1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If there really is no Asik trade...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Dec 19, 2013.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

This definitely is not good. Not being able to trade your so called "asset" before the deadline YOU personally set makes you look a bit foolish. Why go public with the deadline anyway? You just put unnecessary pressure on yourself and the team. My guess is we probably never had a good deal on table but just leaked these rumors just to draw interest. NO WAY Atlanta's dumb enough to hand us Millsap for Asik. Thats just stupid.

Morey probably overvalued Asik's trade interest and got cocky giving that deadline publicly. Hopefully a trade still gets done because keeping Asik shouldn't be a option

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i would just tell him to
    [​IMG]

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Here are the reasons for the deadline.

1) you get a look at "serious" trade offers way before February.

2) Asik requested a trade and by making a deadline you have an excuse to say "hey we tried but the offers were crap" the agent knows you also tried publicly.

3) Asik's agent now has to convince his client to suck it up and play well to build his value back up in order to get traded in February. Asik could lose millions if he plays like crap for the rest of the season since his contract is up in a year.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

It's his agen'ts fault. He is filling Asik up with negative crap about how the Rockets screwed him over, don't value him are not starting him nor treating him with respect. Why? So he can GET PAID his commission which I'm sure is larger if the contract amt is larger;)

5. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

true that

6. Andrew Wiggins

Because a fair deal for him sooner is better than later. Why have a valuable asset just sitting on the bench. 3 problems though:

1) Asik's balloon payment hurt his trade value
    2) Asik's demand to be a starter combined hurt his trade value further
    3) GM's are hesitant to make a deal with Morey.

Let the NBA season run its course and wait for a few centers to get injured. The demand for Asik will go up.

7. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Just wanted to see the FLOP

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Asik ain't gonna be happy and wanting out is the right thing for him. He deserves to start and he can propel other teams to a conference finals as well. I think they'll find a solution shortly. Millsap is a player we wouldn't want to flip so doesn't matter when we make that deal if it's on the table.

9. Andrew Wiggins

Good reasons. Add the fact that GM's are reluctant to trade with Morey as it is. This is not going to make them want to deal with him any less.

It's very difficult for any GM to make a trade that makes his team better when they are contenders. No GM wants to get blamed for trading away a championship.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

Asik might as well ball out or he won't get anything close to $8 million a year from any team in 2015. That's going to be his incentive.

11. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

I think he wants to become a better player, and to do that he needs playing time and opportunity, and most importantly to be relied upon as a core player.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man, we have been too accommodating to him. How about other people on the team that are working their tails off to get some minutes. It's not fair to Smith, not fair to DMO, to Brewer. If we put him in and he half-asses it out there, this is going to mess up the team chemistry.

13. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

watch the rox activate asik vs the pacers, so morey can show them what they missing. lol

14. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I don't see what he has to gain by lowering his own trade value, especially from the perspective of not wanting his new team to give up too much. It's more fun to play on a good team than a bad one, but he's not going to get traded anywhere better than Houston. His first priority appears to be starting, whether it's because of ego or a desire to cash in on his next contract. I think we'll see him stop pouting and do his best. DM has shown he's not going to trade Omer unless he gets an offer he likes, so the best way to get the starting role he wants is to be a good teammate and a productive player that another franchise is willing to pay fairly for.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He has all of next season to prove his worth, provided he makes it to a team where he can start. And, he has a good dataset from last season too. He doesn't need to play at all this season to get the contract he wants so long as he's in a good spot next season.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

Morey will not trade him for a package Morey doesn't like, Period. That much has just been made clear. If he plays like crap Morey isn't going to just give him away for less than he was offered now.

Will GMs Remember what he did 2 seasons in the past or his sulking and bad play in the present when negotiations a contract?

17. alX

alX Member

i agree that leading a team would be great, but if he engaged his role in helping this rocket team, it would be far from "sitting back".
    also, it seems that nba refs have it out for dwight, he would get plenty of playing time.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Les is a very wealthy man. He has a money making NBA franchise and $600M in team equity. If Morey recommended it I don't believe he would bat an eye spending the money for Asik. Bragging rights and the possibility of being invited to the WH with his team and a chip must be driving him.

Asik still retains most of his value after this season. But what if the Rockets just don't let him play next season also? That would be a huge threat because Asik's value would plummet.

Also, Asik seemed to be willing to play before he got injured. The victory against the SAS probably would not have occurred without Asik.

All in all I don't believe you have a solid point among the nine you raised.

19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

You way underestimate the effects of refusing to play/pouting etc.. Comparing that to Bynum with his injuries etc. is just a bad example. There is a huge difference between injury and flat out refusal to play. Nobody wants that kind of trouble.
    Asik's best play really is to be professional and distance himself as far as possible from his previous behavior or teams will remember him as 'trouble' rather than look at him for his skills.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Other GMs don't have a memory any shorter than ours. They still know he's a good center from last season, just like we do. How well or poorly he plays between now and February won't much change what they're willing to pay, unless he just takes it to another level (or conversely suffers a career-threatening injury). The bigger variable for counterparties will be their own rosters -- do they lose a center to injury? do they realize Asik will get them over the hump and into contention?

So, if Asik cannot seriously increase a counterparty's willingness to pay Morey's ask price by playing well, can he seriously increase Morey's willingness to pay the counterparty's bid price by playing poorly? I think he can. Asik's contract is such that his value decreases over time. Meanwhile, a worthless Asik gets in the way of the Rockets' larger contention aspirations.