1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Aldridge] Rockets will trade Asik by Thursday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 12, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

3 team deal ehh???... interesting. I dont know if there is any reason to really guess at this point. Every deal Morey has made has seemed to have came directly out of left field.

But who am I kidding, its pretty fun to guess either way with Morey.... mostly cause we are never right in the end.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Amir Johnson's contract is partially guaranteed for $5M next year (out of a $7M total salary), plus a 5% trade kicker.

Anderson Varejao's contract is partially guaranteed for $4M next year (out of a $9.7M total salary), plus a 5% trade kicker.

Paul Millsap's contract is fully guaranteed next year ($9.5M).

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Waiters with Lin is more redundant than Harden with Lin.... Waiters has no outside shot at all, he is all-drive, and tho he is elite at it, he's not the best finisher, bad trade.

4. dobro1229

My guess is that Morey isn't too concerned with Salary next year as he is the year afterwards going into the Summer of 2015.

I think the most important thing with these contracts coming back is can they be moved easily. You'd have to think that Varejao (if healthy) & definitely Milsap would be fairly easy to move. Thad Young, Ilyasova, etc. not so much.

The key for flipping these players potentially later on is the draft pick situation. Houston's picks and young players (except for maybe Jones as of late) probably wont sweeten a deal nearly enough to compete in an offer. They really need to make sure they get at least one really good "lowry type" of pick to set themselves up well for the next trade.

5. basketballholic

Bynum not only can go down with his knees, they are so bad he will go down. He cannot play meaningful minutes in a playoffs series. Bynum is done. He's simply hanging on for dear life for some dollars. Sure he's so big that he can stand flat-footed and lay the ball over the rim practically. But he cannot play meaningful minutes and contribute to a contender. He's simply an expiring contact with a good buyout and a future slow-motion train wreck that we all get to see drug off the court on a gurney while the video of his knee buckling and crunching and contorting underneath him as he falls is playing on the huge video screen above where he lays screaming in pain.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like Varejao and think he would be a good addition for the Rockets. I like that he can play BOTH the 4 and the 5. I like that he can be a good role player and doesn't need the ball to contribute. He can run up and down the floor on a fast team like the Rockets. His contract is good in terms of it being flexible and short.

He is 31 and has had his share of injuries. I have to think IF Morey was to do a Varejao deal, Morey would be getting more than just Varejao. Perhaps a pick or Dion Waiters (who would be obtained just to be an additional 'asset').

I am sure Morey has a list of prime targets....Varejao is probably not at the top of the list, but is on the list.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

I wonder who the player/s they were asking for? This would be a win now move for the Bcats, so Jefferson is out? Possibly it could be Gordon (expiring) straight up or a 2 player package of Sessions (expiring) with either Biyombo or Haywood?

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

If they manage to free up cap space Nowitzki is an option but that move would seemingly deny them the option of signing Llull and/or the Greek kid.

10. dobro1229

Probably the expiring contract of Ben Gordon which means the Rockets would have to throw more salary in the deal to get it done.

So that tells me that the extra pick or pick swap they were asking in the deal might be compensation for whatever player they were sending out.... If you are adding T-Jones or D-Mo to the deal to get it done, I totally understand the additional compensation about their normal asking price.

Had they been offering say MKG & Haywood instead of Gordon, & in that case Houston wouldn't have to offer additional salary, its safe to say they might only need one pick to satisfy the deal.

Its all assumptions, but the point is we dont know why the reasons were the Rockets were asking for additional picks & swaps but there was probably a pretty good reason for it.

11. iamdesperado

iamdesperado Member

As far as I'm concerned, he cost us yesterday's game. Aldridge would not get that many rebounds and points if Asik was on him, to say the least.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't mind verajao if a pick is involved. He can guard 4s better than asik or Howard

13. dobro1229

If they for some reason were able to sign someone of Nowitzki's caliber, I'm sure that bringing over Llull or Papa.... whatever his name is takes a back seat in the priority level. Llull and Papa were more of less acquired as mere trade pieces anyways IMO.

Lets face it though.... no way Dirk is ever let go from Cuban's grasp (even though they talk of pay-cut, lets face it, they WILL pay a ton to keep him this Summer & lock him up for the remainder of his career).

The Summer of 2015 I think is when Morey would just like the opportunity to try and acquire a 3rd star if necessary. There are some big names scheduled to be up for free agency that, and dont forget that its a year before Dwight can opt out. If Houston doesn't get where it wants to get in the playoffs after next year, Morey would probably like a contingency plan to majorly upgrade the team in the future.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Feigan confirmed it! A 3-team trade is on the horizon

15. tonman

tonman Member

and why would charlotte give even one 1st rounder? regarding charlotte, they are offensively challenged not defensively challenged. most any team looking for more talent wouldn't mind having asik but not at that cost. be reasonable.

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

We have to find a way to get Paul Millsap here.. Can you imagine his
    consisten scoring and defense with Dwight on the floor, than you bring in Tjones from the bench- with that hustle.. Unstoppable. you should think of sending Asik + 1st rounder for Millsap... (I mean we wont get a high lottery pick because we are pretty good) Millsap's contract is for 2 years and very
    cheap...

This is just to good to be true though.-- I dont get we will get Millsap though,
    just our luck :(

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

It won't take a pick from us to get him here. Keep in mind, Asik is just the kind of player they need and Al slides right on over to the position Paul was playing.

In fact, if anything, we may get a pick from them in such a deal.

18. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Stop this foolish logic. So what do you do? Have an unhappy Omer Asik until Bynum gets hurt? Cavs are not desperate. Asik is not a superstar. You don't trade a solid player for a guy who at best is of equal talent because you think someone else will get hurt. Why would the Cavs not just wait it out and if/when Bynum goes down, then make the trade? Are they that afraid they won't get Asik they'd be willing to trade the heart and soul of their defense?

THis guy is just hitting his groove, 4 solid games out of last 5, including a pair of 20-10.

19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Charlotte owns Portland's first round pick, top 12 protected, currently #29 in the 2014 draft, as well as Detroit's first round pick, top 8 protected this year, top 1 protected 2015, unprotected 2016, currently #16. As you said previously, Charlotte's pick is owned by Chicago, so the first available pick they could send would be 2016. If Charlotte misses the playoffs, it could be as late as 2018 to see that pick.

I don't care how strong the draft is, there are not going to be 16 franchise players available better than Asik, the #29 pick is a borderline negative asset since it impacts cap space in 2015 for a player unlikely to be a contributor, and a 2016+ protected pick really has minimal value (look at what the top-20 Dallas pick is worth for the Zombie Sonics right now.)

You're going to have a metric crapton of people like Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose cry that Daryl is asking for way too much in the next week, and that Asik has sabotaged his trade value, while conveniently glossing over the fact that a diminished Luis Scola brought back essentially the same return: a former #1 pick in Miles Plumlee (#26), and a future #1, currently #30, in a highly lauded deal.

Personally, I would deal for a wing; I'd love to get a big 3 like Wilson Chandler that can play 4 against 75% of the teams in the league, while allowing Parsons to rest his back, and allowing Garcia to be put back into a glass case labeled "break in case of playoffs". I like Thad Young, but don't think he can play 3; he's basically what we hope Jones becomes in 4 years. Danny Granger would have been great, but it really looks like he's not going to be able to come back and contribute much this year. I'm hesitant on Jeff Green; was just always incredibly underwhelmed by him whenever I watch.

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

A 3 team deal that gets us Varejao is ho hum to me. But I understand why Daryl would go that way.