1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets, in need of roster spots, are on the clock with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2014.

1. basketballholic

boom daddy.

I just don't see it with Dunleavy for this year. While he's a good, intelligent player and a fit here on the floor, his $3+ million salary on the books for next season is an impediment. Cap space flexibility is an extremely important asset for this summer.

So if you like Dunleavy then you should like Brandon Rush...maybe even more...because he has a better contract situation....and he's a better defender than Dunleavy. Yes, it would require something more than Brewer and Smith. But you can create a synergy at the deadline (if a trade/trades is indeed in place for Asik and Lin) to bring in Rush as part of the incoming salary package.

A trade for Dunleavy at this point for essentially expiring/non-guaranteed deals would send the signal to me that Morey is not planning to be a major player in 2014 free agency.

Which brings me to 2014 free agency:

Why.are.we.overlooking.2014.free.agency?

Here's the list guys:

Andrei Kirilenko (P)
    Paul Pierce
    Luol Deng
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Danny Granger
    Pau Gasol
    Zach Randolph (P)
    Bosh
    Lebron
    Melo
    Tim Duncan

Guys, this is a list of players that will be or could be unrestricted free agents in a few months. Not to mention restricted players like Greg Monroe and Gordon Hayward.

Do you think for one moment that Morey doesn't want a shot at one of these guys to walk here???????

Look at the list. What IF the Spurs blow it up and Duncan decides to opt out? Dirk is going to be free. He's already said hes' going to take a small contract to entice free agents to come to Dallas. What if Dallas can't get anybody interested? And what if Morey is standing there with $20 million of cap space and can offer Dirk $20 million guaranteed for one season with a 2nd season partially guaranteed??? Do you think Dirk may be interested?????

Not to mention the Miami scenario.

Are you kidding me??

I'm telling you if Morey can dissolve both Asik and Lin into expiring contracts and draft picks....he's gonna do it. Asik isn't helping us now. If we don't move him at the deadline, he could potentially really be a problem here. And the truth is Lin is very, very replaceable. Guys, Morey is trying to acquire another superstar. He's going to try to get that guy at the deadline and if he can't do that he's going to try to liquidate Asik and Lin into expiring deals and picks to be able to play 2014 free agency.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nice work, Clutch.

I think two things are obvious here: 1) Brewer will likely never play meaningful minutes with this squad since he doesn't fit the 3&D formula, and 2) As others have already mentioned: he's useful as a trading chip.

The latter, of course, being most important.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Bulls would gladly give up Dunleavy. The real issue is would the Rockets give up a #1? Multiple #2's?

The Bulls already jettisoned Deng and they would gladly move everyone else on that team other than Derrick Rose in an effort to clear cap space and collect assets.

Dunleavy would really help the Rockets backing up Harden and playing the minutes used by Garcia. However, do you want to give up future considerations for him?

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dunleavy has little trade value. If the Bulls benefit from a Dunleavy trade it'd be from expiring or unguaranteed contracts in return. That'd be an extra 3.3M of cap space for next year.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Supposedly we are in win now mode. That's gotta be the only excuse to justify Garcia over some youth that would've been brought in.

6. j3i

j3i Member

I don't think we have any young 3's that we can put in over Garcia. Unless you want to count Covington?

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I have a strong feeling somebody is going to snap up Daniels before we're able to clear any roster space.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yeah but we could have in the offseason and their are better shooters in the D-league, why not try to develop one of them. Can Covington shoot, I know nothing about him,lol.

9. jocar

jocar Member

You beat me to it!
    There were several games we had a slim leads and needed to lockdown on D, but Mchale never utilized Brewer. He only gets burn during trash time during which he jacks up ugly treys. I'd rather use that spot to bring up Daniels for a bench spark when Lin, AB, Casspi, Garcia aren't clicking (which is way too often).

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Asik, Brewer for Gibson, Dunleavy + a pick anyone?

11. yostros99

yostros99 Member

Not sure Bulls would do that. Seem to be in "tank" mode right now, and won't deal a pick.

I do think Rockets may make a slight move today, especially with DMo rumors from yesterday.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

True, I meant to put a pick with Asik, Brewer instead of Dunleavy, Gibson though, my bad. I like this trade because we need a better shooter off the bench and a back up center.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think the Bulls would be interested in Asik. If they were trading Gibson, it would likely be to create cap room in the summer. Asik's deal goes through next year and the Bulls wouldn't be able to combine him with other contracts before the February trade deadline (like they would be able to with Gibson) in a trade for an expiring this year.

In fact, I think this is the exact reason the Rockets will guarantee Brewer's deal if they can't find a trade today. If they waive Brewer, any player they sign in his place can't be traded in a deal before the deadline, while keeping Brewer would give the Rockets a $1.2M expiring to combine with Asik, if needed.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Lots of if's, and's, and but's in that list.

I'm not convinced we can just unload Asik and Lin, and there is no cap value (at least for getting a 3rd star) to just getting rid of one of them.

Of the ones you listed, I'm only interested in Nowitzki, Bosh, Lebron, and Melo. We cannot open up enough cap room for any of their max contracts, so they would have to take significant discounts. The only one I think would do it is Nowitzki.

So IMO, its Nowitzki in 2014 or Love/Aldridge in 2015, at that's assuming that Nowitzki is willing to leave Dallas.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ahhh, I gotcha, makes sense. It would be nice if we could find a third team with an expiring contract in need of a young defensive center. Gibson and Dunleavy would be pretty awesome off the bench.

16. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I'm not sure that I would want Melo on this team but I know that he wants to go to Chicago or the Clippers. Maybe we could do a three team trade where we get Shumpert and Dunleavy and the Bulls get Melo.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Fixed* :)

18. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Maybe Chicago waives Bynum, amnesties Boozer

Rockets get: Chandler, Dunleavy, and Shumpert
    Knicks get: D-Mo, Lin, Smith, and Brewer
    Bulls get: Asik and Melo
    You would probably have to throw in some draft picks going somewhere but financially it could work.

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

I think the Rockets would only pursue another backup C like Kaman if they don't think Asik will contribute to the team at all and they have no confidence in Marcus Camby providing solid minutes off the bench.

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think so.
    Morey will not hurry up to do trades,the team needs time to grow and progress.
    It's not too difficult to trade Asik for expiring contracts and draft picks
    but it's not easy to trade Lin for expiring contracts and draft picks because every team has good pg