1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Thank God. Those Deng to Houston proposals were never really plausible.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Miller is older than a dinosaur fossil. Smh...

3. valorita

valorita Member

Cavs going win now mode, may want asik to solidify team. So verajao and waiters for asik and greg smith

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't know why so many people think the Cavs have to trade Waiters. Sure, he got into it with Kyrie "Sacred Cow" Irving and Tristan Thompson (he said they played "buddy-ball"), but the Cavs won't move Waiters for so little. Especially given Irving's lack of durability.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How the hell does that help them win now. Varejao might even be a better all around player than Asik its just that he's very injury prone.

Greg Smith helps them how????... he's not beating out Zeller, Thompson, Asik or Varejao for minutes.

The Cavs need perimeter playmaking. Waiters is a player they would love to move, but not for nothing. They'd still have a lack of perimeter scoring they would need to address at some point.

Jeremy Lin to the Cavs for a poo poo platter (maybe Gee & Waiters) for Lin would be the closest thing I could see happening. Someone who can give them a scoring punch either next to Irving or off the bench.

6. dobro1229

Ok so the whole Deng trade sort of changed my outlook on what might very well happen with this whole Melodrama situation about to unfold in New York... again.

-Knowing Les Alexander, I have no doubt in my mind that he might have picked up the phone and asked Morey about his thoughts on Melo. Depending on how that conversation went, there are actually trades available that can help bring Melo to Houston... mostly because of these things-

-Houston has the large contracts needed to make this deal happen with Asik & Lin
    -Houston has draft picks to offset what NY has lost of the years
    -Houston can help provide financial relief by moving Chandler to a 3rd team for another asset in return
    -Houston can still keep NY competitive next year

A deal like this could actually make sense-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mtd2dx5

......................................................................................................
    Houston out- Asik, Lin, 2014 first round pick to NYK, 2016 first round pick to NOLA (for taking on Felton's salary)
    Houston Gets - Carmelo Anthony

NYK out- Melo, Felton
    NYK In- Eric Gordon, Lin, Asik, Hou 2014 first rounder

NOLA out- Gordon
    NOLA In- Chandler, Felton, Hou 2016 first rounder
    ........................................................................................................

Why NYK do this-
    -the Knicks would be able to almost completely clear their cap past next season to only 25 million guaranteed in 2015/16
    -They Knicks would be able to gain assets, and stay competitive in the meantime
    -in making this move, next years salaries go from 91+ (depending on if they resigned Melo) to 81 saving them not just 10 mil+ in salary but a ton in luxury repeater tax.
    -Obviously assuming the Knicks like Eric Gordon and aren't scared off by injury woes (the main assumption)
    .....................................................................................................

Why NOLA does this-

-Much needed rim protection, defense, & veteran leadership
    -Good draft pick for taking back Felton who can still be a decent backup
    -moving out Gordon to make room for Reke Evans

.......................................................................................................

Houston - its a legit 3rd superstar, and one that can play both the 3/4 spot. If he buys into the team concept, the Rockets would be pretty damn good.

7. basketballholic

^^^^

It's refreshing to see somebody change their mind. Everything you posted here is legit. If Melo drama unfolds around Feb. 19th, Morey is going to be a primary player unless he has already found a deal for Asik and Lin he likes better.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Bottom line Is, melo wants 5 years 130 million THE SUPER MAX.

Do we really want to be capped out for the next 3-5 years

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've wanted nothing to do with Carmelo Anthony up until this point, but I could potentially live with dobro's proposal.

I'd still prefer a "safer" team-first player along the lines of a Deng or Millsap. Unfortunately, Deng was dealt and Millsap appears likely to stay in Atlanta. So I guess now is the type to start considering the potentially nuclear wild cards like Melo and Rondo. If we're REALLY going to shake things up, that is.

10. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

You have to give up parsons for melo

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

IMO, we don't need another star just help on the bench, Asik, Brewer for Gibson, Dunleavy + a pick.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And your self-respect.

Seriously, though, Melo has "I won't do nothin for you until you trade me to a bigger market" written all over him.

And I'm trying to picture him with Harden, how they'll yell at one another: "The ball's getting sticky! Pass it to me!"

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I like this trade for all the teams. Good job

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

One thing we do know is that Morey is about acquiring talent first and foremost over fit with the team. Melo would be a huge risk/reward trade. But I suppose if it doesn't work through next season, you could let him walk and still have max (or near max) room to sign someone else. I highly doubt the Knicks ship him out this year though. If they do it will be next summer or trade deadline.

I wonder what Harden's relationship is like with 'Melo aftering playing for Team USA together.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is a good point if you somehow move Lin and Asik for Melo and he walks there's other players to go after or just sign some guys on one year deals and try again in 2015. However the Parsons contract just complicates this approach and makes it more likely you go all in this year with a Lin and Asik trade.

16. dobro1229

Capped out??... Not sure what you mean by that. The Rockets are going to have 35 to 40 million on their books the next 3 seasons at least which wont really give them any significant cap space to make a run at a max free agent after next year. If they really are serious about competing with the likes of the Heat and others with a super-team they will have both this year and next as their last chances to make that run at another big name before they have to either extend Parsons to a sizable contract, and/or add other key pieces next to Dwight/Harden which WILL cost them a ton of money either way.

-With a superstar I think you might actually be surprised at how much more flexible financially for future trades you are than if you pieced together a Battier here, or a Dunleavely Jr. there all on 5 - 10 mil dollar contracts(which can be the toughest to move). Those deals might actually be harder to move than a superstar... unless that superstar breaks down physically which is worst case scenario.

As for depleting assets- If you look at what the Rockets would give up to get Melo, what would you really be giving up.... Asik (a player you NEED to dump anyways ASAP), Lin who might not have much value anywhere else other than NYK & might be moved for peanuts in the future anyways, and 2 draft picks in years where in theory your team should be in the playoffs regardless.

Would giving Melo the max be a mistake in 3 years.... maybe... but its a risk that a GM and owner like Les have to look at taking. If the team goes in the Sh$%er like the Knicks, Nets, and last years Lakers team you always have the ultimate get-out-of-Jail free card which is to trade one or both of Harden & Howard which will absolutely retain value in the next 3 years (Howard with the relatively short length & Harden with him being under-paid).

-Just to be clear, I'm not 100% sold on Melo and I dont necessarily think the Rockets have the assets to obtain him unless GM's around the league are as down on Melo as fans & the media seem to be lately. However, I am an advocate for at the very least entertaining the possibility of exploring trades if I'm Morey & Les.

(Also if my calculations are correct, I would project with Howard, Melo, Harden, Parsons, Jones, D-Mo, & 9 min salary slots, the Rockets would be somewhere between 68 and 72 million in salary which isn't anywhere near the Nets, Knicks, or even Miami... The Celtics this year would be carrying more salary than next year's Rockets team would.)

#2596 dobro1229, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  17. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Having Melo and Harden on the same team is a bad idea defensively. Probably a bad idea on offense as well. Think the ball sticks a lot right now, it would get a lot worse

18. dobro1229

Legit is a strong word. I think it all comes down to the value of Asik & Lin here in the next 30 days or so & whether or not NY actually wants to do something as dumb as keep Melo and not rebuild.

Just a ton of assumptions to make in any deal involving Lin and Asik much less involving the words Melo & Trade together in one sentence which complicates everything on its own.

Still, its fun to break in down to see how its actually possible. Melo's reputation has taken a nose-dive in the media and with fans as of lately. Not sure if GM's still value him as a true superstar or a over-glorified version of Rudy Gay.

If Morey is one of those GM's that actually views him as great of a player as he did when he tried to trade for him last time... watch out NBA.... You will be receiving a phone call in 3..2...1.....

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have advocated a similar deal in the past. I like the idea of Melo off the bench and being able to scale back the heavy usage by turning:

Harden (40 minutes) / Parsons (40 minutes) / Casspi (10 minutes)

into

Harden (30 minutes) / Parsons (30 minutes / Melo (30 minutes)

The thing is I don't know if I can justify giving Melo 5 years.

If he would not opt out and we got him for 1.5 years, I would be all over that.

If he would opt out and sign a 3 year deal, I would be all over that.

4 or 5 years is such a long time for a 30 year old.

20. cw3k

cw3k Member

You sound like Asik and Lin are both garbage and if that is the case, why would anyone want them? The reason why Asik is still not moved is because the management ask the world for Asik, who himself has demanded to trade and quite unhappy. If you are the GM of another team, why would you pay a premium when the fair market value is at a discount?

As for Lin, how many PG that play off the ball has better stat than Lin? The are many reason why Rocket would not move like. For 1, Lin is Harden's backup. Despite McHale short leasing Lin, he is very valuable until Rocket acquire a backup for Harden. Second, the issue with Lin's contract. Rockets get 2 cheap years out of it and no team will trade 15m value Rocket for Lin, which at the same time, have to pay Lin the balloon payment. The only way to get this work is Lin trade as a 8.3m like his cap and Rockets add cash and/picks for it.

Basketball fans prefer basketball than Heroball. Rockets was run to watch in the 1st half of 2012-2013 season now it is terrible to watch because every possession is heroball. Shoot the 3 or flop for a FT. Disgusting.