1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired cop guns down man for texting at Florida movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jan 13, 2014.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You're having a hard time feeling sorry for a man who was killed OVER TEXTING DURING A ******* PREVIEW??> F**K YOU.

2. ILoveWhiteGirls

Would never happen at a screening of Spike Jonze, "Her."

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

im pretty sure that old man was as patient as you could be with the victim. he even went to complain to the manager instead of escalating the argument even further prior to the ******* throwing popcorn at him. im also pretty sure that the 41 yr old was the antagonist that provoked the retired office further than what it needed to be, concluding to the old man to actually take action.

im not saying that the victim deserved to die for using his cellphone but i can guarantee you the cellphone wasnt an isolated incident. its the fact that he thought he could bully an old man. just so happens the old man was packing heat.

4. dandorotik

Hell yes it upsets me you f**king moron- I don't give a **** what the guy was doing, you don't ****** shoot someone over it- and yes, you did imply he deserved to die. Unbelievable.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No. I'm having a heard time feeling sorry for a jackass that was being inconsiderate intentionally and then antagonized and old men because he felt the old man was an easy target and then throwing popcorn in the mans face. That's why I have a hard time feeling sorry for the guy so guess what? if that upsets you junior to fuking bad.

1 person likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why is it a big deal if he's texting during previews? Do people really find it that distracting?

7. crash5179

You can interpret it however it makes you feel good. I repeat, I HAVE A REAL FUKING HARD TIME FEELING SORRY FOR THE JACK ASS THAT ANTAGONIZED AN OLD MAN AND THROUGH POPCORN IN HIS FACE. There is that clear enough for you. Does it make you feel better to interpret it that I think he deserved to die? The start interpreting junior.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You're not understanding what happened here.

The victim died because he confronted the old man. The victim was a jackass who was inconsiderate after being politely asked to stop his rude behavior, and took huge offense that the old man asked management to get him to stop his rude behavior.

The old man didn't just shoot him because he was texting. He shot the victim because the victim puffed his chest at the old man, thinking he could get away with his rude behavior because he was bigger and stronger.

Three parties had fault in this incident. The victim because he was a jackass. The old man because he pulled a gun on someone when his life wasn't to the point of being threatened. And the theater for not defusing the situation, although intervening towards the end could have been difficult given timing of the events.

It's pretty hard to have sympathy for either of them since they both had tragic character flaws.

9. New Jack

New Jack Member

Unless you were there in the theater seeing the texter being a dick, it's really hard to say who was antagonizing who. To me, it sounds like the shooter was the one antagonizing. I don't consider checking a text message during preview trailers to be that big a deal. During the movie, maybe, but not during the trailers. Not really worth reporting movie staff over and certainly not worth shooting someone over.

What if the texter was the one packing heat, and he shot the old man because he kept barking at him to put his phone away?

Don't go making a big deal about something that isn't that big a deal.

10. crash5179

I'm just curious, does anyone think the 41 year old man would have escalated the incident by verbally antagonizing and then throwing popcorn the mans face if he were 30 years old 6'5" tall 250lbs and in perfect shape? Hell no. He only antagonized the old man because he felt safe doing it. He was bulling the old man and as it turned out he was bullying the wrong person.

The old man will go to jail as he should. But the 41 year old will continue to be dead because he was bullying an old man, not realizing the old man had a gun.

11. dandorotik

And of those 3 parties, one is no longer on this earth to defend himself.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Why was he only charged with 2nd degree? There is nothing 2nd degree about what he did.

13. crash5179

Going be the OP the texter was clearly the antagonist. I'm really not sure how it can be interpreted any other way. He was not supposed to be texting in the theater. He was asked to stop but didn't. When the old man went to management the tester verbally antagonized him about it and then through popcorn in the old mans face.

14. dandorotik

And that serves him right, correct? Bully someone- questionable if it even was bullying- and get killed. Not a prolonged period of bullying, no- one incident in which a person shot another person over an argument rather than letting management handle it, moving his seat, etc. Choice. Yep, he sure bullied the wrong person- the good ole redneck mentality alive and well on ClutchFans.

15. crash5179

You read what you want to read. You interpret it the way you want to interpret it regardless of the truth. I never said the guy deserved to get killed but I did say I am having a hard time feeling sorry for him. You know what? I'm still having a hard time feeling sorry for him.

16. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

I don't think you're weighing the situation correctly. Loss of life isn't even close to a proper punishment for texting in a theater. Its ridiculous to extend any sympathy to the murderer here.

17. dandorotik

"The man who had been texting, Chad Oulson, got up and turned to Reeves to ask him if he had gone to tell on him for his texting. Oulson reportedly said, in effect: I was just sending a message to my young daughter."

Bay News 9 spoke to a neighbor of Oulson's who said the dead man was a very nice guy who he couldn't envision being involved in an incident like this. "Always smiling. I've never seen him angry," Bill Costas said. If I needed help with something he was always there.

On the theaters' website is a list of prohibited items and actions. Among them: No cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, let's not be so quick to judge. The old man with a gun in a movie theater isn't your typical senior citizen. Just calm down.
    I will give you this though he was charged with 2nd degree, so there must be more than what was reported.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

err, i know they say "don't pull out a gun unless you fully expect to use it," but the old man's life was not in danger so he had no right to do what he did.

For an individual to draw a weapon during a confrontation, you would imagine a lack of competence by the old man or serious aggression (beyond popcorn throwing) by the victim.

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

A lot depends on HOW he was asked to stop by the old man. I don't know the old man, but he obviously has a pretty bad temper to go shooting someone over something so trivial.If I check my phone and some grumpy old man gets up in my face and rudely yells at me to put my phone away repeatedly, I might be inclined to be a dick right back to him too. I have a feeling, a lot of people would.