1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For all those who wish to criticize Rudy please first admit that you are stupid.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 26, 2003.

1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I am not arguing with your point. May well be valid!
    I am pointing out the silliness of the title of this post and the orginal post!
    No matter how Rudy/ the Rockets do next season, noone here is smart enough to pass judgement on him/ them!

2. x_trepidation_x

It's easy to be critical of Rudy this year. He really did a poor job of coaching. Why do I say this?

1) There was no ball movement
    2) Isolations seem to be our only plays
    3) Our team defense was horrible
    4) There was no motion offense
    5) It took us nearly 15 seconds before we could even think about developing a play

All these factors suggest lack of dicipline and lack of chemistry on the team. This is the coaches fault. Not the players. Coach has the responsibilities to be the leader and to tell the players what to do. If player does not respond it is because of 2 things.

1) Player is incapable of doing it
    2) Player just doesn't respect the coach.

Either way, the coach has the responsibilities to make adjustments if something doesn't go right.

With Yao Ming, the Rockets should have been in the playoffs. However, we made to many bone headed mistakes and did not execute our offense well. Or shall I say lack of offense.

Of course it is not totally Rudy's fault but the majority of the blame can be placed on him. This team, should be in the playoffs next year and probably should have been in the playoffs this year. If Rockets don't make next seasons playoffs Rudy should resign as head coach not because Rudy is a horrible person but because his philosophies are not working for whatever reason.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Uh, that's not the player's fault? :confused:

You can't do what you're supposed to do in your job, and that's your boss's fault?

4. x_trepidation_x

Of course it's Rudy's fault.

If a player is incapable of doing something take him out or instruct the player to only do certain things. For example, Mark Madson is a horrible player but is a hellish defender. So, I'm sure Phil Jackson tells Madson never to shoot the ball unless 2 feet away from the basket, never dribble the ball, and never ever set up a play for Mark Madson. <B>This is good coaching cause this decreases the number of touches Madson gets, leading to less turnovers, and at the same time Madson plays good defense usually annoying the heck out of the opponents Power Forward. </B>

Compare this to Rudy's coaching style...

First) Lets look at Mo Taylor, our Power forward, who racks up 17 minutes a game, almost 3 rebounds a game, shoots nearly 7 shots per game, and scores around 7 points a game. <B>Besides the horrible rebounding for a Power Forward, Taylor manages to have 1.25 turnovers and his point per shot output for the end of the year was 1.004. These are horrible statistics.</B> To put Taylor out on the court is one thing but to allow him to shoot and not rebound is another thing. Taylor's <U>Points per shot out put 1.004</U>, <B>which should be the measuring stick to how efficient the player is offensively</B>, is one of the <B>worst on the team</B>. Remember, we are talking about a Power Forward here!!! Rudy should have told Taylor never to shoot and when he is in the game...to play a little defense and pass the ball. How, did this team ever get into a situation where we are developing isolation plays for Taylor. Heck I would have played Cato at Power Forward over Taylor. At least he rebounded at lot better, had more blocks, less turnovers, and his was more efficient in the offensive end with 1.393 Points per shot. Cato did all of this in less time also. Cato should have been given more minutes and I think our front court would have rebounded better with Cato and Yao playing together.

Second) The Mobley/Francis combo guard. This tandum is aweful. They rack up nearly 6 turn over a game, they play awful defense, and they dish out almost 8 assist a game. These are just pitiful statistics for players who are supposed to be our stars and players who are supposed to be our best ball handlers. Steve should not play the point guard. Rudy should have caught on to this... Francis' ability to make quick and smart decisions is below average in respect to other point guards around the league. Rudy should have taken Francis and molded him into a shooting guard and attempted to aquire a large pass first point guard who knows how to take care of the ball. To much responsibilities lay in Francis' hands. He shouldn't have point guard duties and have the responsibilities of having to be our number one threat offensively. That is just to much work for a guy who is 6 ft 3. Kobe cann't even do that night in and night out. But what bothered me more about this combination is that they were not able to feed Yao Ming. I'm sorry but Yao is 7 ft 5. If Rudy could not devise a strategy to get Yao Ming the ball then I do question his coaching abilities. I find this amusing.

Third) Rudy should have made Glen Rice a larger part of the offense. The guy shot .398 percent from downtown this year. Do you realize this was higher then when he played with the Lakers and was part of the championship season. Rice scored around 16 points per game for the Lakers while on the Rockets Rice only scores around 9 points. <B>Rices' points per shot out put is 3rd only to Kato and Yao. </B> This suggest Rice should have been a larger part of our offense. Rudy didn't make these adjustments.

These are only a small list of things. I'm sure there are more.

I find it difficult to understand why you guys are defending Rudy T. coaching this season. Sure you can defend Rudy as a person. Everyone knows he is a nice guy. <B>But he did a horrible job coaching this year. That you can not defend.</B>

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

You confused the heck out of me although it's funny. What are you saying? Are you saying Rudy should not be back?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

ARC

7. mztay

mztay Member

COUNT DOUGH, YOU ARE A DEMI-GOD!!!! I for one am so sick of these people who can't face reality. Name ONE player who has improved under Rudy T?? Steve Francis is just as big of a headcase and question mark as in his rookie season. Cuttino's defense is definitely better but still too immature in other places! Moochie??...ugh. Cato..a backup center worth 40+ MILLION DOLLAAAAAAZZZZ???? Rudy is a player's coach who's dog has stopped hunting, baby! Face it. Steve and Cuttino (aka Tweedle DIM and Tweedle Dumazz) have contributed significantly to the ROY campaign of Stoudemire, to say the LEAST. Old Man, you can campaign until you are blue in the face, but we are not STUPID because we don't agree with you! What is STUPID is trying to convince other people what to say or think. This is a message board, darlin', not a "WE WUV WUDIE" campaign!:eek:

8. riggs

riggs Member

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a.... or are you too stupid to answer that.
    Rudy , this season more than any other was a joke. If we were in a city that had a media that wasn't afraid of thier shadow , Rudy would have been run out of town on a rail.
    Wake up and look around you. Yao and Steve are watching the play offs while the winners play them.