1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired cop guns down man for texting at Florida movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I bet the shooter's wife knew he had a screw loose. She's probably been on the receiving end of some of that. She could have stopped this imo by slapping him upside the head when she saw what he was doing. But, since she did not, I think maybe she was on the abusive end of some of that before. Wives can manhandle their men when they want to and put them in line. I would like to know what she was doing the entire time this was going on...saying "quiet...I'm trying to watch the previews!"? lol

I'm not sure the wives tried hard enough to save their men from themselves. The one stuck her hand over her husband's chest and had her hand shot. But, why didn't they get involved more to break it up? It doesn't read like they were doing anything when all this was going on.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

To be honest, there are whole lot other things about movie theaters that are more bothersome than texting to some ppl like my wife. She complains about the cologne people wear, the odor, the filthy seat, ... so she will not go anymore, and haven't I for a while. It is called a public place for a freaking reason. You just need to learn how to cooperate, or just avoid. Should people text during a movie, I wouldn't, but I would not stand up and confront others that do over chicken shiat like that and move over carrying a freaking gun like I am a Sumurai. That is more wrong than the guy was texting. Saying "I don't feel sorry" indicates you think the guy shares responsibility or even culpability for what happened, that is a strong statement, but maybe you didn't meant it.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Did we resolve this yet or do we need another 20 pages?

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How do you know he was being an inconsiderate ass -- we've really only heard the shooter's story.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I know that this was directed at someone else, but the cologne, the seats, even the gun, there are no commercials or signs or anything that says those are not allowed. The theater has few house rules, and no texting or talking on the phone is one of them. Its really not much to ask. I've leaned over and told people their phone light is distracting when they are texting during a movie before.

6. Falcons Talon

From what i can see, the texting, which was easily correctable, but then the popcorn throwing and the harrassing of the shooter in mocking him for going to management about it. But you are right. We don't know how the shooter spoke to the guy.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Was it the shooters story, the witnessess story or a combination? I have no idea since, Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco was the one being quoted in the OP. All I'm going from is what was said in the article and it does not say anything about it being the shooters story.

I would say that makes it pretty clear that Oulson was being an absolute ass. That does not excuse Reeves but it sure seems pretty clear to me.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Since you mentioned it, stinking the theater with garlic odor, especially after a barbeque or something is very inconsiderate. But bo theater will post a sign like "no bad smell", but will you stand up and yell the guy next to you "yo ... too much Garlic, GTFO". So why is texting so bad? Let's not focus whether there is a sign.

9. Falcons Talon

Like I said, there is no rule against stinking. I've had to sit through shows at IMAX with assigned seating with guys that smelled horrible. If it bothered me that much, I would ask to be moved, because there is no rule against smelling bad. But since there IS a rule against texting or talking during the show, I would ask them to put away the phone.

Texting causes an annoying and distracting glare in the dark theater. It bothers some and may not bother others, but it has obviously bothered enough people that the theaters put signs and show preview commercial that tell people not text or talk during a movie.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

[​IMG]

(partially my fault, of course)

11. dandorotik

12. dragician

dragician Member

Back home in the Philippines, a guy's foot was stabbed for doing this...

and yes, he was warned but won't listen...

bully people need lessons...

when in public, respect other people.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, I disagree. I don't believe that only having on duty police officers being the only people bringing guns inside a movie theater would result in any shootings. It's possible, but I believe highly unlikely.

I haven't seen anything to indicate there are any police shooting unarmed people inside movie theaters today. If everyone just left their guns at home I doubt there would be on duty cops coming in and shooting people.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I've said before, I don't think the guy texting shares any blame for being shot dead at the theater.

That being said, I will say something if people are texting during a film. There are public announcements and promos from the theater itself before every film saying it's rude, and not to do it. Anyone who ignores that is being an ass.

The light from a cell phone is disturbing not because it hurts or bothers your eyes, but because it draws attention away from the film, the atmosphere, and mood, etc. In a dark theater having a little light pop on definitely draws attention.

1 person likes this.
  15. dandorotik

Umm, bully people do not need to be stabbed or shot as part of the lesson. It's called evolution.

16. Falcons Talon

How do you feel bullies should be handled. A firm scolding? Let the law handle it? Playground rules?

I'm not trying to be inflammatory and I'm not advocating stabbing or shooting a bully. I just want to get a feel for how where you stand.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

In conclusion don't be an ass or you might wind up dead.

18. dandorotik

What's the situation? Are we talking about in a theater? If I ask someone to stop doing something and they continue to do it, then I get a manager. If they don't do anything about it, then I ask for my money back. I don't have a problem telling someone off if they're being a bully, but at the same time, sometimes the best thing to do is walk away.

As I mentioned before, I've had guys do this to me in a bar- you know, some drunk-a** mother******** who has the Billy bad-ass complex after a few too many. I've talked a few down, gotten the manager in most of the situations, and got into a fistfight in one rare instance. Got me kicked out of Red Square in the 90s. These days, I just ignore them- and hopefully, the law or the rules will get them (e.g. kicked out of the theater, etc.).

19. dragician

dragician Member

couldn't agree more.

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yes, but using that same logic. The next time you think about pestering someone to put up their phone at the movie theater, you better think twice. You may end up dead as well.