1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking charges is disgusting

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KingLeoric, Dec 21, 2013.

1. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

It is disgusting. Instead of being a man and attempting to contest a shot, one tries to be a smart aas and stands there. Ohhh and make sure you are in the way of the guy who's sprinting to the basket so he has no way other to go, stand absolutely still, outside of the circle, hands firmly touch your crotch, close your eyes and your mouth for crotch in yo face impact, also make sure to fall down after.

The only purpose of this move is to get a whistle which should not be encouraged in any kind of sport.

Some players even mastered this move and use it as the key weapon of their careers.

If a player gets rid of his defender on the perimeter, rises up high and takes it directly to the hoop, he is playing great basketball; if it is a great challenge for the defender under the basket to stop him, it is the way it should be; the rules should not encourage a defender to stand still and flop for a whistle instead of trying to contest a shot.

2. The Joker

The Joker Member

You obviously don't play basketball or dont understand the intelligence and courage needed to draw charges.

3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Use your intelligence and courage somewhere other than trying to flop for a whistle.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Its part of the rules, defender is allowed to command a space if he is there first. Otherwise you'd have offensive players just running over defensive players at will.

1 person likes this.
  5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Ever actually try doing it in a game? It's harder than you think to get a legit charge call and that means you're actually moving your feet instead of reaching. Besides you can't have people running over defenders. Imagine if what was allowed to just lower his shoulder and not get called for it.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's gone too far. The worst is when guys who aren't even going to the basket get whistled for charges after dishing the ball. Eliminating that call by itself might solve most of the problem for me.

It's also truly disgusting when players like JJ Barea use falling down as their only means of defense against players they can't hope to guard otherwise.

7. dragician

dragician Member

speaking of charge, i took a charge once from a bigger guy, it freaking hurts. i should have not done that because there was no ref watching the game, it was not even a tournament, a street game.

it was too bad that I didn't want to finish the game without returning the favor. he had another fast break opportunity and was about run me over but i stepped to the right and tripped him with my left foot. he kissed the ground.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its a tough call. if you stand there waiting for impact, i don't like that at all. most of the time if a guy is airborn its dangerous to the offensive player. sometimes a cutter is passed the ball and doesn't even have time to stop himself before he makes contact with a guy waiting there to take the charge. that part sucks.

however, the defense has the right to maintain space, or offensive players would bully their way to the basket. i would say that the defender must "make a play towards the ball" on defense, and standing in the way only to fall should be a flop. in other words, get rid of taking a charge, but don't get rid of the offensive foul obviously. it is difficult to separate the two.

9. The Joker

The Joker Member

Have the refs work on proper charge calls. Thats it. If a player has left his feet before defender established position it is a block call.

10. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Were you as critical of the tactic when Battier was a Rocket?

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Why are you taking a charge in a pick up game? :confused:

12. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Flopping is disgusting.

Taking a charge is a great play. Not everybody is 6'10 or has a 35 inch vertical.

You won't see Chuck Hayes swatting many shots, nor Aaron Brooks. You gotta do what you gotta do to help the team win, including putting your body on the line. As long as you do it fairly, and not be a Chris Paul flopper.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I hate charges as well. There are legitimate times when an offensive player creates contact and creates an offensive foul

It's different when a guy like Shane battier hops all over the court in an effort to eventuate a flop.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We all know a flop when we see one, but most charges are not flops. The worst flops are made by offensive players anyhow

The defense has a right to their position. And the circle is there to prevent most all undercuts. Screw offensive players who bull rush the basket and go right into someone's sternum.

1 person likes this.
  15. ptR91

ptR91 Member

The only thing I hate is when, the offensive player already has picked up their dribble while driving to the basket and the defensive player jumps in the last second and gets the charge call. Most likely the offensive player is in the air and the defensive player is basically undercutting. The refs need to consider that.

16. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I 100% agree that the defender needs the right to hold his ground.

If a defender is indeed trying to hold his ground, and it is the attacker who is responsible for the impact, to me that is "being charged".

But a lot of times the defender intentionally cause the impact by standing in front of the offensive player at the last millisecond to make sure the offensive player cannot avoid the impact. That to me is "taking a charge"

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That's just bad refereeing.

You can't establish position once they've picked up their dribble. It's the rules of basketball.

Can you think of an example of the scenario you're talking about?

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yeah let's just let Lebron play Adrian Peterson and just steamroll everyone 24/7

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Last time I set a "charge" I held my ground and shouldered him to the ground lol.

20. ptR91

ptR91 Member

Recently, GS vs Spurs this past Thursday, Curry in the corner drives to the basketball, picks up his dribble, takes 2 steps already in the air, then Mills or Joseph, steps in while Curry is in the air. Curry gets called for charge.

I see it all the time in other games, I hate it.