1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Austin really that much hipper than Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ILoveWhiteGirls, Jan 5, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are you think of moving or starting a city flame war thread?

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

what? it sounds like you havent really been to austin because what you are saying is the exact opposite from what ive encountered. nobody there gives a **** where youre from and every native ive met actually would prefer people NOT moving there

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i got robbed on east oltorf.

i witnessed a murder in clarksville.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

women are less fat in austin

1 person likes this.
  5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Austin...meh. I love that area though, because of what's down HW 71 (west). That area is awesome. Beautiful, so much fun stuff to do.

Saying that, trying to relocate to Austin in a month from the armpit of East Texas. Though job search so far hasn't been too promising, and I feel that I'll probably be down in Houston instead.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I've only been to Austin 3-4 times and usually been to altered to judge it properly while I was there...but for those who are commenting on anything about Houston, please know that it has changed considerably even in the last 5-10 years compared to what it was before.

Anyone trying to ascribe anything to Houston, even if they have firsthand experience in the past year, sounds to me like they don't have a complete grasp of whatever "scene" they are attempting to encapsulate. This city is freaking huge. There are pockets of every little thing everywhere. If I had to make one blanket comment about each little demographic here in comparison to similar demographics in other cities, I would say that people here are more low-key. The hipsters are more low-key than other hipsters, the midtown/Washington Ave clubbers are more low-key than other clubbers, and the stuffy upward-seeking bourgeois are also just a bit more accessible than the bourgeois of other cities. By low-key I mean friendlier, less exclusive, probably crappier if you were to juxtapose the two...and more chubby. It's funny, people can agree or disagree with me on this, but everywhere I see anybody out and about in the city, it's just more OK here to be fat in whatever it is you're doing. Fat hipsters are pretty much the norm. I don't find anything wrong with this, although I'm skinny myself. It's just another blanket observation I wanted to throw out there.

None of this I am using in a manner to qualify Houston as good or bad. I'm just making my own observations.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Of course Austin is hipper. People don't wear shoes there.

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I live in Austin. It's okay, but Austin's not nearly as cool as Austin thinks it is, which is part of the problem I have with Austin in general. But I don't hate it.

I'll get back to Houston within the next year or two. I'm looking forward to that day.

Damn good BBQ, though. I'll miss that.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I just like Austin better because crime is lower and there is a clear downtown and center of the city. Also, everything is just closer for me in Austin than it ever was in Houston. Houston is just a massive sprawling city and I don't really prefer that. Traffic is stupid now in Austin and I don't know what the city/county is going to be able to do about it, but I still just like the town.

Yeah some people go a little over the top about Austin, but it's just a good town and I like the way the city has been planned and developed for the most part.

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

BINGO! Mt friend grew up and alief and has never ventured out. He went to the Marines, came back, and talked about how much he hate Houston but he couldn't tell you how to get to DT or anywhere inside the loop

12. NateNate

NateNate Member

All these fake hipsters. A REAL hipster is at heart! F you consumers clutchfans... i don't subscribe to all your mainstream ideologies :)

13. hairyme

hairyme Member

I hate going to shows in Austin.

Here's how it usually happens:

At first, I'll get to the venue and see a larger crowd than what I expected and think, "Huh, I guess Austin is hipper?" But then I look around and half the crowd consists of early-30s yuppies and mid-20s post-college fratboys and club/bar-hopping girls on their night out ("Wooooo!") and... Oh, and then I spot some actual fans of whatever indie band is playing that night.

So the band starts playing and all I can hear are douches talking/yelling to each other accented by the *clink* of beer bottles all while the girls are going "Woooooo!". Naturally, they'll stand in front of the stage because that's just the thing to do (i.e. "Live music! Yeah bro!") and all I can do is scream...

SHUUUUUUUT. UUUUUUUUUUUP.

Except, I don't actually scream that--rather, I think it in my head (because I'm a p***y) while I wish to the heavens that the show was happening in Houston where the venues generally don't draw as much of a bar-hopping crowd who just expect bands to be playing background music (hopefully involving Journey covers) wherever they go.

And this is why I hate Austin.

(Also, not near as cosmopolitan and diverse as Houston!)

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's a 20 mile commute on a toll road. That's the issue with Houston. There is cool stuff in places but it's not through out the whole city. That's also the deal with traffic in Austin. It's slow but it's a small city.

You don't have to drive an hour to get to the water. It's 5 minutes away. You don't have to drive 30 minutes to get to cool bars. It's 10 minutes away. Austin has a ton of cool places that people want to be and they are concentrated.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Would love to move back to Austin someday.

Cheap cost of living
    Incredible nightlife
    Hot ass everywhere
    Hill country
    BBQ
    Tex-Mex

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Fixed. Austin is expensive to live in now. Maybe in 5 years after they overbuild then the cost of living will be cheap again, but not now.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Go to Strange Brew off Manchaca. They have tons of musicians that come thru and they don't allow talking during the performances. It's a cool little place.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

f***ing christopher cross played there...SUCK IT H-TOWN!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ur8ftRFb2Ac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

As a college student with no cars, I actually didn't mind riding the bus/public transport to get to where I need to in Austin. Can't say the same for Houston. That was in the early 2000's, don't know how it is right now.

20. blink

blink Contributing Member

I live in austin but grew up in houston. I'd say the traffic is worse in austin since you only have two freeways and it gets congested for no damn reason. Houston traffic is terrible too but at least you have way around it.

Austin also seems to have more tree hugging hippies than houston... they banned plastic bags in groceries stores. I have like 10 reusable bags because I always forget mine at home and have to buy a new one.