1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not sure what you're trying to do here, basketballholic.

It's fairly easy to create a list of five PG's having a better season than Lin. Not to mention, Lin has been hurt for a large portion of the season so it somewhat taints the discussion.

2. yummyhawtsauce

Or give Rationale behind the 'on par.' Lin is def better than a bunch of them listed.

3. mirus

mirus Member

Oh basketballholic is jopat,same tweets by him too

4. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think you can compare Rondo and Lin, but Lin has less than two years left on his contract (so does Beverley) and it's obvious what the coaching staff thinks of Lin because they gave Beverley his job (and yes I think Lin should be the starter). So if McHale is still here do you think Lin resigns...? If Lin plays great while Beverley is out and they send Lin back to the bench when he comes back... Lin will play the good soldier _ he won't flip out like Asik, but I bet he will have his agent calling Morey. And i wouldn't blame him..

5. basketballholic

What I am trying to do is get you to look at how great a season Lin has started with here. I could make the case he's having a top 5 season among point guards in the NBA. The point is he has value, whether it is playing for this team or in trade, he has value. And if he keeps playing this well for the next 6 weeks, he's going to increase his value to the degree that he may become sought after in a trade and we may have to consider very carefully trading him. Or at least making sure we get a great player back for him instead of just a salary dump.

6. Remii

Remii Member

What do you mean he's been leading a team his whole life...??? He only lead the Knicks for like a month. Was floating around benches before Melo told D'antoni to play him and he hasn't been the leader here. But I think he may want the opportunity.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, yeah, he's our best PG so obviously we're going to handle any trade discussions involving his name carefully. DM isn't going to just dump him.

I get it: he has value. We're all rooting for him. It still doesn't change the fact that the Lin/Beverley PG duo has been sub-par, though. Both players are seemingly best suited coming off the bench with the problem being, of course, they're both "sparks" on opposite ends of the court.

But for the subject at hand, I respect your opinion but I have a hard time expecting anybody to be with you on this top 5 season thing. His +/- numbers are brutal and he's missed 1/3 of the season. There's 8 or so PG's out there having better seasons, that haven't missed many games and are leading playoff-bound squads.

8. yummyhawtsauce

He lead his High School team to State champs and he lead on his harvard team...

9. mirus

mirus Member

But you need to consider how many teams actually is in need of PG/upgrade in PG.
    The Knicks?They needed it but they are the worst trading partner possible.
    Unless I slipped out some other teams from my mind I dont see any else right now.

10. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

The Knicks are hilarious. Given how deep the PG/SG position is overall in the NBA, only the Kicks could fail so miserably at having someone who can handle the role on an everyday basis.

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

LOL! So, in your opinion, you don't think the rest of the players I listed, such as LILLARD, aren't having a better season than Lin? You sure you're a 'basketballholic' ? Because your basketball IQ is incredibly low if you really believe that.

And Kemba has been having an amazing season, don't you watch basketball dude?

12. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

I swear there's a cheatsheet that gets passed between the Rockets-only-fans+Lin-hater niche regarding Lin and Beverley. And they just follow protocol.

I can't do a gif and post it here, but I'll try to describe it.

A graph with four quadrants. On the Y axis there is two conditions - Lin plays well vs Lin plays poorly. On the X axis the two conditions are - Beverley plays well and Beveley plays poorly.

There's a footnote that says, "When Lin plays average, it is equal to Lin plays poorly". But "When Beverley plays average, it is equal to Beverley plays well".

So here it goes:

Quadrant 1 Beverley plays well and Lin Plays poorly

- Trade Lin for a bag of peanuts, what a scrub, put him in DLeague, sit him on the bench where he belongs, LOL at LOFs thinking Lin was any good. Bev is badass, he's exactly what we need at PG.

Quadrant 2 Beverley plays poorly and Lin plays poorly
    - Lin really sucks. Trade him for a bag of peanuts. What a scrub. At least Beverley brings defense (happens sometimes but just pretend it happens every game, if somebody points it out just point to that game against Lillard as proof), and doesn't turn it over (don't mention assists ok?). Beverley's here for defense, not offense, it doesn't matter if he shoots 2-9.

Quadrant 3 Lin plays well and Beverley plays well
    - Lin had an ok game, but man what a great bargain in Beverley we got. Lin's contract is crippling us. **** that poison pill, what was Morey thinking? Lin is untradable. It's Le$ marketing dollars (but don't ever say Lin has any impact on the China market and Asian fans ok? Tinman doesn't approve). But let's trade him anyway while he has some value. Beverley is da man (Just don't mention Beverley only has two games this season with 10 or more points AND 4 or more assists, for a PG).

Quadrant 4 Lin plays well and Beverley plays poorly (or not available)
    - {empty space for a while until ... }
    - Let's trade him for a player we obviously cannot get, afford, or isn't even a fit, or didn't even want to be on the Rockets like Bledsoe (wanting near max contract next year), Deron Williams, Rondo, Rubio, Dragic, Lowry,
    - Compare him against the top PGs in the NBA, and put him in a tier with a bunch of players who aren't better PGs and/or shooting worse than Lin did during his first season with the Rockets which were a big reason why we complained about him last season (but shhhhh ... you get it)
    - Compare Lin against players on rookie contracts and say Lin is expensive
    - Compare Lin against 7 year veterans (who took more than 3-4 years in the league to get to this level, but shhhhh ... ) and say Lin sucks
    - Wait for Lin-fans to say something along the lines of "that's what Lin can do if he ... eg starts or eg shares the ball with Harden" ... and quickly jump in with "McHale is racists to white DMo also, LOL LOL LOL"

If all else fails, other arguments that can be thrown in include:
    - Lin is injury prone. Look he missed 2-3 games in the playoffs last season (don't mention he played all of the regular season and more games than Harden last season). Just don't mention Beverley in on track to around 21% of all the games he's eligible to pay since he entered the Rockets rotation for good while Lin has missed just 10%. And in this instance, we're able to use Lin's injury on the Knicks with Tinman's special approval, as it is negative on Lin.

So ...

December 26, 2013

Protocol says "Initiate Quadrant 4 responses".

2 people like this.
  13. Dementium

Dementium Member

Biggest reason we won tonight was Dmo IMO. He came in and stopped the bleeding. Lol. Really did not expect that.

14. Dementium

Dementium Member

Crap. Posted in wrong thread and can't delete.

15. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

Kemba Walker shoots ik e40% from the field. Not so impressive.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Bev has a higher trade value than Lin

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

DMO and Lin sparked the comeback along with Harden's FTs...the entire team played like crap for 3 quart though.

18. Drphil

Drphil Member

Uhhh, our best all around player tonight was T-Jones. Kept us close in the game all night.

19. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

December 27, 2013

Protocol says "Initiate both Quadrant 2 and Quadrant 4 responses"

If this result in confusion among LOFs, job well done.

20. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Kemba has been pretty average indeed.