1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here own a Tesla?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Dec 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

What? Just because one can afford a 63k car means they should disregard all other options and get the 63k car? I don't think you even read that poster's post before coming up with your own.

From what I've read strictly in this forum, it doesn't seem practical. Apparently this car is only good for going from point A to point B, if the distance doesn't exceed X miles? Why not just get a regular car, then? It may be cheaper to drive a Tesla day-to-day, but if all you're doing is driving it a short distance every day, it might take a long time before you see "profit," as opposed to buying a 23k car, and saving that extra 40k.

Tesla models almost seem like a complementary car - a "backup" car, since it can't go great distances.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Seems like you're the one that didn't read the post. The post had little to do with the practicality of the car and mostly with his opinion on cars as being nothing other than a basic tool to take you from here to there. His snide remarks about Nascar and investing your money speaks as much.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This.

But to comment on the practicality of the car, the 300 wh/mi + performance package version can go about 180 miles (flooring it) before a charge is needed. That sounds practical to me.

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

If I had that kind of money, I'd buy a GTR.

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Gtr all the way, or m3

6. sammy

^Completely different class. Sports coupes are irrelevant to this thread.

7. sammy

I got this reply from a friend fwiw

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It shouldn't if Robbie is going slow as he said. Maybe they need new tires but you shouldn't losing traction turning at a red light.

9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

My family owned the competitor to Tesla called the Fisker Karma. They chose it over the Model S because the exterior and interior appeared substantially more upscale and refined. Unfortunately, the company went bankrupt, and future servicing and parts became a major worry. Until these new technologies and brands become firmly established, I doubt we'll buy this type of automobile in the near future again. It was a costly mistake.

Most new cars on the road look quite sleek which I wouldn't say twenty or ten years ago. I agree with your thoughts on Tesla not standing out enough from other cars. Although seeing the enthusiastic responses in this thread, I'm sure newer models will look better and improve the so-so interior.

The Fusion looks the best to my eye for its price range.

Fusion
    [​IMG]

Cadenza
    [​IMG]

Model S
    [​IMG]

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought about getting a Model S, but the range of the vehicle isn't practical for my driving. Not to mention if I want performance, I want to feel like I'm sitting in the midst of performance. I want the howl and rumble of an engine. Well, that, and I'm still kind of cheap and would rather spend money on a house and land than a car that I'm getting rid of in a few years. I see a few running around here. The exterior styling was sleek and sexy when it came out, but now other vehicles are getting sleek as well and well, the Tesla is starting to look a bit more mundane. It's still a pretty cool car, though.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right, exactly. It's not a bad design by any means. It's a great looking car... but just doesn't stand out as much as it used to, to my eyes. It's a little "flat"... I mean, too smooth. Granted, there are less obvious parts to the design that do ultimately make a difference... how the door handle interacts. Or how on the soon to be released Model X (which I think does suffer from that same really nice but somewhat bland design) the back doors will be gullwings.

But even Tesla's designer concurs with my view:

Tesla’s chief designer says third-gen car design could be more expressive & couture

In particular:

Tesla’s Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen described the Model S design as lean and athletic and said it has a sort of classic “ready to wear” element. In contrast von Holzhausen said Tesla’s third-generation car — which will start to get designed next year — has the opportunity to be “more expressive,” and “couture” in its look.

This exactly addresses the shortcomings, I think. Current design is very classic and completely unoffensive... even in that good unoffensive way, like you could maybe describe a Porsche. Sounds like the design will get a little more unique, and I eagerly look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're going off what's reputation as poster rather than just off that single post. The Nascar comment had nothing to do with anything, sure, but what's wrong with investing / saving your money and getting a cheaper car? It's not like the Hondas and the Nissans of the world are garbage car makes.

I was just going off Sammy's comment. Just my opinion, but if I can afford a Tesla, I wouldn't just start at that price range and work my way down. I'd start at the 25k Accord and work my way up.

I'll admit - I didn't do any research on Tesla's cars, so that's not too shabby at all.

I have a friend who worked at Tesla's...kiosk (?) in the Galleria, a while back. He invested into Tesla's stock, and it's doing really well.

tl;dr? More power to you if you want to buy a Tesla.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow, people have different opinions on stuff on the internet. I've never seen this before!

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

ITT Rich mofos

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

my vette had the same issues until i upgraded the tires, perhaps their stock tires aren't very good.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Style over substance. The illusion of high tech is more important than practicality.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Go with an Infiniti M37

Great car

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You mean the "Q70", don't you? lol. Infiniti's so screwed up with their naming and screwed up technology. :grin:

19. Glish21

Glish21 Member

GM will own Tesla by 2015

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd wait a couple years on a Tesla. It's still in the "early adopters phase"

I drive a 2014 Benz myself, and have no patience for auto problems.