1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank of America is Crazy. Has this happened to anybody?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ras137, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

I have a credit card through Bank of America that I attempted to use this evening. I attempted to use it a couple of times and it was "not able to process" So I got home and I try to get online and it won't let me. So I call up the customer service number on the back of the card. I finally reach a lady who asks me some security questions, and then tells me that somebody accessed my account from a "different IP address than normal" I couldn't verify if it was me or not. I did access my account from home (which is rare) which I usually do it from work (which has a static IP) but it also may have not been me. Anyway she proceeds to tell me they are going to close my access to online banking (I have a bank account with BofA too) and credit card account for SIX MONTHS. I was like "WHAT? That's insane" She then puts me on hold and comes back and tells me "Do I want to be responsible for any fraudulent charges to my account" (Is that even legal??) I continue to argue with the woman for another 10 minutes and got no satisfactory answers to my question: Why can't we just create another online ID and password for my accounts? I also tell her since I can't access my account I don't know if there is any fraud and I'm not committing to six months no access based on the possibility somebody may have accessed my account, especially when at this moment I can't verify any fraudulent activity. I'm relatively young and I do everything online (I don't even have checks) and not having access online for six months would be a huge inconvenience. Flustered, I told her I'd call back but I'm going to try a branch tomorrow morning, see if I can look at my accounts and hopefully they will be more sensible.

TLDR: BofA cut off my credit card and blocked access to my accounts because somebody accessed my online account "from a different than normal IP address" (which may have been me) and now wants to block MY online access to my checking account and credit card for SIX MONTHS or take responsibility for any fraud

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This sounds pretty insane. The only other financial institution I've heard of who does crap like that (needless holds your money for months on end) is Paypal.

What do they care about fraudulent charges? MasterCard or Visa covers those. Also, what in the hell does your credit card account have to do with your banking account? They are two different systems. Your banking account is your money, and they must give you access to it... they can't simply hold your funds.

Personally, I'd give the Texas (if you're in Texas) Attorney General's office a call first thing and report this. At the very least I'd threaten the bank manager that I'd do it, not to mention calling every consumer reporter in the state.

I'd head to Bank of America tomorrow and withdraw all of my money, close the account and head to the nearest credit union.

TL;DR - Banks are ****, use credit unions.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This situation seems too extreme. Perhaps there's a breakdown in communication or the csr just had no idea what she was supposed to do...or some combo. Good luck at the branch.

4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I had something somewhat similar happen at Wells Fargo, but going to the branch worked out fine for me. Being there in person with 1-2 valid forms of identification always helps to strengthen your position. They'll be more willing to reset your online account's password and/or id.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my first thought is that you spoke to someone in an offshore call center who barely speaks english, barely knows the actual banking policies, and just reads canned phrases off a prepared script. and that's why you got the run-around. i would just call back and speak to another person there. phillipines, guatamala, india, trinidad - i've had the displeasure of dealing with reps from each of these in the past year :X

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

PROTIP: Always ask for state-side support. Most companies will comply with your request.

Dude in heavy Indian accent: "Hello, my name is Steve. How many I help you?"
    Me: "Bro, I know your name isn't Steve. Please transfer me to support staff in the United States. Thanks."
    Steve: "Okay my friend."

If they don't transfer you, simply escalate to a manager immediately.

#6 Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Go to a branch location tomorrow morning and ask to speak to the manager or whoever is high up. It will get resolved quickly. If it isn't resolved politely and quickly then escalate the situation.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks, i will try this. i usually try requesting to speak with a manager, but typically get put on hold forever and just end up hanging up.

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

**** bank of america

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My ip internet pw was changed and then soon my credit cards were hacked. My walmart bank caught this though.

11. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

I had an issue with Citi bank a few years ago where someone used my SSN and opened up a credit card account with them. I called them to let them know that account was not mine and the lady was asking me for my password/pin to get into the account, even asked me my security question but i was telling her if Im not the one who opened the account then of course I won't know those security answers. She then yells at me and says "how do I know your not just some average joe trying to hack into someone elses credit card account then??"

Dumb b****.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Take your business elsewhere.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

$23 trillion in derivative exposure. $1 trillion in deposits. Move to another bank regardless

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WTF...Chase is pretty good. Always verifies your ID if you are trying to log on from a different IP then normal.

Also love Citi bank for their credit card services. I'll get a call, email or text right away if they are suspicious of a transaction.

15. g1184

g1184 Member

I have BofA. Usually, when I use a new IP address to do online banking, they take me to the "security question" screen and life goes on.

Some stuff be happenin' in your account.

16. Glish21

Glish21 Member

BOA once signed me up for a monthly insurance on my credit card. I never approved this, turns out they got an acceptance from another person in houston with my first and last name. Took months to resolve. Idiots.

17. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Yup. Dump BoA and get a credit union ASAP. I did that two years ago (RBFCU) and couldn't be more pleased with the services and customer support I've received from them. I know it's a hassle to change over all your online accounts to a new bank, but it's totally worth it in the long run.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Been thinking about this lately. Any benefits besides the customer support? Is it better rates? easier lending process? etc.

19. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Get rid of Bank of America ASAP. I will never do business with them again. It's the bank with the most horror stories.

20. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Thanks guys I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was insane. I'm guessing they are really trying to cover their ass. Anyway, I'm going during lunch to talk to them at the branch. Unfortunately closing my credit card is not a good option. Its my oldest card (I've had it since a freshman in college) with by far the largest credit limit (more than double my next highest).

BofA isn't my primary bank, I just keep the checking account open to pay said credit card (they make it difficult to pay from another bank account, and that caused a different fiasco a few years ago).

We'll see how things play out.