1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

your brain cannot process logic, I understand...

2. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Beverly is the better starter. He derseves it. Plays hard, aggressive and DEFENDS. Probably the most consistent defender on the Rockets.

3. benvolio

benvolio Member

Nice read....so good to have a numbers based view.

Also, I don't believe that just because Lin is not the starter, he needs to be moved. The team will need Jeremy playing well to do any damage in the Playoffs. He is one of our top eight guys, so the team needs his bench energy and production. He has the potential to be a poor man's Manu or Vinnie (Microwave) Johnson for us.

1 person likes this.
  4. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

I thought Lin was amazing at the beginning of the season but the guy has regressed so much. Bev seems to work better with the starters so we should keep him there and see if Lin can turn it around with the bench like he was at the start of the season. I hope he can turn it around but I've been really disappointed with his play for the last few weeks. He has been playing scrubish.

5. AVoiceInACrowd

I've always said that numbers don't lie. It's the interpretation of the numbers that can mislead people. Netrtg is affected by the 10 people who are on the court. That's a lot of variables that doesn't even include home court and days of rest and other factors.

Using Netrtg as definitive proof is misleading to say the least. If that were true then our 6th (55 mins) most used line-up: Harden, Howard, Jones, Lin and Brewer should be the starters since their Netrtg is 17.7. That's 13.7 higher than when Parsons is starting the game. Going by this argument "These results so far show" that Brewer should be starting instead of Parsons.

Here's another example:

Durant, Perkins, Sefolosha, Ibaka, Westbrook: 280 mins, -5.7 Netrtg.

Durant, Perkins, Sefolosha, Ibaka, Jackson: 302 mins, 11.1 Netrtg.

http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.ht...erPage=25&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals

Here is another example. LeBron James is #9 in Netrtg. That's not #9 in the nba. That's #9 on HIS TEAM.

I liked that Clutch used stats to help reinforce his arguments. I wish more people would. But, what I can't stand is when he makes it seem that these stats are indisputable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

I agree.

I like the dynamic of starting Beverly and bringing JL off the bench. I like having them both as Rockets. I like when they are on the floor together.

I understand people have favorite players and strong opinions on who is better or who should start. I don't understand the near civil war extreme comments about it I read at times. I would rather see my favorite player have a bad game and the Rockets win then vice versa. (Ideally I'd want both.) I wonder how many in this whole JL debate feel the same way.

7. Dementium

Dementium Member

I can't speak for others but well at the beginning I had no issues with Lin sucking and Rockets winning. As a matter of fact, if we won who cares?

Nowadays though, we win and Lin sucks and you get all sorts of annoying comments from posters who disingenuously claim they just care about the team when it seems they just created the account to **** on one player.

If Lin had Bev's statline today, you can bet that people would still have called Lin a scrub.

People don't become the fans of a team overnight. If you don't stay in Houston, you don't automatically swear allegiance to the team. It takes time. It takes invested emotions. But it needs to start somewhere. I started as a Jeremy Lin fan. I could have become a Rockets fan. But its been somewhat derailed by all the hate. I imagine I am not the only one.

Frankly it turns me off somewhat that the fanbase can be so vicious and petty about players on their team sometimes. The negativity abounds.

Garcia playing badly? He sucks and should be traded. Guy did okay for us last year and has been an important veteran presence in the team yet people **** all over him.

PPat traded? Must be a scrub. He literally helped us secure key wins last year and was invaluable from mid range. Again, people here **** all over him. Just check out Carl's thread on him and you will know.

2 people like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's another example - some clown who thinks that a Jeremy Lin, Russell Westbrook, and Lebron James comparison is remotely valid for any reason whatsoever.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The league is very much a "What have you done for me lately" business where you are discarded like yesterday's trash if you stop performing. The quicker one realizes this, the better. Players come and go all the time and when they stop performing, hopefully they go even faster. I don't care at all what Garcia did last season. I only care what he does THIS season. Same with any of the players we have on the team. The entire point is to win and if you can't contribute towards that, you need to leave. It is that plain and simple.

10. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

While I agree his point was stupid, he was at least comparing the same position. I am sure when others and I were arguing Lin was better off the bench you were shouting "Why not Harden or Howard off the bench!" The comparison isn't equal.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I answered this when someone mentioned earlier. It's a stupid comparison if you actually understand what Perksins is to OKC. If you put this on the Thunder board they'd think you're r****ded because all of them hate Perkins with a passion.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8629874&postcount=528

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Also there's the small matter of Durant playing the best basketball of his entire career for the last month, as well as anyone has ever played, up in peak LeBron/Jordan territory which is probably about 200 or more of those 300 minutes with that lineup.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tonight shows one more reason to start Beverley: it's a lot easier to win a game after Pat takes out the opposing team's best player.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

My favorite guard on the team...love the tenacity he brings.

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

Hmm, I hope we are also playing the Clippers with CP3 and Thunder with Durant:)

16. mikster

mikster Rookie

PB had a decent game...if it wasn't for the good assist numbers tonight I woulda say he had a bad game. Thomas torched him in the first period with 3 of 5 (8 points) i think...He's out there for his legendary defence I expect him to shut his opp down to at least half their average. Thomas finish with 20points right at his average and shooting 5% below his average. Pat should take lesser drives to the rim and save it for 3point shots or defence. 2-9 shooting tonight isn't too impressive.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

talk about delusional

18. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Agreed.

19. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I agree, but I just want to point out that the analysis and conclusion was wrong... thats all... I like Bev starting...

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

****ing lol, u always make me day CH