1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So why exactly is Asik sitting out?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

why would he play when hes about to get traded

2. hltiki

hltiki Member

he's injured.

On another note, people keep referring to how much he's getting paid. Guys, if you’re in your prime and wasting your talents away doing jack ****, then guess what, no amount of money will give you happiness. The guy, when healthy, wasn't even playing ball, he was just there. Just because they are NBA players doesn't mean they're not human. If you had obvious talent that you worked your entire life to develop, but went to work for a company that put you in a cubicle all day and watched you wither away into nothingness and obscurity, how would you react? Would you not ask for out immediately? Yes, people who love comfort won’t, but people who have worked their asses off their entire lives won’t take it so lightly. What’s worse is that he spent an entire year carrying the second largest bulk, if not the largest if considering defense, of the work only to be benched in the deepest darkest corner of the Houston roster. It’s demeaning, unjust, and total bull****, but that’s just life I guess.

Should he have griped in public? No. But the blame isn’t all on him, it’s on him not getting playing time or the staff not giving him playing time. There were so many instances, moments, sequences, quarters, and games where his presence alone would have been a positive factor, yet because of politics and drama, he wasn’t there.

All I know is that this guy is waiting to explode. Whichever team he goes to next will find an Asik that will leave his mark, a big 7’ Turkish puddle.

3. TheTruth1

TheTruth1 Rookie

Mocking him all you want by this time in 3weeks he be a full time starter making the exact same salary he's making now and putting up number for a new contract that is just a year and a half away.

Smart move by Asik.

4. bongman

bongman Member

If you are Morey, since everybody knows that Asik will be traded soon, there is no reason to risk a serious injury as that will only diminish his ability to negotiate. Not for a few W's.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What's up with all the pile on negativity?

The guy gave his 110% every minute he was on the floor last season, and his contribution blew away expectation of every analyst and "knowledgeable fan". He was the 2nd best player on the young playoff team.

Because the situation isn't the best for him and the team, he wants to play (anywhere) and the team wants to ship him away, he's now accused of not-professional, selfish, whinny, and ungrateful?

Where is the appreciation from fans? Then what exactly should he be grateful of? It's funny how high moral standard and almost mechanical professionalism are always demanded on others by random fans, and I wonder whether any one of us spending time on Clutchfans in the office gives 110% at work?

1 person likes this.
  6. hltiki

hltiki Member

So much of this. My goodness, I wish I could rep you.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am not mocking him. I am mocking you people.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes he is. He was not injured in November. RT @TexansGuy80: @Jonathan_Feigen Isn't Asik injured?

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 15h

He's out. Injury and draining knee of fluid legit. RT @randyb7914: @Jonathan_Feigen will Asik play tonight or is he shut down for the trade?

Sounds like the injury is legit regarding his knee. The "Thigh Contusion" however I'm not so sure about. That might have been the injury listed as to seem fake when really he has an actual injury.

However I'm not so sure that Morey would be thrilled about it getting out there that he had his knee drained the other day. Could really, really hurt whatever leverage they had in trades lined up for next week, and could potentially ruin a physical if he's not right by then.

9. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I would have agreed with this if he hadn't literally quit on the team after being asked to come off the bench, which is in fact indicative of all the adjectives you listed there.

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What do you mean by quitting on the team? He didn't play hard during T-T experiment? He didn't play hard when he was put in with small lineup? Did he fake injury? Did he went on a surgery without notifying the team?

Can you be more specific how he quits? Or it's one of those moments, when he shouldn't have smiled during a loss or he should have smiled during a win while being planted on the bench?

12. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Asik sucks! Trade his sorry winy ass!

13. TheTruth1

TheTruth1 Rookie

"Should he have griped in public? No. But the blame isn’t all on him, it’s on him not getting playing time or the staff not giving him playing time. There were so many instances, moments, sequences, quarters, and games where his presence alone would have been a positive factor, yet because of politics and drama, he wasn’t ther"

To be fair he did request this trade early in the summer and the rockets dragged their feet. Omer was upfront. The Rockets were not.

14. iamdesperado

iamdesperado Member

That's a very good point.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's not faking it, if they released info about draining his knee. It would only hurt his value in trades.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

can't wait to see Asik get back to his old self for unappreciative people like you

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

They tried to make it work by starting him with DH but it didn't.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Parsons:I understand where (Asik) is coming from but at the end of the day,be a professional,come to work every day and handle your business</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/statuses/402545905972174848">November 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Parsons thought he quit on the team...:eek:

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He refused to play in New York and the couple of games after that. This is "quitting on the team" for me, even if it is temporary. I love Omer Asik and think that he is a generally a good pro as far as I know, but what he did there just wasn't the right thing.

I don't blame him for being upset. But being upset doesn't mean you should refuse to play.

It's like when Scottie Pippen refused to check into a game when Phil Jackson drew up a play for Toni Kukoc. It was only one moment and Pippen was overall great for the Bulls over a long time there, but that he was in the wrong there.

20. hltiki

hltiki Member

I didn't blame him for that, but imo, the information shouldn't have gone public, especially when you career, at that moment in time, is at the mercy of a GM and the coaching staff.

It's not the same thing, but remember when Dwight wanted out from Orlando and went public about it? Yea, it just doesn't bode well for anybody. It's funny, during that time, Orlando HATED him and the fans there called him a traitor and such while in LA, fans were doing the exact opposite, saying how Orlando was a terrible franchise for him to play in and how the franchise and coach wasn't making his life easier.

Well... what do you know, now LA is saying the same **** Orlando fans are saying, which of course to me is all silly nonsense. No matter what GMs and fans want and believe, these are individuals, not chess pieces; and if you're a talented and high value player or a top 5 player at your position, like Asik is, then guess what, it's probably not a good idea to treat him like a total pawn, perhaps at least a rook would be better?