1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Flippin

Flippin Member

pwnyxpress is a LOF fraud that act like he's know bball. When challenged, he skips out a town. LOL.

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't see it as much of an issue. Not sure what clearing his $8.3M off the books would do. If we moved him WITH Asik, then maybe. Question is, who THIS yr or offseason could we move both those players for and get back that is worth it? KLove and LMA are not going to be moved before this Feb. or this offseason most likely (maaaaybe this offseason if POR implodes or KLove gets even more fed up w/ Minny, but even then, why would either trade for what we have to sell?).

If 2015 FA is what we are waiting for, Asik and Lin both off the books by then anyways. Lin's very hard to move right now anyways -- not sure if there's a market for him. Prob keep to run 2nd unit. If Asik would just PLAY, our second unit would be so beast...Lin/Garcia/Casspi/DMo/Asik. That's a starting and possibly WINNING lineup in the EC :p

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Mini Harden? More like Matt Maloney. Do not compare Jeremy to anybody that's considered superstar status. Thank you:)

4. Flippin

Flippin Member

The problem is these LOF over exaggerate Lin's abilities and likes to compare him to elite players like Westbrook, Nash etc. I don't dislike Lin but be truthful. These guys have thick skin they way they spew stuff.

5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Lin would be more effective in the starting line up IF and ONLY IF 2 things happened.

1) Lin was a better defender who could stay in front of his man. (We can't afford to have both Harden and Lin both always gambling on defense. Both players have shown they aren't able to play solid defense.)

2) Harden could play off the ball better, because he's shown that he can be a good spot up shooter. (Highly doubtful, don't quite see Harden doing that this season at least.

Beverley fits with the starting line up because he plays tenacious defense, can spot up/hit 3 pointers.

Sure Lin fans can defend him but Morey made the choice to sign Lin before the Harden trade was completed.

6. Flippin

Flippin Member

It's not even about Lin staying in front of his man. Not even a greatest of defenders that can keep theiir man in front 100% of the time. The problem with Lin is his intensity on defense. He's not vocal unlike Bev, and he doesn't play with the type of energy Bev does on defense. Bev sets the tone on defense and that's extremely important.

7. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Yes. Right. I name 5 possible streams of income and say that Lin has value off the court. I even cited Cyberx who is respected by a bunch of posters on the GARM, who told everyone that he saw Lin's financial impact and it was high. I never once cited exactly how much worth Lin was off the court, and all of a sudden I'm living in a fantasy land? I never denied that the key players are now Harden, Howard and (to a lesser extent) Parsons. I never even really mentioned Jersey sales or broadcasting rights. And by the corporate sponsorships I said "some". By the way, that corporate event was an event of 200 Harvard alumni that I attended for Jeremy Lin, and the person who made the "every one else is paying a lot more" was Hinkie.

I don't consider the corporate sponsorships the main off-the-court value (or even close to it). I said where I thought it was was in marketing - Lin's name comes up in websites, articles, papers, etc. Do you know that people get paid just to click a button every time the word Rockets/Lin gets mentioned? Do you understand that if you get the mention for free instead of spending money for marketing that you've basically just made money? Do you understand that every time someone clinks on a Lin link that money has been made in some form? There's a reason the man has 2+ million followers on the equivalent of China's facebook (?). And also, as a business person, do you understand that if Lin introduces a business person in Taiwan to Les and the two of them privately go into business together in real estate, goods or services, that Les has benefitted tremendously from his association with Lin, even if the Rockets don't?

I'm not trying to tell anyone how much Lin is worth to Les off the court. It could be as small as an extra 2 million or maybe worth 10s of millions or more. Who knows. And he's most certainly not as valuable as Yao. But he's got value off the court.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOF-DE

I've never seen a Rockets game in the flesh
    I cut my teeth watching Lin Youtube movies
    And I'm not proud of my non Texas address,
    In the Starting Line up, no Point Guard envy

But every Lin fans like Lin's teeth, bubble tea, where is the bathroom
    fart stains, McHale frowns, Chandler Parson's hotel room,
    We don't care, we're driving Volvos in our dreams.

We'll never be Clutchfans.. CLUTCH--FANS
    It's a player only thing for us, we've never been on that team bus
    We'll never be Clutchfans.. CLUTCH--FANS
    We know that Clutch is the Ruler, RUL-ER,
    You can call him MVP,
    Lin Rules, Lin Rules! Let me live Linsanity!

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

excuse me?

I'll say what I want, and there have been many posters with alot of green who have made the same comment. They both penetrate, are ball dominant guards, can run an offence, the difference is, Lin is not an elite player while Harden is a bonafide superstar.

I have no contention that LOFs are an absolute menace to this site, but the posters that attempt to instigate and pick a fight when there isn't one to be had are just as bad.

So you can take you're bull**** supercilious attitude and **** off.

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

You dumbasses are just proving the LOF's right in this thread, by dogging your own player who has played well for us and trying to start fights for no reason.

11. Flippin

Flippin Member

Troll. Flag and move on.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Some posters seem to be so incensed by their hatred of LOFs that its warped their evaluation of Lin's performances.

JUST IGNORE THEM.

13. Gil

Gil Member

Surprised at how relatively civil this thread has been apart from a few LOH's baiting LOF's and some incoherent rambling by a Lin zealot. Guessing a few posters must have been banned lately?

14. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Team has a better winning percentage with Lin as the starter. Lin's performance is also sprucing up some of the Beverley numbers cited. During the month of November, Lin played a lot of minutes, including 4th quarter minutes to make up for a lack of productivity out of the starters, including Beverley. Recall the wins against Toronto, NY, Denver, Minnesota and Memphis. When Beverley played the bulk of minutes over the 10 or so game period that Lin was out with an injury, Beverley got outplayed badly most nights. He averaged more fouls than assists, shot in the low 30s, and the team performed at a middling rate even though Howard was finding his offensive game. With Lin as a starter (and no Beverley) the Rockets are 12-6. Without Lin to back up Beverley, the Rockets are 8-5. Fans are a little over exuberant at beating Portland. I think we'll have to wait to see where the team is at the all-star break to determine whether Beverley at the point is a real option and whether Lin is in fact expendable. The real test is whether they can make headway in the standings when they're shooting more to their average from the 3pt line as compared to the Portland game.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You either die a Rockets fan.
    Or you live long enough to see yourself become the LOF/LOH.

16. Flippin

Flippin Member

This argument only works at the other site not here. People here know bball. Pointless.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Schedule is a lot easier the last 11 games or so.

18. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think a lot of LOFs avoid this site now because they don't want to give this board the clicks and not to mention the hostility from some of the posters.

It's funny because I actually see some of the posters go looking for LOF comments elsewhere and bring it back here. Some posters here post more about Lin than actual LOFs. Oh, the irony.

1 person likes this.
  19. Flippin

Flippin Member

The LOF's bring so much nonsense it's hard not to become a LOH even if you started out as a Lin fan because he's a Rocket.

20. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

As a Lin fan, I think he does have elite level talent. He plays 2 positions well. He's one of the best drivers in the NBA. I think if he went to another team and got the role as starter and a coaching staff that gave him the leeway to play his game he would be able to put up 17 pts and 6-8 asts per game while shooting over 45% from the field and 80% from the FT line. Those predictions are well within the range of his statistical averages. He is also an underrated defender and the stats back it up. Those are better numbers than a lot of starting guards in the league, including guys like Lillard and Irving. Plus the guy wins games wherever he goes and in whatever role you put him in. I just think that if Houston doesn't believe in him they should trade him rather than relegating him to 20 minutes a night backing up Beverley. You can pay Aaron Brooks to do that.