1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater or Bust

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In general I think this post is dead on.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Spot on OMR.

It's interesting that BOB wants to groom his QB for a little, while we give a veteran a chance at the helm for the first year or so.

With the current cap constraints I'd like to see who they come up with as vet QBs for cheap.... Vick, Henne, McCown?

3. justtxyank

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Matt Cassel signing. I then expect them to take the Kurt Warner/Eli approach.

The vet has the job, but could lose it at any moment to the rookie.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Look I agree, trust me, but taking a QB #1 wont make him good. If a surefire guy isn't there you have to pass. And I'm not saying Bridgewater is not that guy. But if we reach just because QB is important there's a chance we wind up with a Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Young, etc... none of those guys looked like they'd make solid pros but teams reached, because they felt they had to.

Just because QB is important doesn't mean get tunnel vision.

Also, if Flacco (in his current form) was available in this draft he wouldn't be drafted #1 or #2.

5. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Quarterback is the only position that you gamble on with a number one pick.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I could definitely see that happening, especially since Cassel is familiar with the system BOB runs.

Didn't see him on the list of FA at first but on a different site it does show him and Freeman being available from the Vikings roster.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

When did O'Brien say he wanted a veteran QB in here?

8. justtxyank

McNair said it.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I like Charlie Strong already:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Strong says <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> should take Teddy Bridgewater number 1 overall.</p>&mdash; Alex Dunlap (@AlexDunlapNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexDunlapNFL/statuses/420247930180624384">January 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^

lol you don't say

11. Major

Major Member

No one is saying you reach - the guy has to has to have reasonable franchise QB potential. But there are no "surefire" guys. Not even Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck - many people thought Ryan Leaf and RG3 would be better than them. They had their doubters in general as well. The guys that are going to available at the middle/bottom of the first round are the guys like Ponder or Locker - who might pan out but generally don't. Guys who most people think will be great don't get that far.

12. juliansever00

juliansever00 Member

too early call robert a bust, he had an amazing rookie season, and a so, so sophmore season like cam

13. Remii

Remii Member

Good point... But the major point you overlook is that out of the 4 QBs that played this weekend _ only one of them were drafted with the #1 overall pick and that was Luck... Brees and Kapernick were drafted in the 2nd round, Foles in the 3rd round, and Rodgers was drafted at the back of the 1st round. Luck and Cam are the only #1 picks at QB that are playing in the playoffs on the team that drafted them.

Is Teddy Bridgewater in Andrew Luck's class...? And that may not even matter because you don't have to have a GREAT QB to win a super bowl _ see Flaco, Eli, and Big Ben... Do you think Teddy will be good or GREAT...? Because if he's just going to be good _ than why take him (or Johnny) with the #1 overall pick...

14. Remii

Remii Member

Luck was considered Surefire... I know it was talk about RG3 _ but he was already getting banged up in college and Teddy has an RG3 build... Payton had the can't win the big game tag coming out of college.

But I agree _ usually the QB who everyone thinks is the best isn't... Look at Alex Smith who was taking with the #1 overall pick and Rodgers was drafted with the #24 pick... Look at RG3 who was taken with #2 pick and Foles and Russell where taking in the 3rd round. And of the last 14 QBs drafted with the #1 overall pick going back to 1990 only 2 of them have rings...

15. platypus

platypus Member

There are go GREAT QB's in the playoffs besides Peyton, Brady, and (maybe) Brees. The rest of the bunch are GOOD quarterbacks that have the potential to become GREAT.

But back on your point. If a GOOD QB can take me to the super bowl and I have the ability to draft him then I am gonna draft him. There is literally no other position than the QB that can turn around a team.

16. Major

Major Member

That's only because 1 QB is considered the best and about 7-10 are not. So yes, the odds are that one of the other 7 will turn out better. But the problem is that your alternative is not to get all 7 and see which pans out - it's to take the one that's the best or take one of the other 7, and hope he turns out to be the exception instead of one of the 6 sucky ones.

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I'm all in favor of being a homer when necessary...but this statement is false....The Chiefs are better than us at every position on the field except for WR, and that may be closer than we want to realize.

I'm not saying we suck, cause we don't, but the Chiefs on paper have one of the better rosters in the NFL.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This.

It's the same reason why there are more undrafted players in the NFL than there are first round picks. Because teams usually only have one first round pick and then they go out and sign 20 undrafted free agents every year. If 2 of them make the team, well then they have twice as many undrafted rookies on the teams than they do first round rookies. Does that mean that teams should skip the first round and try to find more answers via undrafted free agents? Hell no.

The first QB taken is still going to end up being the best more often than the #2 QB taken, or the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. You can't say "well the first QB taken usually isn't the best so we should wait" because if you pass and end up with the 4th or 5th QB taken, the odds of them ending up the best are even lower. Like Major said, that argument only works if you can take ALL the QBs aside from the one who is taken first.

#1478 Cannonball, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Whoa .. that solidifies it .. was sure he'd go bortle

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Ugh. Big fat no to Matt Cassel. That guy is a turnover machine.

I'd rather see if Josh Mccown would take a pretty cheap deal to play closer to home and have a chance to start for at least a year.

This is the new UT coach saying that (former Louisville coach), not O'brien. Of course he's going to support his former QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.