1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Aaron Brooks be our starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jan 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I actually agree with a lot of your points. The problem is there are two versions of Jeremy Lin and I don't think it's solely do to coaching. Lin has improved his left hand and I think his shot looks better this season even though he's in a slump (he release is improved and it's more natural). The biggest issue is he still gets in the air with nowhere to go. It's a huge problem that seems to be part of his game. He also stands around on offense far too much for my liking. He touches the ball enough to assert himself and we've seen him do it. Over the holidays he was playing poorly twice and then had a great 4th. The freedom is there. He just is content to go through the motions a lot. I will give credence to the fact that getting benched a lot can affect rhythm and confidence, but you have to fight through that as a professional athlete. I just think he's more suited for the 6th man role and think he would be a good one. That's not an insult or not thinking he's good enough.

Reality is we don't have a leader on the court and it's a big problem. We have arguably the two best players at their position and we still see stuff like last night. That's why I'm such an advocate for Rondo. Someone who will get in Harden and Howard's face and hold them accountable. Look at the Parsons interview Clutch posted. How do you not know you scored only 19 points in a half? Blame coaching all you want but he was out on the court and should be aware of how abysmal the scoring output was. No accountability, no leadership equates to folding in close games.

Bev coming back will help because Brooks is a matador and we will win a few games but it's because it improves our depth and is only a momentary fix.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Brooks is not a capable starter anymore but neither is Lin. bev is the best bet at the moment but he isn't the long term answer either.

Therein lies the problem. The entire PG rotation is average to below average.

3. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Good points. Honestly I think it's a combination of things. I think the repeated benchings have taken their toll. He seems a lot more risk averse this season not trying to make the big plays in order to limit his turnovers. (Which he has done in the last few games). I also feel that he has become antipathetic and quit a little on the team. For example, when was the last time you saw him take an offensive charge on a fast break? He used to do that all the time. Maybe it's a fear of getting injured but he isn't really giving his all the way he used to.

Professional athlete's have to fight through stuff, but this has been going on for a year and a half now and eventually it's bound to take its toll. He worked his ass off in the summer only to come back and find his starting spot had been given to Beverely without him having a chance to fight for it.

But all that aside I think the problem is deeper than Lin or his confidence. The problem is our complete lack of offensive game planning. I think Lin is good, but not good enough to always break down defenses on his own, especially GOOD defenses. But then who is? Even Harden gets locked down and last night is a good example of that.

Mchale seems to have an allergy to PnRs. Other teams give their guards screen after screen. They move defenses around. Our guards are lucky to get A SCREEN and usually they are for Harden and rarely for Lin. I think if we gie him more pick and rolls, he can be much more effective and open up the game for his team mates. The point is we need more offensive sets to open up strong defenses.

I think Lin actually has or had the mentality to be a leader. But that's not possible when the coach treats you as a bench scrub. It's hard to get players to respect or listen to you. I think Lin could be that player, but perhaps not on this team.

Of course if you get Rondo... that's a game changer. But I don't think we are getting Rondo. But I agree with the jist of what you are saying.

Agree with this also. But with Asik's trade value at rock bottom and Lin's not much better, I'm not sure what options there are.

A new coach perhaps?

4. rokit

rokit Member

i used to think the same, but nah... he's already one of the leaders in drives per game, so what else is he supposed to do? shoot a contested jumper every time he touches the ball? run pick and roll with himself?

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

He's palying better than LIN.. Lin cant run a offense to save his life.. All you have to do is defend him close and he gets all scared

6. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

We need someone who can get vocal on the court. Shout at Harden and Howard when they play lacklustre.

Problem is, Harden would laugh at Lin and if Howard didn't like Kobe shouting at him how would he respond to Rondo?

Though honestly I think Howard is fine, he is being mature and team oriented.

Harden is just a little immature still and needs a smart coach to reign him in a little and get him to pick his spots better. He has to trust his team mates and not try to do everything on his own. But that will come with time. He also needs to learn to take more responsibility and hold himself accountable first or foremost. Again that's difficult considering the way Mchale has treated him with kid gloves thus far.

7. yummyhawtsauce

I agree with that Lin stands aroun don offense but it might be because the coach asks him to do this. I get pretty mad when I see him chill there but not in a ready stance to shoot or at least cut.

8. yummyhawtsauce

Good points. I also feel Lin is afraid to turn the ball over these past few games - esp last night he should have been more reckless. He was doubled everytime and for a pick and roll the other defender would quickly trap Lin forcing him to pass. DMO also does not set a great screen for him either.

Lin needs to just try to see what he can do against the defense. Otherwise he will never learn. Having said that....Coach benched him until 4 min left in the game in which Lin was pretty much useless to try to do anything at that point.

A new coach perhaps??

9. Lihao

Lihao Member

It's funny that the problem of Brooks is what Lin lacks of. He's not afraid to shoot at all , it's great when it's going in, but it's frustrated as hell when he's keep shooting even though he can't make them.

10. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

You want Rondo because he is someone who will get in teammates' face and hold them accountable? Oh you mean you want Rondo to replace Mchale. I thought Rondo still wants to play bball in the league. jk

Honestly, If Rondo see the way we play offense. He wouldn't want to be here. You need to tell me how is Rondo going to fit with Harden as both of them are ball dominant guards. Not to mention Rondo is such as poor 3pt shooter which is really going to hurt this team.

To me it sounds like you want someone to hold people account, not particularly a PG.

Simple. Replace the coach.

I agree with you tho, Lin improved his left a lot, he seems to go left quite often, but his mental toughness is questionable. I know the coaches don't have much faith in him but he can't let that bother him as he is a professional athlete.

11. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I like both Lin and Brooks as players, but not on a championship contending team. Lin ia a few years away. With Lin his turnovers are bad, but also he compounds the turnovers with bad one oon one defense. Rondo is good enough, but combining asking price and health concerns not a realistic player to target at least not now.

Kevin Mc is a better coach for Howard than for Harden, Lin or Brooks that's why I feel a guy like Andre Miller would be great for this team. Someone who can coach Lin to be a smarter player while helping us make good decisions on the court now. Also as a bonus he's a post player for his position.

If Deron Williams was not hurt quite as much as he is he would be worth the gamble, but he is just hurt all the time. Jose Calderon comes to mind to lower the turnovers not a great player but a good fit on this team although that trade will not happen.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I never, ever want the ball in AB's hand unless his shot happens to be falling that night. Otherwise, his ass needs to be welded to the pine.

13. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

I'm just wondering what point guard we can get that :

1) Has McHale's respect and will be allowed to run the team.
    2) Is somewhat of a two way player.
    3) A realistic trade target.

Asik and Lin have very little trade value. Do we really want to give up Parsons or Tjones to get another PG. If so then who do you get in their stead? Meanwhile who is backing up Howard?

I'm sorry but James is just not a point guard player. He can't play in that style.

Like it or not, Lin is probably the bet prospect for a starting, playmaking PG this team has right now. Except he's useless as a backup SG and needs screens and pick and role play to be anyway effective.

14. rokit

rokit Member

then how the hell is he top3 in FG% and TS% while running P&R less than any other point guard? lol

15. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Lin plays 40 minutes and scores 10-15 pts and people rag on him for not doing enough. Maybe it's because he's at MOST the 3rd option and oftentimes the 4th (Harden, Howard, Parsons, Lin). At the beginning of games, it's always get-the-ball-to-Howard-in-the-post time, and then, when that fails, Harden time.

Lin has been regulated to be the Derek Fisher for this team. The problem is, he's better than Derek Fisher.

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Which Derek Fisher are you speaking of?

The Derek Fisher now or the one that played with the Lakers during the championship run...

If you say now, yes Lin is better; but if you say during the championship run.. Then you have lost your mind..

Love or hate DF, the man was a leader on the floor and a get in your face defender.. Also quiet as it's kept you did not leave him alone during crunch time... DF was the Lakers Mario Elie, they both had that junk yard dog mentality... Lin is not on that level.

T_Man

17. mikster

mikster Rookie

You mean him drawing a double team everything he crosses half court like last night's game?

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If we are talking about Fisher in his prime, I would swap Lin for Fisher any day of the week.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thank you...

We can hate fisher all we want... But his on court leadership was amazing and his in your face D was one of the best... I'm not a big fan of his, but I have to give the man his credit...

T_Man

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Wrong. Fisher when he was with the Lakers was the ideal 3 and D guy to play behind Kobe/Shaq or Kobe/Pau.

A prime Fisher on this team would be far better than Lin. Fisher fits the role better than Lin.