1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Dec 31, 2013.

?

Do you like the hire of Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2014.
  1. Yes

82.6%
  2. No

3.8%
  3. Undecided

13.6%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, because there are 37 heads in the picture. I love odd numbers.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Oh wow! That was a damn good question. While I wished that McNair had waited and interviewed Pete Carmichael (NO Offensive Coodinator) & Greg Roman (SF Offensive Coordinator) from what I have read about BOB, he's the real deal and this is a sound hire. It's a million percent better in Houston right now that the ongoing fubar circus going on up here with Jerry Jones and the Cows.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I did hear a soundbite on the radio today from McNair, presumably from after the press conference, that if they couldn't find somebody that they liked that filled their criteria that they would've looked at coordinators. They weren't committed to picking somebody that fit the criteria not matter what and they weren't unwilling to look at coordinators. But they had their preferences and they found somebody they felt really good about that fit their preferences so that didn't need to look further.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

One of the things I heard up here on ESPN 103.3 FM was that Bill Belichick tells his guys to ALWAYS look at the ownership first when considering a head coaching position. That's what made the Texans' HC vacancy so attractive. McNair is NOT little Danny Snyder or Jerry Jones channeling Al Davis from the great beyond. He'll give BOB the time and resources to get this thing right and at this point, that's all we can ask.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

BTW, Bob is still paying Kubiak and his staff their contracts and a $6.5+ million buyout of O'Brien's deal with Penn State in addition to salaries for the new staff. Can we stop calling him cheap?

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ha I don't even.

7. Sman2k10

Sman2k10 Member

Romeo Crennel a possible DC choice for texans

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Here its your answer:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...en-quarterback-very-very-important-for-texans

Bill O'Brien says QB is important to Houston Texans

By Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Jan. 3, 2014 at 01:42 p.m. Updated: Jan. 3, 2014 at 08:10 p.m.

Bill O'Brien was introduced Friday as the third head coach in Houston Texans history. O'Brien inherits a team coming off a 2-14 season, but also in possession of legitimate talent on both sides of the ball.

Of course, not all is well on the Texans' 53-man roster. Houston has a very real quarterback problem, one the team will likely attempt to solve with the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

O'Brien knows locating and grooming a franchise quarterback might ultimately define his tenure in Houston. He was asked if quarterback was his top priority on Friday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."

"Well, quarterback is certainly a priority on any football team," O'Brien told Amber Theoharis. "I think in this league, in many ways it's a quarterback-driven league.

"So we're going to evaluate this football team, evaluate every position, including the quarterback position, and we're going to make the best decision for the football team," O'Brien added. "And the quarterback is a very, very important part of this football team."

Let's translate out of CoachSpeak®: "You're insane if you think I left Penn State to jump aboard the Matt Schaub Pick Six Express. Yes, quarterback is obviously our No. 1 priority -- and, yes, I am fully aware I will be fired in two years if we don't hit on this pick. Other than that, I FEEL NO PRESSURE."

Welcome to the NFL, Bill.

-------------------------------------

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FWIW, Schefter just reported that James Franklin had interviewed with the Texans. They were apparently very impressed. Just thought that was interesting.

Move along...

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Was he one of the secret HC interviews or was he interviewing for a job on O'Brien's staff? He was considered a candidate to take over Penn State.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Guess he was one of the secret interviews. It was clear that Schefter said it was for HC.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. egr281

egr281 Member

Idk if BOB will work out or not but i have to say i am excited so far he seems like the perfect personality to put in with guys like watt and cush. The times of "aww shucks those guys are battling and fighting" are finally over and for that im grateful, the time of accountability is upon us!!!

14. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Omg thats funny! I had tears, good stuff there platypus.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

stop quoting the picture. it is massive.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

The dimple? I know!

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

At least we got a part of Bill Cowher!

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Removed

#320 J.R., Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014