1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Clutch stated his opinion and backed it up with solid numbers as facts.

LOF's claim to "disagree" with Clutch but yet don't have any factual backing. Show me the numbers instead of throwing empty statements around.

2. jms99

jms99 Member

can't stand Lin, Yao, Love, Dirk, or even Dragic and Nash.

All of these fools have fans that are just stupid.

3. jms99

jms99 Member

and can't forget Kirilenko. His fans are obnoxious.

4. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Let's give it a season and see how sucessfully the current lineups work, especially during playoffs. For the sake of our success, we need everybody play well, including Lin. Let's hope he can regain his confidence and be assertive off bench. Hopefully the coaching staff can be more patient with him. He is a good kid with many potentials and skills that can help Rockets.

5. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Repped. I am so tired of all the LOF/LOH labeling and the judgments based on join date.

1 person likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Welcome to the rep club. We need a few more calm voices around here.

I do think Beverley can sustain this, but I'm not sure he can in 30+ minutes. I'd like to see Lin get a decent share of minutes. I don't think he is being used in a true 6th man role, nor do I think he has found his role at all on the team.

7. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

40 games into the season, with Bev out due to injuries twice, all of the sudden, we are talking about stats and deserving now.

In the beginning of the season, after Lin started 82 games of last year, while Bev started ZERO. Nobody wanted to mention starting stats and deserving, coz numbers don't lie, if it doesn't suit you, just ignore them.

What was the talk then? Fit. Right, fit. Fitting the starters. Let's cut the ambiguity. It's just about fitting Harden. Call me whatever you want to, but I actually bought that argument from the very beginning. Harden is our No. 1 guy, we need to make him happy and productive. If Bev fits him well, start Bev. As simple as that. If Harden needs a dancer on his side to be productive and if that can get us wins, start that dancer.

Cut that Bev outplayed Lin in 2 of 4 pre-season games crap. No need to mention stats or deserving, coz at that time Bev started ZERO regular season game last year.

The whole exciting article by Clutch was titled with "...stats... deserves...". But reading through it, it was still about "fitting". Not other starters, but James Harden. Dream praised the DH and JL combo, Lin played connected well with Parsons and Jones (with limited opportunities). Actually, when Asik and Greg were playing, Lin were able to find them as well. What kind of better fit are we talking about? Really no need to hijack the whole team to make it sound better, it's about fitting Harden.

Lin has played very inconsistently this season - really well in the beginning whether he started or came off the bench, then certainly below average to downright sucked in the past few games, starting or backing up.

Who do I blame? I blame quite some people. First of all, I blame Lin, for not playing aggressively. He's got the contract, the money, and fans. But he worries even more - missing shots or getting yanked by coach. The more he worries, the worse he plays.

I also blame some of his extreme fans. They were out there to annoy everyone around Lin, his coach, his teammates, and other Rockets fans. Players are humans first. It's just like a soap opera, if main characters only got asked about a supporting character all the time, and even harassed how they should have given that supporting role more help etc, they will get annoyed. I weren't be that happy playing with him either. Sometimes, I just felt Lin is not part of the team on the court. How could the team function in that way?

When was the last time you saw Parsons looking for Lin twice in a game? They connected very well last season. Last night, 2 minutes left in garbage time. Yes, even in garbage time. Harden dribbled at the top of the key, ignored Lin on the side, shot a contested three and missed badly. A few possessions earlier, when Bev had the ball, passed to the left corner, the ball got swung out, and Harden was one of the stops, but he wasn't the finisher. The ball connected 4 players, and we sank a three on the end. It was beautiful. That's the way it supposed to be.

It was very clear that Bev fits the starting lineup more right now. Players, led by Harden, are willing to share with him more.

I am going to blame McHale as well. Last season, Harden and Lin played well together for quite some games. After one of those games, Harden said "Me and Jeremy are both learning to play off the ball." That was so spot on, because that was when they were really effective, and they even set screens for each other. What happened to that? I don't think McHale cared about developing right habits for players. He certainly didn't follow through on that; otherwise, we wouldn't have this "fitting" topic. Meanwhile, Harden found the easy way out as well - having the ball in hands all the time.

Don't Morey read GARM? I think some of the players do too. It's been a distraction. McHale should just make it clear - I make the call, Bev is my starting PG all along. So we can just close this topic and play better games.

Lin coming off the bench, could be effective. But this is a team game. Lin going 1 on 5 is really ugly, for he doesn't have Harden's skills. Him attacking, is not him playing alone, but also other players moving without ball.

I said quite some time ago, that it looks like Lin and Rockets are parting their ways, and I hope it's not going to be ugly. I guess the only problem is, the genius poison pill created by Morey was too deadly. Asik's situation is getting really ugly already after the expiration of our self-imposed deadline. It's hurting the team.

I saw that Rondo/Bass for Asik and Lin thread. I am all for it, just if I were Boston I would not do it, when both Asik and Lin are at their lows. The board will certainly be more bearable, although game thread is still going to be bipolar and ugly minute by minute. When we ship out Lin, we can discuss games, coaches, players, more reasonably. We can argue that Harden should play more off the ball, as a shooting guard. We can argue that Beverly will be great spark off the bench. We can criticize that our "play harder" coach should enforce more discipline and develop some system. We will be able to do that, without wearing a bullet-proof west and waiving a disclaimer flag that I was arguing in the name and interest of the team, not certain player.

I never liked the ONLY label, although it could be true to some posts by some posters. It was abused cross GARM, and it was used to attack messengers and messages all over the place. When the owner of this great forum started to officially endorse this labeling, it's just used in almost every page now. Does it really help?

11 people like this.
  8. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Two of the best posts in the whole thread:grin:

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clutch, I had a VERY hard day at the office, but this post made me smile !

Thanks,

DD

10. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Followed by an even more brilliant post. Just brilliant!!!!!

11. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

What do you think that offensive rating and defensive rating are based on? They're the points per 100 possessions... For someone who is acting like they know so much about variance and statistics, you should know what you're critiquing. Clutch based his analysis entirely off of the net rating. /sigh

12. jocar

jocar Member

No, what you do is get a sock, roll the top like a donut, and fill it with hot vaseline. And pow chica pow powww

13. jocar

jocar Member

Sorry wrong forum!

14. Clarinetmonster

Speaking of net rating - here's an interesting tidbit (sorry if slightly off topic) - I was looking at the top 50 net rating players for the last 5 years. Last year none of the Rox cracked that list. The year before, JLin was at #30 on NYK - and Harden was at #7 on OKC. Interesting - not sure what to take from that but... also, apparently net ratings showed that the Rox were better with Harden off the court last year!?!? weirdness.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Haven't made it all the way through the thread, but there was a nice little feature on The Starters (NBA TV) today about Bev and his defensive energy being (1) the lift the team needed last night, and (2) the reason the Rockets are at their best when he starts and Lin is free to go score-crazy off the bench.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Lin is a good player but not great, if he can work on his timing and doing a better choice of when to drive and when not to, i think he will be quite a good player

17. jocar

jocar Member

and Brooks' 3pt shot
    [​IMG]

18. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

That player is called Chris Paul. He worthies more than those 3 putting together...

19. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Lin is really more talented than Bev.

Having said that and for an unknown reason, Lin however is mentally and psychologically damaged.

He doesn't have the swag the Bev has. Bev is just confident.

If Lin could just regain his mental stability, he'd do wonders. He'd have to find himself again if he is to make better. But my question is when?

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

lol! well played