1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If someone believes being gay is a choice...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, Dec 22, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You refuse to admit the double standard in addressing homosexuality with terms like choice, preference, and lifestyle while not doing likewise with heterosexuality. Are you going to stop having sex because someone else's religious beliefs say you're committing sin? It certainly doesn't stop heterosexual Christians from having sex out of wedlock which is a mortal sin according to their beliefs. Why all the double standards?

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

At first you said it was a choice for you at puberty, but now you are saying that you didn't choose to become straight. You are saying it just happened and that you were never attracted to males. You recognize you are saying that being heterosexual wasn't a choice for you, right?

Additionally, there are many shades of gray to human sexuality. It isn't all just homosexual and heterosexual. And sexual orientation likely isn't just genetic. Hormones are very strongly tied to sexual orientation and gender identity.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

haha what?

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

hormones largely determine your sex, changes in them over life or deviations from the norm can also have significant effects on gender identity and sexual orientation (see Klinefelter syndrome).

As a related aside on this topic, I love the nature/biology argument. "homosexuality is against nature!"

what nature.

if finding nemo were for real, nemo's dad would have turned into a female and sexed nemo up.

nature you scurrrrry

#24 Northside Storm, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its not that complicated... or do fundamentalists not believe in science?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah the whole nature argument is stupid. Homosexuality and bisexuality are common in nature.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

If you beleive being gay is a choice then you are saying you chose to be heteralsexual. I never shose to be heteralsexual therefore a person who is homosexual didn't choose to be gay.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

all you self-proclaimed sexuality experts should probably learn how to spell "heterosexual"

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Lol. This pretty much sums it up.

I doubt that there is truly a conscious choice. Not usually, anyway. I was probably in kindergarten when I started chasing girls at recess.

I was probably the same age when I discovered my dad's Playboy collection, and I was all over those.

I may not have known WHY I liked girls, but I sure as hell knew that I did.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know. There's some ugly women and some handsome dudes. It can get complicated.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Talking James Franco sorta choice aye.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/08GFjxnDX_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

true. but no one will ever know.

CP25<3FORLYF3

12. Andrew Wiggins

I saw this on reddit over 6 months ago. Did it get re-posted or something?

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you -- it really ain't. I know my answer to your question and it is definitely not a "choice."

It's like saying people choose to draw in more air through their left or right nostril.

1 person likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

there's a lot of guesswork, wishful thinking and a general lack of proof in this thread.

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Prove it is a choice. If it truly is a choice you, and every single man and woman, should have no problem having sex with another man.

17. Andrew Wiggins

But this one time _____________...does that make me gay?

You're gay if your actions are gay. Actions speak louder than words.
    You're a _____ if you do ______ things.
    You're a _____ if you do ______ things.
    You're being (a) ________ if you're acting (like a) ________.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Well said.

If homosexuality was so easily defined. Gotta love liberals. It always has to be black or white in their gray world.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If the point of having sex with the same gender is to "get off," it is scientific fact that can be achieved between two people of the same sex. Of course, you can get yourself off too - so what does that prove? I know that if men only had sex with men, and women only had sex with women the human race wouldn't exist. The "natural order" of things, God or not, is it takes a male to have sex with a female to continue a species. This is the case with the vast majority of gender-based species throughout the history of this planet.

Now you can say you see gay sex in other species as well, but we also know what the "sex drive" of wild animals can basically force those animals to act out by raping other animals. Many male dogs can't control their urges, as an example. Thus the reason they get their nuts cut. So what percentage of the "gay" animal species are consensual between the two animals having gay sex? I'm betting most of the time it is the dominant animal doing what it wants to do. I highly doubt it is the two gay animals taking turns with one another. So to me, that comparison has and never will be valid.

Everything we do in our life is a choice. The idea of "I was born this way" is ridiculous. We have higher brain functions which allow for us to adjust how we act - this is a proven fact. If we all did what we wanted to do, we'd probably sit around and jerk off all day and we would have gotten nothing done as a species.

As a society we don't go around murdering people, even if we were born with the urges to do so. Many psychological studies have PROVEN that people are born with the urges to act out violently. But, as a society we've deemed that as unacceptable behavior.

The same is said for sexual urges, including people that are sexually attracted to children or animals. There are scientific studies that have PROVEN that some people have sexual urges to act out on Children. They generally only fight those urges with therapy and lots of medication.

Sexual urges, like every other urge we have as human beings come in all shapes and sizes. We have the CHOICE to act on those urges or not. The idea of "I couldn't control myself, I was born this way" is weak. We control our sexual urges every single day, otherwise people would be out raping one another with impunity.

Now should gay people be allowed to act out on their sexual urges? Yes. As long as it is consensual - go crazy we're a free country. However, they shouldn't be shocked when people speak out against non societal norms. You can be gay, go for it - knock yourself out. It is your life and you can do with it what you want. However, as a country we leave a legacy for our children, and obviously the legacy we try to leave will differ between people.

As a Christian, I feel my Bible teaches me that homosexuality is sin, and it also teaches me that God gave us free will to act how we want to act - and sexual orientation or urges are no different.

If our country passes laws to allow homosexuality (marriage), so be it. We are a country of people, a democracy, so the majority rules. However, just as it is the right of homosexuals to fight for the right to be "married" it is the right of people who don't view that lifestyle as normal to fight to preserve how they feel the world should be as well. That is a democracy, people disagree and it works itself out.

2 people like this.
  20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

They cannot prove their point, and it frustrates the hell out of them. Then they resort to commonly used logic errors such as trying to oversimplify it and trying to make assumptions to justify their worldview. All said, they cannot prove their point.