1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason Thread ('13-'14)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cardpire, Nov 12, 2013.

1. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Welp... this Rule 5er didn't pan out:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rhiner Cruz outrighted off Astros roster. Puts 40-man at 39.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/415200708896784384">December 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A little surprised at the timing, but figured he was fighting for a job in ST. I wonder if they needed a spot for a FA or waiver claim.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

Need a spot for Tanaka. #stilldelusionallypraying

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros listed as potential suitors for Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales, and Fernando Rodney. Thoughts? <a href="http://t.co/2bj08iLPLF">http://t.co/2bj08iLPLF</a></p>&mdash; Sean Feist (@native_astro) <a href="https://twitter.com/native_astro/statuses/416283948956655616">December 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. BBJunkie

BBJunkie Member

Rodney is the only one who would make sense. They can sign him and won't lose a draft pick. The only reason to sign him would be to put him in the closer role and flip him at the deadline to a team that needs a closer/reliever like Veras last year. Drew and Morales don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I would love to get Morales. I'm half-Cuban, so I've followed his career and have enjoyed watching him play when he's healthy. It just doesn't seem like a logical fit. While he's a good hitter, he can't play 1st (like Carter). He's a switch hitter but he hits lefties (as a RH hitter) a lot better than righties (like Carter). I guess you play him at 1st in lieu of Wallace and hope he doesn't embarrass himself? I just don’t see it as a need.

Am I correct in assuming that none of these three have been given a qualifying offer so we won't lose a draft pick? If that's the case and we can do it without tying up long-term money, all three of these guys are better than what we currently have at those positions... so, sure! Do it!

:confused:

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I believe Morales would cost us a pick

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Drew and Morales both costs draft pick compensation. As for Drew, I'd rather see us continue to give Villar a shot there and out top prospect is a SS, so not interested.

Rodney is really the only one i'd like to see in a Stros uniform next year

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like unfounded speculation more than anything else but:

Johan Santana, LHP, free agent — Santana is getting closer to making a decision on a minor league deal with a team. There’s been some speculation about the Twins since Santana still resides in Fort Myers, Fla., where the Twins have spring training. The Red Sox, who also train in Fort Myers, passed. But a small-market team such as the Astros could also have some interest. Santana is just trying to get back pitching and prove himself again.

Link

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

come on back to the team that discovered and took a chance on you.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Projected Opening Day Roster

1. Fowler CF
    2. Altuve 2B
    3. Castro C
    4. Carter DH
    5. Wallace 1B
    6. Dominguez 3B
    7. Springer RF
    8. Hoes LF
    9. Villar SS

Gonzalez
    Corporan
    Guzman
    Grossman

Cosart
    Feldman
    Oberholtzer
    Peacock
    Keuchel

Crain
    Qualls
    Albers
    Fields
    Lo
    Chapman
    Harrell

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Zeid instead of Lo.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

^^

I still got Amador as my darkhorse opening day 1B. And, i borderline like that roster. Amazing how many potential studs should be added to it by 2016.

I'll say it again: break the bank for Tanaka, and there's a good chance you won't have to pay a big free agent (maybe one bat somewhere along the way) for 5+ years.

And I wouldn't rule out playoff noise this year with Tanaka added to that roster.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Small Market? For a minor league deal, it is a no brainer.

I like Lo. Maybe replace Harrell?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Until they spend consistently close to the average league payroll, they will be considered "small-market".

Miami is not a small to market media-wise... but they're a small market baseball-wise.

Houston "could" be a mid to large market... they just need the TV deal to do so.

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Can anyone post the Astros article that was posted today on Baseball America?

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Oh I was just posting the link for whoever has subscription so they don't have to look for it

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

HOUSTON—It was no surprise when the Astros added righthander Asher Wojciechowski to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. Outfielder Domingo Santana, who tore up the Texas League in 2013, also was an expected addition.

Yet scouts hoping to snag a gem from under the Astros’ nose had to be disappointed when general manager Jeff Luhnow surprised even some of the club’s more ardent observers by adding lefthander Luis Cruz to the roster.

"Cruz is probably the one that was least expected," Luhnow said. "He pitched well in California in the Cal League and he’s lefthanded and he’s got good stuff. We promoted him to Double-A not really expecting him to do what he did. He went out and dominated.”

Cruz, 23, had a stellar 2013 between high Class A Lancaster and Double-A Corpus Christi while posting a combined 10-6, 4.56 record with two saves and 150 strikeouts in 130 innings.

Luhnow notes that there were several opposing scouts in attendance when Cruz went 2-0, 0.53 while giving up only one run over 17 innings through four appearances (two starts) with Corpus Christi. He gave up just five hits in that span.

"It was a surprise," Cruz said of being added to the 40-man roster. "To me that was like being drafted all over again. I’m super excited for the opportunity that I didn’t expect.”

Cruz, a 5-foot-9 lefty picked in the ninth round of the 2008 draft out of a Puerto Rico high school, won’t be found on any list of top Astros prospects. Nonetheless, he and Rudy Owens are arguably the team’s best lefthanded pitching prospects.

"Even though he only had a couple of weeks at Double-A, the fact is that he is lefthanded, he profiles as starting pitcher and has dominant stuff,” Luhnow said. "That’s still an area where we’re thin. We’re thin at lefthanded starting pitching depth.”