1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired cop guns down man for texting at Florida movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jan 13, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Old dude is definitely and ass whole on a texting crusade. But you want to know why I think Oulson is an ass whole? Here you go.

Oulson was texting in a theater which is a no no. Pretty much ever theater puts up some kind of advertising against it because it disturbs the patrons trying to enjoy the movie or even previews (yes a lot of movie patrons enjoy the previews). But that does not make Oulson and ass whole IMO.

He was asked by another patron to stop texting but he refused or at least carry it into the lobby. That made him an ass whole.

Oulson was asked multiple times and continued to refuse. That really makes him an ass whole.

Oulson confronts the old man after the old man complains to management, "Oh, did you go tell the manager on me?" That makes him a really bad ass whole because now he is just trying to make fun of the old man (IMO) while he continues to text.

Finally, this 41 year old man who stands over 6 feet tall, stands up, faces the 71 year old man and throws popcorn in the face of this 71 year old man. I'm sure the old man said something really ugly to Oulson but that does not give you the right to stand up and throw popcorn in the face of a 71 year old man when he is at the theater with his wife who is probably also in her 70's. Good grief even if you hate the old man have some sympathy for the old lady. Oulson was an absolute complete ass whole.

None of that justifies Reeves shooting Oulson. I don't doubt that Reeves was also an ass whole. But just because Reeves was out of line by pulling his gun and shooting Oulson doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that Oulson was a complete ass whole.

Had Reeves been a 6'5", 250 lb body builder I seriously doubt that Oulson would had ignored his request, at the very least I doubt he would have thrown popcorn in Reeves face. He only did it because he thought Reeves was an easy target. Instead Reeves turned out to be a psychopath with a gun.

Seriously though, who really thinks throwing popcorn in another mans face isn't the precursor to a much more physically violent altercation?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yes, and Trayvon Martin was an inconsiderate ass for walking around looking like a hoodlum at all hours of the night.

And Oscar Grant was an inconsiderate ass for resisting arrest and asking officers why he was being arrested.

And kids that are murdered in school shootings are inconsiderate asses because they bullied the student that killed them.

They all had it coming. All situations that could have been easily preventable if people weren’t such inconsiderate asses.

4. crash5179

How could you not expect situation to escalate when you stand up and throw popcorn in someones face? We live in a society where ass wholes walk into schools and shoot kids they don't even know so how can you possibly think that this was a result that *no one* could have foreseen.

It was not a justifiable solution for sure. The old man should not have shot and killed Oulson but to act like it's a shock with all the daily reminders that our society is full of psychopaths with guns both legal and illegal should not come as a surprise to anyone.

By saying the young man did not deserve to die but he was still an ass and could have avoided the situation by being considerate is not removing responsibility from the killer. I've repeated it over and over, the killer was wrong and will likely go to jail. I do not think he was justified in killing Oulson...who by the was was a complete ass.

5. crash5179

Really? I don't agree with that but at least now I know how you feel. By the way, even if you think he was a complete ass, it didn't give someone the right to kill him. Kind of like it didn't give Reeves the right to kill Oulson, but I have stated that many times also.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

What a complete meltdown by crash5179 on this thread.

7. crash5179

Just curious, what would you have done if you had a 70 something grandfather and you witnessed a big guy 30 years his junior come towards him and throw popcorn in his face? I'm just curious. Do you just ignore it and say, "No big deal, it won't hurt grandpa" or do you jump the guy? Keep in mind voices are raised and this guy is aggressively coming at your grandfather. I have a hard time guessing anyone would just sit there and not jump the younger guy.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The 71-yo man is a 6'2" 275 pound ex-police captain -- he is a big, capable man even at 71. He retired in the early 90's from law enforcement and became the head of security of a theme park I believe until around 2006 when he stepped down. The wording of his resignation from the security position sounds like he was forced to resign aka fired, but the company won't confirm the reason he left.

Your arguments are limited in true detail and the point you keep trying to make is weak -- also, learn to spell *******... correctly.

1 person likes this.
  9. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

The quote of mine that you just responded too was my response to tmac2k8 saying that he had the urge to hurt or kill a 12 year old for being rude to him after playing in the street. But I will answer your very specific question that isn't all that relevant.

Id stand in front of my grandfather and confront the guy who just threw popcorn. Id say what the hell and probably throw popcorn or even a soda back. Or I might just tell him to back the hell off and id tell my grandpa we should leave. Not everyones brains think of violence when they get angry. This thread is proof that a lot of people think very differently. Especially when it comes to stress management.

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

The more I look at it, the more it seems like two bullies going at it.

Crash has a point. What if you were there and someone through popcorn at your 71 year old grandpa. How would you react?

11. Falcons Talon

This is a great point. The fact is not everyone gets violent, but obviously some do. All the more reason not to illustrate why we should just treat others with some respect and consideration

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are distorting the facts here to justify your meltdown on this thread, by exaggerating the situation.

Fact: "Grandfather" shot the younger guy dead.

Fact: "Grandfather" was the one who initiated the confrontation.
    Fact: "Grandfather" had a history of being an anal-retentive control freak who harassed people at movie theaters.
    Fact: "Grandfather" once followed a young woman to the bathroom and stared at her throughout a movie.
    Fact: "Grandfather" brought a gun to a movie theater.

Speculation by crash5179: Younger guy "aggressively came at 'grandfather'" and "threw popcorn in his face" - you have absolutely no clue about this. All we know is that "grandfather" initiated the whole confrontation, that he angrily walked out, angrily came back, that words were exchanged, and that somehow, popcorn was in the air (whether accidental, who actually threw it - there are conflicting reports about this). There is also nothing in any of the reports that says that the popcorn went into the older man's face.

You are making stuff up because you have been embarrassing yourself on this thread like crazy.

Just stop. It's like watching a train wreck.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

I understand you feel what Reeves did was wrong. You’ve made that clear. What I don’t understand is the notion that Oulsen was an inconsiderate ass (which I don’t think has been proven yet), and that anyone that is an inconsiderate ass should basically just walk around with a bulletproof vest because one of the consequences could be death. We’ve been so desensitized to death.

I think there is something wrong when people start to accept the fact that if you’re rude to someone, you could get murdered. There used to be a time when if I acted like a jerk, all that I would have to worry about was someone yelling at me and maybe punching me in the face.

I gave you examples of situations in which people that were MURDERED could have easily prevented their fate.

Do you feel like any of those people should feel responsible for getting themselves MURDERED?

14. Falcons Talon

Crash has stated over and over ad nauseum that this guy didn't deserve to be shot. He's just saying that if the guy would have followed the rules and not been confrontational, he may still be alive.

Where did the situation begin? With the guy texting or with the shooter asking him to stop?

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The shooter initiated the confrontation. The cinema's rules are the cinema's rules. The shooter has no right to enforce anything on behalf of the cinema. Nobody appointed him to be the texting police.

If you are exceeding the speed limit, that doesn't give me the right to confront you and shoot you.

16. crash5179

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/...-your-ground-defense-why-didnt-he-move-seats/
    It's certainly being reported as a fact that Oulson struck Reeves in the face with a bag of popcorn. Your ignoring that and claiming that it isn't fact is pathetic and proves that you can't justify Oulson being this great guy that was just sitting their doing nothing when this killer just walked up on him and shot him if in fact he was antagonizing the old man.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for your answer about what you would do if you saw some guy 30 years younger than your 70 something grandfather stand up and aggressively throw popcorn at in your grandfathers face. And I use the word aggressively because I think it's kind of impossible to passively throw popcorn in someones face.

So I'm eagerly awaiting your answer.

17. Falcons Talon

So he should have gone straight to management for the texting?

18. crash5179

Fiction number 1 - The shooter killed Oulson for texting. That is complete fiction.

Fact - Reeves killed Oulson because he came at him and threw a bag of popcorn in his face.

As a patron Reeves had every right to ask Oulson to stop texting and he had every right to report him to Management. Oulson had zero right to throw popcorn in Reeves face. That was the 1st law that was broke and the 1st felony committed that day.

Remember its a felony in Florida to strike someone over 65 with something as small as a marshmallow.

19. crash5179

Oh wait he did go to management and Oulson through popcorn in his face for doing it. Some people don't get it.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not by murdering that person.