1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Christie traffic scandal: An end to presidential plans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

*giggles*

the "Schultz defense" -- I KNOW NOTHING!!....is Obama's go-to approach when there's a crisis

now you're dogging it? lol funny how you flip flop

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bridge-Spat Emails Pose Questions For Christie

Emails show a top aide to Gov. Chris Christie told a Port Authority executive it was "time for some traffic problems" in Fort Lee, N.J., before the authority closed lanes onto the George Washington Bridge. Christie called it "unsanctioned conduct."

The emails brought the bridge incident, which has simmered for months, to the doorstep of Mr. Christie. For the first time, a high-ranking member of his inner circle has been tied to allegations from Democrats that the lane closures were payback for a Democratic mayor who didn’t endorse the Republican governor’s 2013 re-election bid.

Mr. Christie said in a statement after the release of the emails: “What I’ve seen today for the first time is unacceptable.” He said he had been “misled by a member of my staff,” and called the lane closures “completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct.” He added, “One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it, because the people of New Jersey deserve better.”

WSJ Link

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Classic Chicago politics. Use your power to punish your enemies and reward your friends. Unfortunately this is becoming the norm in the US.

4. treeman

treeman Member

And a big, fat "Who cares?" was murmured by everyone west and south of NY and NJ states...

I am NOT a Christie fan. I don't want the guy to run in 2016, or to win. But this... This is just stupid. Pathetic, really. If this is the best "scandal" someone at the DNC can come up with, the Dems have alot of work to do. This will not be an issue in 2016 if he is the nominee - at least, not on the same scale as Benghazi malfeasance or incompetence would be for a potential nominee who served as SoS.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Culture of corruption due to lack of oversight = best case scenario for Chris Christie.

Worst case: recall, impeachment, resignation. The east coast press smells blood in the water.

Meteoric fall.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

exactly. This is pretty pathetic. A traffic jam. Really?

1 person likes this.
  7. tallanvor

Way to hold politicians accountable.

You are okay with the governor using tax payer dollars to inconvenience constituents because their mayor didn't support him? Hold your politicians to a higher standard for the love of god.

1 person likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's save this for when the indictments start coming in - don't want to blow your "meh" too soon.

9. rudan

rudan Member

This guy has friends in high places :confused:

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Why would libruls conspire against Christie? In the overall battle of left and right wing extremes, Christie brings more weight (hehe) back to the center. He battles with the same idiots as libruls.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm curious but who are your sources?

It's way too early to say what the fallout of this scandal will be. Heads should roll for this but I'm going to wait to see more info until I say one of those heads should be Christie's.

12. tallanvor

'libruls' are not the center. There is also nothing virtuous about being in the center.

13. tallanvor

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Unless by virtue one means having a government that represents the interests of most citizens, yeah.

Interesting to see the far right go after this with more verve than the left.

I still don't think it sticks to him.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

And how many people were hurt or killed by this action ? . Not saying that Chiste had anything to do with it but how many.

16. tallanvor

what you advocate is a politician going against their morals in order to hold a more popular opinion. Say 'no' to group think Bob.

Also that's not what virtue means. if 99% of people believe something, that doesn't make it morally excellent.

#36 tallanvor, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The far left (and I see a lot of them ranting on facebook right about now) is working the calculus of 2016, seeing Christie rightly as the current best hope of an electable GOP candidate.

Overall, if that leaves someone more extreme as the eventual GOP candidate (such as, *shiver*, a poorly educated zealot like Rand Paul), I think that's *bad* for the country, in a big way.

We already had someone like Palin being up for vote to the 2nd highest office -- that's close enough to insanity for me.

18. Nook

Nook Member

"Becoming"???

LBJ, GWB, JFK and virtually every other high profile politician would like to have a word with you.

19. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

This is beyond stupid. EHRMAHGERD!!! A politician did something not totally in the best interests of his political enemies! Most of our greatest presidents would be unelectable today because we insist that officeholders be saints as well as statesmen. No wonder we get candidates like John Kerry and Mitt Romney to hold the office of Lincoln and Washington.

20. Classic

Classic Member

I'm feeling a little immune to caring about this after 4+ years of Eric Holder.