1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thing is that the data doesn't even support this idea that Lin is some super defender. Thomas stole his lunch and ate it in the second half. It was Jones, Parsons, and Howard who covered up Lin's errors in the first half.

What does it matter if Thomas had an 0-4 stretch when it was last second blocks from Jones and Howard that resulted in the miss? And Lin was not funneling Thomas, Thomas just blew by him. All you have to do is go to the box score at nba.com and click on the field goal attempts for each player to see how the Rox D failed. You can witness how Lin and Harden get abused and whether an interior defender bailed them out.

These folks are cherry picking numbers and totally ignore the data that runs counter to their hero worship.

At base level, I agree that this team had team defense and rotation problems that exacerbate individual defensive deficiencies.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

And we are right back where we started lol.

Always someone else's fault.

3. bws

bws Member

The poster said Lin was not utilized right so another coach is another option to trading Lin. Trade player or change coach and see how Lin (and others) are utilized. I don't know what fault you're talking about but that's typical of your type of posting.

4. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

This whole "DEFENSE" debate is senseless. Defense in team basketball is always about TEAM defense. There's no such thing as single-person defense because: A) Fouls; B) Can't prevent the assist; C) Picks/screens.

Good offense always beats good defense because of A, B and C.

Those who look at FG attempts or even points to measure the opposing team's player-in-same-position's-defensive-abilities don't get NBA defense under the current rules.

SOMEONE WILL SHOOT AND SOMEONE WILL SCORE. What, do you want, 0 FG? "Wow, the whole team shot zero times! Now that's defense!"

Good defense comes from the coaches in practice and the players' work ethic on the court. It only takes one player to slack momentarily for the team-defense to fail on any given possession. But again, good offense will always beat good defense because of A, B, C.

5. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Okay, I'm not one to typically agree with larvs8 but at this point, we're going to see a coaching change as significant to trading Lin? At what point do we stop? I've seen it all in this thread, it's one big soap opera. The fact of the matter is, our bench is rubbish. Lin coming off the pine helps us win games. If Lin gets the same burn that he's getting now, +/- 3 or 4 minutes, then what are we losing here? Recognition? Pride? I don't get it.

6. larsv8

Yes, one LOF 1 claims Lin isn't being used correctly, offers no reasons why or how, just a blanket statement that it is happening. I mean, its not like he has played both in the starting lineup and off the bench, with any assortment of players for 30 minutes a game, getting 12 shots a game and posting career highs. Nope, that is not happening.

LOF 2 agrees and suggests just scratching our entire system and coach, all together, in hopes of "seeing where Lin's potential takes us". How about no? How about we scrap Lin and get the right players around Harden and Howard and see were their potential takes us?

Lin is a role player. He is here to play a role in a Harden and Howard centered offense. That is the way it is and that is the way it will always be.

7. bws

bws Member

Maybe Lin should play from the bench. And you're right, it's more about minutes. I would like to see Lin play more with Howard, whether it is from the bench or starting, I don't care. I don't like any idea of trading Lin. If I were a "LOF" I'd say screw the Rockets, let Lin go somewhere else, and I'll follow him there. This is a very good group of guys, Parsons, Harden and Lin as 25 and a 24 year old and they have great potential to do really good things. But Lin is a really big part of that. Then add in Jones. I just don't believe in McHale long-term and I think ultimately, this team won't reach its potential with him as head coach whether you trade Lin or not.

8. bws

bws Member

People can debate who Lin is as a player. He isn't who YOU say he is. Get off of your high horse, you're giving your opinion and that's all you're doing. And you're labeling of people is just that: lame labeling.

9. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

NBA Defense is all about Team-Defense because 1) Fouls, 2) Assists, 3) Picks/Screens.

To look at an opposing player's FG and points as a judge of a defender is not accurate because SOMEONE IS GOING TO SHOOT AND SCORE. What do you want? "Oh wow, the Kings team took zero shots all game! Now that's defense!"

10. larsv8

Get off your crazy horse.

Jeremy Lin is a role player, nothing more.

11. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Back off the labeling, you're just aiming to incense posters. I get that these people have placed Lin of an undeserved pedestal but don't go making it any touchier than it already is. You're a contributing member, you should show more poise and maturity in handling these posters then relying on name-calling. I get that a lot of the things said in these threads can be quite silly and mind-boggling, but hey, you clicked on a thread that had Lin in the title. You knew what you were walking into.

I do agree that our offense should center our H&H, they're two All-stars with actual pedigree (Finals appearance, Olympics, etc.). Maximizing the system to bend to anyone else is asinine. But, a lot of people here feel that Lin can contribute more positively if he were a starter. I don't see that and the general consensus is, that there aren't enough shots around in the starting lineup for Lin to thrive. I do believe that he has more talent than a "role player" but as of now, that's his label.

12. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

NBA Defense is all about Team Defense

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Thank you

14. bws

bws Member

That term has no meaning at all to me. To each his/her own.

15. basketballholic

..............a role player on this team as currently constructed.....but a legit starting pg and star-level player on a different team.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Way too many turnovers!

17. Pete the Cheat

Starter material would apply to maybe a third of the league including the Rockets. But Lin is only a star because he blew up in NY...east coast bypass rules the day unfortunately. Anything beyond that us delusion, and the reason Rockets fans openly belittle LOF types

18. bws

bws Member

Lin and Parsons are a big part of the Rockets team. Take both of them off the team, let them sit out for the next 2 months and see what happens to the team. I think of them more as the second tier players after Harden and Howard, but either one can emerge as player of the game more often than other players on the team. Down the road if the team stays as is, T Jones can join them.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Leave it to you to come on here and pump up his trade value.

20. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

And he's getting paid way too much to be a role player. Too bad Morey gave him a contract that's hard to move.