1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

What I have been saying for for the last one year. I agree that the earlier Lin parts, the better it will be for both parties. Lin simply does not fit the Rockets system as envisioned by Mac -- not that I think the Rockets system or Mac is good.

2. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

First of all, top 15 PG in NBA is not too shabby, since he was perceived as a scrub in the beginning.

Second, Lin is not good as a 6th man, because the 6th man is under pressure to try to score; Lin is not a shoot first PG; what makes him good is that he looks to make the best shot for the team, whether he passes to teammates or takes the shot himself. Not many PGs can pass, as well as score, on a given play.

As a Lin fan (not LOF though), I see him be able to break into a top ten PG group within 2 years, but I am skeptical that he can be top 5.

3. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

As a Lin fan, I even give Bev a slight edge on D, especially man to man D, and I truly hate Lin's over-helping on D. I do agree Bev does put more pressure on the opposing Guard. However, on offense, it's not even close. Lin's problem is he's inconsistent on D also; he does very good job for one game, but on next, he gives too much space. My point is that Mac probably hates this very inconsistency in Lin's game, although it is true that if Mac allows Lin to play through the inconsistencies, his team will win more often than not. I think D'Antoni type of coach is more offensive minded and is willing to allow ups and downs, but for some reason, Mac seems to hate it so much so that he rather have a consistent mediocre player lead Rockets rather than a talented PG. But like I said, that's his prerogative, in which case, I think it would be better for both parties to part quickly.

4. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

"I don't know if Lin will ever be a top-five point guard in the league," said the Eastern Conference executive, "but I could see him on the next level, from six to 10. And that's not a bad thing."

There are quotes from other Execs around the NBA who say the same thing about Lin, I'll take their views over yours. I dont think he is all-star caliber, but I do think he has the ceiling to reach given the circumstances.

5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I don't recall Asian fans complaining when Yao was riding the bench. So maybe it's not a race thing...

6. Razsan

Razsan Member

Seriously LOH's are going out of there way to incite and insert random opinions.
    MOST LOF's know he's not Chris Paul but know he's better than Pat Bev and could run the offense, if there actually WAS one, on the Rockets.

7. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Seriously, that's Beverley. Not Lin.:rolleyes:

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

Beverley never been better player than Jeremy, but he was better fit with starters. Nothing changed I think.

9. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Yup. Harden needs to hide behind Beverley until he learns/commits to play defense. Playing Harden alongside Beverley only enables his laziness on the defensive end but if it's fine with the coaches, teammates and fans, so be it.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yao was a true star with great consistency. Other than his sometimes inability to hold on the ball from pricky opposing midget pgs trying to steal the ball, he was universally loved by his undeniable bb skills.

Lin on the other hand is just an inconsistent, at times out of control player, playing in a position that demands player control. He shows flashes of greatness in a quarter followed by suckiness in the next.

11. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

There is no such thing as consistency from quarter to quarter. You may as well demand consistency from minute to minute. Lin has been the most consistent player on the team since the start of the season.

Everyone or every team goes through a bad stretch of minutes from time to time, coaches and star players are supposed to step in here and right the ship.

12. cw3k

cw3k Member

Beverley defense is overrated. The only reason why people say Beverley has great defense is because he has nothing else. What they are saying was Beverley defense is better than his offense. NOT his has great defense.

13. TheJet

TheJet Member

Bingo. I think McHale knows Harden needs (or wants) the ball a ton and can be turnover prone. However he has little choice but to stick with him as his primary option. So he already has one high ceiling but possibly wild play maker. I think that's a tougher pill to swallow than some might think, and he really doesn't want to have two players like that starting. Hence, Beverley.

14. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I think later in this season, this team will have trouble even getting into playoff if Beverley comes back and start for this team. What I saw is Harden plays much better when Lin is on the floor. Beverley cannot draw attention. Lin gets double team for Harden to gets more wide open shots.

15. mikster

mikster Rookie

I think you're more delusional then the LOF to be frank. In the right system I can see him easily being top 5-10pg. He's already averaging 15ppg shooting like 9-10apg. Guys like cp3 and curry average like 16-18 apg that's pretty much doubles what Lin takes a game..plus he has one of the highest TS% amongst all pg....so i can assume that if Lin average 16-18apg he can easily be a 20ppg+ player. During Linsanity stretch he was average like 7assist per game too like i said earlier in the right system. Im pretty sure in the current rocket system he aint never gonna be top 10 pg. I think its best for him and his career to find another team once his contract is due.

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

McHale probably wants a Dennis Johnson type (the ex-Celtic, not the Texans RB). Good defense, low-risk, solid.

17. TheJet

TheJet Member

That's what I think too. I don't know if I agree with McHale there, but so far it explains the patterns we've seen.

By the way, you just started the, "Dennis Johnson (RB) starting over Lin" rumor :grin:

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Not only is this stupid, but just untrue

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

In exactly what system would that be? True great PG's are great in any system you put them in. Stop making excuses. Lin being a top 5 point guard will happen when the Astro's go back to the world series, never.

My guess is you will continue making excuses regardless of how ridiculous they sound:(

20. timyeung

timyeung Member

Agreed. McHale likes low risk play, while Lin's style is high risk, aggressive basketball. That's also why McHale keeps Lin on a short leash. In fact, this is what Lin just said in praise of D'Antoni. It seems to be the opposite of what he gets from McHale:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles...cusses-marshall-matters?ex_cid=espnapi_public

1 person likes this.