1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Hawks 1/10/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 9, 2014.

1. nchan

nchan Member

I can't believe we have two maxed Superstars and we don't win games unless we have Parsons. OMG. Unbelievable.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Of course people are going to blame Lin. He had a defensive lapse that gave them an open 3 to take the lead, then on a clutch possession he ran an ISO for himself and promptly turned it over, and on the last possession when we KNEW we had to have a three he can't even get his feet behind the line.

Of course it's never fair to blame a game on one person but he really screwed up tonight, so you have to expect some people to blame it on him.

3. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

32% from 3 for the season...0/5 for the game from 3. I wouldn't doubt if the game plan was to help off him and get the ball out of Milsap's hands.

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

Bottom line is we need Parsons. He needs to return pronto.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, you can say that almost about every players on the Rockets this season other than Parson, Bev and Asik. We seems to have players that make too many simple undisciplined mistakes.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sure, but was it warranted in that situation. Harden wasn't yet beat and you still have your big back. Plus, Milsap actually tweaked his ankle (known after the fact) so it was likely that he wouldn't be able to do anything much in the drive.

With that said, one thing I don't like about the Rocket's defense is too much help away from the perimeter. I think it's part of our defensive strategy (packing the paint) because I see it far too often with all the perimeter players. We have big that are suppose to be great defenders. Don't over help.

7. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Lin is an after thought in this offense...it's odd to see Brooks/Cisco/DMo running PNR when one of the most efficient PNR ball handlers camps at the 3 pt line.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Absolutely zero reason for Lin to over help especially after getting burned several times this season.

If I remember well, Sampson said one of the game plans on D is to not give up easy open look 3's but rather have the players drive to the rim where they have to beat an intimidating Howard down low.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Cisco and DMo running pick and roll? Must have missed that.

Harden/Howard are the ones that should run the pick and roll in crunch time, and Howard is an afterthought in this offense sadly.

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Do you even watch the games? You're right that was a boneheaded play when he jumped on Milsap and left his man open for the three. Yes Lin's offense hasn't been the greatest since he came back from his injury, but his defense has been very good, better than Bev's before his injury.

Lin was having a good season before his injury, and has been playing very good D since his injury. Every Rocket player has had bad games and it's alright to call them out. The thing is when Lin does something wrong many fans blow it out of proportion. If you're one of the people that do that maybe you should ask yourself why.

Bev plays good defense and bad offense,

and everybody thinks he is great and what the Rockets need at the starting pg position.

Lin plays good defense and bad offense.

and everybody thinks he sucks and is the worse player in Rockets history.

11. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Hindsight is 20/20. The dude was 1/9 for the game.

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

Not trying to defend Lin here since he was pretty horrible tonight, but Carrol was 0-8 before he drain that 3. In most cases leaving him open to help out others would be ideal.

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

I think I may watch the team in the playoffs. This team loses to so many crap teams, it makes me sad.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not just one game. I have seen Lin leave his man wide open for 3's several times this season only to get burnt.

Btw, if a player has a bad game, I call him out. No one is blowing Lin's bad game out of proportion. If he has a good game, he gets the praise he deserves and rightly so and if he has a bad game like he has the past few games, he will also get called out for that.

Stop being so insecure.

15. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

It looked like that 3 by Carroll was really close to being a 2 pointer as well, but surprised that no one noticed it and it wasn't reviewed at all. Might have changed the rest of the game had that indeed been a 2.

16. TIPS-DIEHARD

TIPS-DIEHARD Member

It's the coach,Mchale don’t know what to do under pressure. Mchale is in the same place he was in last year and end up fighting for the eight spot in the play offs. Don’t know if we will make it this year. I know of at least 10 games this year were winnable games. It’s how Mchale play his guys that lost them. We have a championship team with the right kind of coach I can see another championship. I am tired of waiting for 18 years to get another championship. I haven’t seen anyone like Rudy T. in a while. Hey maybe we need Rudy T back. Lol Les should care about his fans and their opinions. I have nothing against McHale, he is just not a skilled coach. Fans should count.

17. Billionzz

What is wrong with you?

18. muas2010

muas2010 Member

As a die hard Lin fan, I see him doing this just about every game and it bugs the hell out of me. I don't know if the coach is coaching/telling him to do this or he's playing hero defense. This is the NBA so you need to respect all bodies on the court....Hell, even Dwight made a 3 point this season.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Unless McHale is putting a gun to these guys' heads in the locker room and forcing them to turn the ball over excessively and inexplicably miss FTs, the players deserve their share of the blame for these close losses. Are there coaching issues? Yeah. But in tight games like tonight, a few fewer turnovers and/or a few more made FTs would have made the difference. That's on the players.

20. Billionzz

One good thing about tonight, Harden looked better on D than usual.