1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Is anyone willing to pay for Omer Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 13, 2013.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

In full : http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/85751/is-anyone-willing-to-pay-for-omer-asik

[​IMG]

#1 RV6, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

You forgot the best part of the article:

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I thought the public nature of the "auction" was one of the most interesting aspects of this situation. Of course, the most interesting will be what they actually get back.

But in retrospect it is fascinating to see how (i) DM refused to move him in the summer and seemingly didn't even try, (ii) Asik's on-court performance (in combo with Dwight) and subsequent attitude might have sunk his value AND made it clear as day a trade had to come, (iii) knowing that a trade had to come, and knowing that everyone else knew it, DM decided to publicly bracket the rules about how the trade would take place (when, and in auction style), and finally (iv) DM's attempt to increase trade value by asking for the moon, knowing that the auction is coming.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wouldn't say trading Asik was certain in the summer. But I am sure the idea occupied a place in Morey's mind.

For Morey, I think its floating a dozen or more scenarios at once. While I am sure they are not all weighted the same, he knows any one of them can happen, including the one where the twin towers actually worked.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the Bobcats makes sense considering those draft picks can't be this years (owned by Chicago), or the year after because of

6. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Great Article
    Finally someone WHO Sees how much value Asik has,I remember Reading some comments on Bleacher report where People were Saying guys like Lopez or Dalembert are better Players than Omer ...... smh

7. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Lukily Morey and other NBA GMs know the value of Asik on the court, so I can't imagine us getting a bad deal. The question will come down to: will you take the best deal for a player of need here, or do you take the best trade in total and at the trade deadline or next summer figure out the perfect fit for the player you need.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Pelicans and Bucks are apparently not willing per Sam Amick ...

9. Ultimate6thMan

McHale also helped to lower Asik's value by playing the TT with not enough offense on the floor with them, and then subsequently mismanaging his minutes once he decided to play Asik off the bench.

For a coach that is supposed to be a player's coach, he sure has had trouble getting some of his star and role players to buy into his philosophy and sacrifice their game for his plan.

10. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

When Putting on the trade table, Asik is a more valuable asset than Howard and Harden.
    Genius Morey.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Get rich or die trying

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like more posturing to me. I'm sure Milwaukee would be kicking itself to get Asik for Ilyasova alone, but Morey is asking for oh so much more...

I love this feeling. Where you know that no matter what goes down, your GM is gonna be winning the battle of the negotiation war. I wish we had something anywhere near that when it came to coaching, you know, having reasonable faith that your man will win the mental chess match.

For that matter, I wish I felt anywhere near this about our coaching and GMing for the Texans too...

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

IMO, most probably, we will be worse. Its a question of how much. What I mean by this, is a good attitude Asik playing with this team is better than what we will get for him.

As much as I liked Asik last year, I am really ready to see him gone after his tirade and moping.

Now its possible Morey could rape some GM and break even or come out ahead here. I am not counting on this to happen. But if anyone can do it, Morey can.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

All you need are two teams to start a bidding war.

And if you ask Scott Boras, sometimes all you need is one. (Suck it Rangers)

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am afraid that you'll likely be disappointed soon.

17. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Bobcats have a 1st from Portland (protected top 12 IIRC) from the Crash trade, 1st from Detroit (protected top 8 I believe) from Gordon / Maggette trade and owe Chicago a 1st protected from the Tyrus Thomas trade.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The model I'm thinking of here is the Thomas Robinson auction last summer which was also a public deadline auction. The haul there turned out to be pretty good, but not nearly as good as some people were thinking, and was more a quantity over quality haul, which I think was source of disappointment as some were looking for the one big name in a one-for-one.

Morey is the type who will take 12 dimes instead of four quarters, since he's planning on converting it to a dollar bill down the line, anyway. Conversely, it is easier for other teams to offer a package of assets instead of one big bit, especially in the middle of the season.

Obviously the full roster and salary issues limit this, but I expect one player to keep, maybe one to match salaries to cut, and a package of middle of the road picks and developmental euros.

#18 Ottomaton, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

The odds of an NBA GM overpaying for a player is pretty high. Start the asking price high I say.

20. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

It's a completely different situation.

We couldn't take salary back so that limited our options.

For a pure player-for-picks swap, that was really good if not outstanding.

Also Asik is on a completely different level than T-Rob and there's always a demand for great defensive centers. Not so much for disappointing one-dimensional power forwards.