1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Knicks @ Rockets 1/3/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This "explanation" does not change my opinion, nor am I going to apologize for fundamentally disagreeing with you. *shrug*

2. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I can see you continue to misunderstand what I am saying . BTW take a look at the data just presented on a thread posted today and integrated with what I am saying. It supports my thesis of a hidden agenda regarding Lin. The thread is" Rocket stats 1/1/2014." McHale's explainations don't make much sense in view of this data.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is a basketball forum, no one cares what you think McHale's hidden agenda is.

4. KlutchQT

Gene, I do understand what you're saying -- and it's precisely my point. You said you felt McHale owed fans an explanation for not putting Lin back in the game. Although I disagree that he owes fans anything, I simply said that he had provided such an explanation, but that it was one you chose not to believe. I personally don't believe there is a hidden agenda, but you are within your right to believe there is... I'm not arguing you on that at all. I'm simply saying that given your belief that there is a hidden agenda, there likely isn't anything McHale could say to make you feel differently. That's all.

1 person likes this.
  5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Once again, the Harden is a superstar and gets special treatment argument. Lame as the eye test one people love to use.

Bottom line is that McHales rationale for keeping in those guys should apply to all players regardless of superstar status according to his own words...

6. bws

bws Member

I think the Harden is a superstar and Lin isn't is a cop out rationale. Lin stepping it up and providing the energy, plays and buckets in the 4th is what it is. Lin is not along the lines of Beverley, Brooks, Casspi, Garcia or even Jones. He is a 2nd tier player along with Parsons, one of the best players on the team below the 2 superstars who has performed for the Rockets over and over in the clutch and full games backing up Harden or in Harden's absence. He should be treated like Parsons and Parsons gets his minutes because he doesn't have suitable backups where at times Bev or Brooks can get the job done.

7. CCM721

CCM721 Member

If you think Lin is anywhere near the same caliber of player as Harden then I don't know what to tell you. Doesn't matter what kind of test you use to make that distinction, Harden will come out on top every single time.

Stars get special treatment in the NBA, you may not agree with it but it happens.

8. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Let's be more accurate here. Harden is arguably a super star on offense but unquestionably a scrub on defense. In crucial situations, I would be all for substituting Harden when Rockets is defending but bringing in Harden when Rockets has the ball.

9. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Mac is simply a bad coach when it comes to making adjustments. It would be foolish to look for a reason why Mac does this or that. For all I know, there is no reason at all why he would want to over-play Harden and Parsons. Rockets will suffer for this over-playing them in playoffs.

10. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I don't think there is much doubt that there is a hidden agenda in the sense that McHale isn't going to tell the public all the factors going into sitting a player. He clearly has some 'go to' responses to use in those cases. But why should he tell us? I'd have a problem if he didn't tell the player, but how would I ever know?

Trying to read the tea leaves on some decisions becomes an ever expanding load of guesses piled on pet theories piled on educated guesses. Even if you are right, 99.9% of the time you'll never know you were.

11. KlutchQT

12. KlutchQT

I agree with you on that point. I appreciate explanations regarding coaching decisions when they're offered, but I don't feel they are owed to me. I'd love a logical explanation from McHale as to why AB is pushed totally out of the rotation when both Lin and Bev are healthy, but I doubt I'll ever get one. I'm sure personal affinity for certain players is a factor in decision-making, but it's not something any coach is ever going to come out and say.

13. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Sorry if this was posted. I was away from this game thread since the game ended. From Tina Wang.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RrEJ8a6l0fI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Harden is a lazy defender, not a bad defender, you substitute bad defenders, but the lazy defenders seem to be able to find themselves at crucial moments.

15. Apache

Apache Member

Coaches talked: man, we cut this guy name Jeremy Lin and he went Linsanity and now he's back being our starting pg, ...we said he is no good and nobody believe us, .. annoying, lol..

16. Apache

Apache Member

harden a lazy defender? so the coaches is not doing their job to get the laziness out of harden yet all this time? lol

17. RRockets

RRockets Member

I cannot tell if it is Harden's lazyness or not for the fact that sometimes he is the weak(er, est ?) link of the team in terms of defense. But it is obvious that he puts more efforts on scoring than defending. SG mentality?

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Either he is injured, really tired or he's lazy. So he needs either rest and heal up or get motivated. All those things can be done by the Coach.

19. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

Lin is the only player which sometimes benched for playing well. I say his benching is 50/50 no matter how he plays.

20. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

kind of fun to see him bench , hahaha.