout this career Lin has improved his game. Lin played great defense on Tony Parker in both match ups versus the Spurs. We have only seen a small sample size of PBev's career since he was overseas.

18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That's a play only a genius like McHale could come up with.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Can we say Harden is exposed now?

20. RRockets

RRockets Member

What? an opposing player has hitting 10 3pointers already and as a Rockets coach you thought your counterpart has not noticed this and has no plan?