1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sure, that's steep, but Charlotte probably offered Ben Gordon (worthless player but expiring contract), and we probably wouldn't get a pick from them for awhile because they already owe Chicago a first.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Varejo talk from David Aldridge
    The Bobcats multiple 1sts from Zack Lowe
    Rockets want 1st and a good player from Stein.
    Millsap, Ersan etc etc

Rockets leaking "good trades" to sports writers so as to drive up the Asik value.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Makes one wonder what Morey's priority is:

1) Best fit
    2) Best player
    3) Best asset(s)

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ideally it would be all 3! :)

But right now, my guess is "best asset" to be able to flip for the "big prize" down the road. That's why Morey wants 1st rounders. They are liquid assets that can be attached to any player as sweeteners.

6. Raven

Raven Member

He wants a first or a young player with upside. Morey loves flexibility.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I want Giannis + ZaZa or Andy V + The Waiter.

8. rocketsfaninala

My scenarios

Since it has been rumored that Cleveland, Philadelphia, Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta are the favorites for Asik here are my trade scenarios.

Cleveland scenario (most likely imo)

Houston trades: Omer Asik, Ronnie Brewer, a future second round pick

for

Cleveland: Anderson Varejao, Alonzo Gee, and Kings 2014 1st round pick (top 12 protected)

Philadelphia scenario (4th most likely)

Houston trades Omer Asik and rights to Kostas Popanikolaou

for

Philadelphia trades Spencer Hawes and Nets 2014 2nd round pick

Boston scenario (3rd most likely)

Houston trades Omer Asik and future 2nd round pick

for

Boston trades Kris Humphries and the nets/hawks 2014 1st round pick (Boston has rights to the less favorable pick because Atlanta owns the right to the better pick.)

Milwaukee scenario (least likely)

Houston trades Omer Asik,and Ronnie Brewer

for

Caron Butler, Nate Wolters, and the Lakers 2014 2nd round pick

Atlanta scenario (2nd most likely)

Houston trades Omer Asik, Donatas Motiejunas, future 2nd round draft pick and the rights to Kostas Popanikolaou

for

Atlanta trades Paul Millsap, Gustavo Ayon and the rights to Lucas Nogueira

Word has been that Morey wants picks or a solid young prospect and either a backup center or stretch 4. I feel all of the scenarios cover what Morey is looking for given the current value of Asik.

I feel like the Cavaliers will be willing to give the most bang for the buck for Asik. Varejao and Gee seem like Morey type of players and Houston has had interest in both in the past. Houston gets a protected first round pick as well. Morey is most likely collecting assets to make a bigger move at the deadline so going best value is the route he will go with this trade. Just my thoughts.

9. ejarts

ejarts Member

Honestly I wish we keep Asik. We have 2 of the best defensive Centers in the league. You saw how crucial Asik was from last nights game. 48 minutes of protected rim wins playoff games. Rockets have top offense in the league already. All we really need is to develop our defense system. Good luck beating Tim Duncan or Blake Griffin or stopping KD and Westbrook from driving in the playoffs.

Shouldve signed Stephen Jackson instead of Brewer. We need a Tony Allen who will guard Lebron or Kobe while having rim prortectors... ROckets are complete already.

TJones and Dmo are enough if we need a scoring shooting PF. Trading Asik is just a big blow.

Develop Canaan more and trade Brooks+Brewer for a defensive guy like Shumpert. Since Knicks need a PG bad. I'm sure they'd love to have Brooks right now while they're vulnerable and desperate.

It's looking like Morey is getting impatient if he does trade Asik soon. Unless he gathers assets to wait for Aldridge or Kevin Love in a couple of years.

10. ejarts

ejarts Member

I DON'T KNOW YOU BRO

11. ejarts

ejarts Member

No clue why Asik is being such a whiner. He's earning millions sitting in the bench on a Contender team. He had a taste of the limelight and now he wants more of it.

Gobble gobble.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am sure this is expediting his departure.

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Because he isn't a Bench Center and is entering the Prime of his career
    Not to Mention he wants to Play for his next Big contract.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Sam Amick
    @ sam_amick
    Northern California
    NBA Insider, USA Today; NBAConfidential.com; formerly of The Sacramento Bee, AOL FanHouse and SportsIllustrated.com. And, since you asked, it's A-mick.
    usatoday.com/staff/2529/sam…

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

can we please get gogi back?

16. ejarts

ejarts Member

Dont forget ya'll. Marcus Camby will be back before playoffs. So we have enough Center depth with Smith soon coming back.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

This is BS. You want more time on the floor, develop a GD jump shot!! You're a f*kin' professional basketball player - while you're at it, learn to catch the d*mn ball!!!

You want to be traded? Play so well as a reserve that teams are beating down Morey's door with great offers!!

But no, we're just giving in to the loser's demands. I freakin' hate this ugly-haired Turkish piece of............. I could take him too. Look in his eyes. He's a sissy, I know it. He looks like he's been crying half the time. This sucks.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

DreamShakeSBN: Rockets may have "deal in place" for Omer Asik, report says http://t.co/Fw5FJKzZzc

If this is accurate then all is left is to speculate until the 15th.

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

if that is the case, Woj will have more details on the players involved and picks if any by this weekend, but the cavs and hawks might bid up over the sixers.