1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

because you are trying to squeeze out 1-5 extra possessions where lin can perform a scoring guard role, not a facilitating one.

2. JJae

JJae Member

this is just common sense consisting of knowledge, judgement, and taste which is more or less universal and also which is held more or less without reflection or argument outside of houston rockets

3. Chris Jent MVP

You've got to be kidding. :rolleyes: Don't be a TJOF

4. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I disagree. The bench has a hard time scoring. Our starters are loaded with scorers. If that's true, harden would be better coming off the bench. He is a facilitator and he is a stronger scorer so when Garcia and Cassipi can't make anything happen, Harden just turns it on. He will still play 32+ minutes a game. Lin can run with the starters b/c Howard and Parsons can provide the fire power and Lin can feed them the ball all night long while still getting his 10-15 points. You guys keep saying there is nothing wrong with coming off the bench so it shouldn't be a problem to have Harden run with the second unit. That would ultimately give us the most balance.

Personally, I disagree with this bc I want my best 5 starting and playing the most and rotating out so that we almost always have Lin or Harden being in the game. But for you guys saying that our bench needs someone to provide them with offense, there's no one better than Harden to do that.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah that's good idea, except we literally don't have another shooting guard playing at an NBA level

6. RocketPowerNick

I don't think we win that game w/ Bev at starting PG.

7. torocan

torocan Member

You could argue that Brooks is better as a 2-guard than PG playing beside Harden. Of course that would be a defensive train wreck in the back court... however, it would be against 2nd units so it's not *that* bad versus putting them up against a top tier 1st unit, especially if you're rotating minutes with Beverley as well.

Would a line up of Harden/Beverley/Brooks/Casspi and Smith/Tjones be terrible as a 2nd unit? I think that would be passable... at least better than no Harden OR Lin with the 2nd unit.

8. pnr

pnr Member

Lin will go back to the second unit once Beverley is back but he should get 30 minutes a game.

9. Remii

Remii Member

You do know we beat the Spurs without Lin in San Antonio with Bev starting... But this Bev vs Lin debate is another prettiest girl in an ugliest girl contest debate. I would rather have Bledsoe.

10. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Why not Chris Paul?

11. pnr

pnr Member

Bledsoe wants a max contract after this season and some dumb team will give it to him, but it won't be us.

12. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Coming from playing regular ball, I think it is a lot more tasking to run both offence and defence in the 1st quarter of the game. Usually during that time you want to get in rhythm and when you have to do both side of the court alone because no one else can do it, it really screws your body conditioning up.

The problem I see is very simple, Harden playing with Bev puts lot more pressure on Harden because he has to initiate offence and play hard defence. Harden playing with Lin allows him to pass the ball to Lin to initiate the offence which reduces his offensive load when he feels tired from playing defence. The problem is that even though Bev is really strong in D, it doesn't relieve Harden from playing hard D on his man. Harden still has to chase his man down. While with Lin, he'll have to play hard on D like usual but in O, he can conserve energy and let Lin do the driving sometimes.

13. basketballholic

I doubt it. Beverley has a broken hand. It's his shooting hand. He's gonna be out 6 weeks and it's gonna take him a much longer period of time to regain confidence and normalcy to his shot. I think Bev is going to need the balance of this season to work his way back to being any sort of 2-way player.

14. tonman

tonman Member

another ugly girl in the competition, thanks for your input. interesting that Bledsoe has played in 52 more games than lin.

15. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

I like this version of Harden. Harden 2.0 >>>>> Haren 1.0.

16. rokit

rokit Member

manu came back after missing 5 weeks, and his hand was more messed up than bev's

17. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

parsons takes the pressure off of harden and makes up for bev's lack of offensive creations.

18. basketballholic

Good point on Manu. How do you know Manu's was more messed up?

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Allen gives Harden problems. I want to see a lot of PG and Center play today. We are on TNT so lets give them a game like yesterday!

20. rokit

rokit Member

I don't know, for some reason i remember Manu having a really bad fracture. Morey did say Pat's injury is not as bad as they thought.